vivienne wykes

Default barn damp question

Hi all,

I am converting a barn to a house. In a few places the outside ground level
is higher than the inside floor level by up to 1metre. The walls are mixed
stone around 600mm thick I will be framing and boarding all walls.

Is there a solution or combination of tasks which will keep the damp on the
outside of the building pref. that I can do myself. Bitumen was suggested to
me ie coating the inside of the walls and perhaps digging out the exterior
to floor level and filling with chips ( stone gravel not american crisps!).

Any info welcome

Jim