vivienne wykes

Default barn damp question

Hi all,

I am converting a barn to a house. In a few places the outside ground level
is higher than the inside floor level by up to 1metre. The walls are mixed
stone around 600mm thick I will be framing and boarding all walls.

Is there a solution or combination of tasks which will keep the damp on the
outside of the building pref. that I can do myself. Bitumen was suggested to
me ie coating the inside of the walls and perhaps digging out the exterior
to floor level and filling with chips ( stone gravel not american crisps!).

Any info welcome

Jim

N. Thornton

"vivienne wykes" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I am converting a barn to a house. In a few places the outside ground level
is higher than the inside floor level by up to 1metre. The walls are mixed
stone around 600mm thick I will be framing and boarding all walls.

Is there a solution or combination of tasks which will keep the damp on the
outside of the building pref. that I can do myself. Bitumen was suggested to
me ie coating the inside of the walls and perhaps digging out the exterior
to floor level and filling with chips ( stone gravel not american crisps!).

Any info welcome

Jim

something youd be wise to read:
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...orum.pl?page=1
will save you from a few problems.

NT
Rick Dipper

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:59:00 GMT, "vivienne wykes"
wrote:

Hi all,

I am converting a barn to a house. In a few places the outside ground level
is higher than the inside floor level by up to 1metre. The walls are mixed
stone around 600mm thick I will be framing and boarding all walls.

Is there a solution or combination of tasks which will keep the damp on the
outside of the building pref. that I can do myself. Bitumen was suggested to
me ie coating the inside of the walls and perhaps digging out the exterior
to floor level and filling with chips ( stone gravel not american crisps!).

Any info welcome

Jim

Jim, I am doing a similar project, my rear wall was 600mm thick stone
rubble. its 1.8 m from finished floor to ground level.

We made the decision to rebild the wall, a huge job. Now thats done,
the BCO and the architech can't agree on how to tank it.

If you put the waterproofer on the inside the wall is always wet, and
the water will push the waterproofer off.

If you waterproof the outside, and lay a french drain, the wall is
dry, and thew water will push the waterproofer ont the wall, however
you can not make the waterproofer continious with the foor membrane.

I tanked under the wall when it was built, to keep the BCO happy I am
tanking the inside (continious with the DPM/DPC), and to keep me
happy, the outside as well (the BCO won't inspect this) and laying the
franch drain. The tanking (proofex 3000) has to be applied to a smooth
wall, so you will need to render it. Rendering a lime mortar wall is
not recomended so there is the reason I rebuilt.

On the other side of the building the floor is a little under ground
level, say 2 inches. I am simply running the DPC (visqueen zedex 1.45m
wide) under the bottom on the inner wall we are building up the
outside (in the cavity) 3 blocks and then back in.

On a third wall, where the ground is 1 m hugh, I will build a block
wall oustide the house, and tank this + franch drain, as its easier
than rendering the stone wall. The BCO is not inspecting this, as its
orignal, so he has no worries, but it keeps me happy.

I have found pickquick service in leeds sell the products you need
very cheepy, I do a 150 mile round trip to buy my stuff.

You can of course simply apply a membrane to the stone wall, which the
plaster sticks too, no idea what its called but its in the shop.

Rick