Alex

Default K Glass; how can one tell?

I am about to but new upvc windows fitted with K glass double glazing.
I was amazed by the fact that 3 out of the 4 the vendors I contacted
asked me if I wanted to opt for K glass.
As far as I know K glass has to be the only option in view of the new
building regulations.
Apparently, there are still plenty of retailers trying to sell non K
glass units.
Does anyone know a foolproof way of identifying K-glass without
shelling 60 quids of so for some specialized equipment?

Thank,

Alex.
Tim Mitchell

In article , Alex
writes
I am about to but new upvc windows fitted with K glass double glazing.
I was amazed by the fact that 3 out of the 4 the vendors I contacted
asked me if I wanted to opt for K glass.
As far as I know K glass has to be the only option in view of the new
building regulations.
Apparently, there are still plenty of retailers trying to sell non K
glass units.
Does anyone know a foolproof way of identifying K-glass without
shelling 60 quids of so for some specialized equipment?

You can see the coating, it has a slight grey/bluey sheen, especially
when the sun shines on it. At least you can on mine.
--
Tim Mitchell
Rick Hughes

"Alex" wrote in message
om...
I am about to but new upvc windows fitted with K glass double glazing.
I was amazed by the fact that 3 out of the 4 the vendors I contacted
asked me if I wanted to opt for K glass.
As far as I know K glass has to be the only option in view of the new
building regulations.
Apparently, there are still plenty of retailers trying to sell non K
glass units.
Does anyone know a foolproof way of identifying K-glass without
shelling 60 quids of so for some specialized equipment?

I phoned my local Pilkington outlet and the Sales Rep came along and tested
every window with a K-Detector ... I wanted to make sure that the units were
all in the right way around.

The detector is about the size of a packet of cigarettes .. lay it on the
glass press button .. beeps if OK.

It works (so he told me) by detecting the magnetic field it puts across the
metal film (K layer)

Rick

Roy

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

"Alex" wrote in message
om...
[...]

As it happens I bought a cheapo buried cable detector yesterday and that
does the job.
It detects the film from the inside- not from the outside.
Also tried it on one of the 15 year old units - no response at all.
Nick.

Andy Wade

Roy wrote:

As it happens I bought a cheapo buried cable detector yesterday and that
does the job.

I discovered this afternoon that the Zircon Triscanner Pro (the official
uk.d-i-y recommended joist and pipe finder) works too. Use stud
deepscan mode and 'calibrate' (i.e. switch on) on known plain glass, or
the outer pane of the DG unit. The coated inner pane then gives a very
positive indication (green LEDs on) on kappafloat glass. Metal scan
mode also works, but gives a much weaker indication - only the outer
pair of red LEDs.

It would be interesting if someone else with a Triscanner could try this
and report their findings.

--
Andy
Alex

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message ...
"Alex" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Magnetic field? Right now then...
I decided to use one of those cheap 'through the wall' detectors
bought for £4 at Aldi stores and it does a fine job.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Alex.
Rick Hughes

"Roy" no_bother@all wrote in message

As it happens I bought a cheapo buried cable detector yesterday and that
does the job.
It detects the film from the inside- not from the outside.
Also tried it on one of the 15 year old units - no response at all.
Nick.

That is right it's supposed to be on the 3rd face from the fornt .. i,e,
inside face of the inner pane.

Rick