Novice

Default 2 port Motorised valve

Can someone explain to me exactly how these work

Do they switch water flow between the copper tank coil and the
radiator system ?

If so what controls the switch ?

Also if you put the switch to manual, will the Central Heating come on
one the the Hot Water starts ?

Thanks

Novice

Andy Hall

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:42:11 GMT, Novice
wrote:

Can someone explain to me exactly how these work

Do they switch water flow between the copper tank coil and the
radiator system ?

Two port ones don't, but three port ones do - I guess that's what you
mean.

There is a paddle or ball inside on a shaft which is rotated by a
geared motor in the head.
A spring in the head drives the mechanism to one end of its travel if
no power is applied to the motor. When power is applied, the motor
runs and moves the ball or paddle to the other end of the travel,
diverting the flow the other way. The motor is held in a stalled
position all the time that the flow this way is needed.

There is an auxiliary microswitch which is used to control the boiler
and probably the pump as well.

More details on the Honeywell web site. Look up W plan and Y plan

If so what controls the switch ?

Also if you put the switch to manual, will the Central Heating come on
one the the Hot Water starts ?

Thanks

Novice

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Novice

So what does a 2 port one do ?

Novice

wrote:

[...]

Andy Hall

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:21:24 GMT, Novice
wrote:

So what does a 2 port one do ?

It's a simple on/off

Some systems have two or more of these instead of a diverter valve and
the Honeywell arrangement is then called S-Plan or S-plan Plus.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ed Sirett

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:21:24 +0000, Novice wrote:

Tit4Tat top posting mode on
Answer: It is a simple open/closed peice of pipe.
See the Main FAQ.

So what does a 2 port one do ?

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Malcolm Reeves

wrote:

Two port ones don't, but three port ones do - I guess that's what you
mean.

There is a paddle or ball inside on a shaft which is rotated by a
geared motor in the head.
A spring in the head drives the mechanism to one end of its travel if
no power is applied to the motor. When power is applied, the motor
runs and moves the ball or paddle to the other end of the travel,
diverting the flow the other way. The motor is held in a stalled
position all the time that the flow this way is needed.

Except for the Sunvic ones which motor the valve both ways and so
don't take power all the time. They are meant to be better than the
type that fight the spring, less likelihood of burning out the motor
as it only runs for a short time.

--

Malcolm

Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
, or ).
Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power
electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

NEW - Desktop ToDo/Reminder program (free)
Andy Hall

wrote:

Two port ones don't, but three port ones do - I guess that's what you
mean.

There is a paddle or ball inside on a shaft which is rotated by a
geared motor in the head.
A spring in the head drives the mechanism to one end of its travel if
no power is applied to the motor. When power is applied, the motor
runs and moves the ball or paddle to the other end of the travel,
diverting the flow the other way. The motor is held in a stalled
position all the time that the flow this way is needed.

Except for the Sunvic ones which motor the valve both ways and so
don't take power all the time. They are meant to be better than the
type that fight the spring, less likelihood of burning out the motor
as it only runs for a short time.

Many of them used to be like this and it's a shame that the design was
changed. However it does mean that you can't drop one of them into a
system wired for the spring return type.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Malcolm Reeves

wrote:

[...]

The sunvic one can. BTW my B&Q Warehouse have sunvic if you want to
look at the datasheet with the valve or
http://www.sunvic.co.uk/3pmv.html for the blurb.

--

Malcolm

Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
, or ).
Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power
electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

NEW - Desktop ToDo/Reminder program (free)
Andy Hall

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:16:14 +0100, Malcolm Reeves
wrote:

Except for the Sunvic ones which motor the valve both ways and so
don't take power all the time. They are meant to be better than the
type that fight the spring, less likelihood of burning out the motor
as it only runs for a short time.

Many of them used to be like this and it's a shame that the design was
changed. However it does mean that you can't drop one of them into a
system wired for the spring return type.

The sunvic one can. BTW my B&Q Warehouse have sunvic if you want to
look at the datasheet with the valve or
http://www.sunvic.co.uk/3pmv.html for the blurb.

Presumably it must have a relay or special contact arrangement to
achieve this......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
raden

In message , Novice
writes

Can someone explain to me exactly how these work

Do they switch water flow between the copper tank coil and the
radiator system ?

If so what controls the switch ?

Also if you put the switch to manual, will the Central Heating come on
one the the Hot Water starts ?

Do you mean a 2 port or a 3 port?

A two port valve is effectively an on-off switch

--
geoff

raden

In message , Malcolm Reeves
writes
wrote:

Two port ones don't, but three port ones do - I guess that's what you
mean.

There is a paddle or ball inside on a shaft which is rotated by a
geared motor in the head.
A spring in the head drives the mechanism to one end of its travel if
no power is applied to the motor. When power is applied, the motor
runs and moves the ball or paddle to the other end of the travel,
diverting the flow the other way. The motor is held in a stalled
position all the time that the flow this way is needed.

Except for the Sunvic ones which motor the valve both ways and so
don't take power all the time.

Sunvic make both types

They are meant to be better than the
type that fight the spring, less likelihood of burning out the motor
as it only runs for a short time.

--
geoff
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Except for the Sunvic ones which motor the valve both ways and so
don't take power all the time. They are meant to be better than the
type that fight the spring, less likelihood of burning out the motor
as it only runs for a short time.

Many of them used to be like this and it's a shame that the design was
changed. However it does mean that you can't drop one of them into a
system wired for the spring return type.

The sunvic one can. BTW my B&Q Warehouse have sunvic if you want to
look at the datasheet with the valve or
http://www.sunvic.co.uk/3pmv.html for the blurb.

Presumably it must have a relay or special contact arrangement to
achieve this......

No, it's controlled by a microswitch on a cam

--
geoff

Honeywell 2 port valve problem Andy Morris UK diy 6 April 30th 04 09:55 AM
Motorised Valve Kevin Rayner UK diy 5 January 28th 04 08:22 AM
Slightly tricky plumbing question Andrew Koenig Home Ownership 3 November 6th 03 09:45 PM
Central Heating Motorised Valve xtinexoop UK diy 9 October 3rd 03 11:33 AM
Mid-Position 3 Port Valve - Hot Water (A) position & OFF - but HW flow to boiler? Clivedodd UK diy 3 September 9th 03 12:53 AM