Alex

Default Suspended ground floor condensation problem

I have installed rockwool insulation blankets under the floor and I am
now experiencing some worrying problems with condensation as the
insulation itself gets very humid at times with water dripping onto
the DPM laid on top of the underfloor (no concrete).

The floor is made of 18mm plywood nailed on top of the joists. The
insulation is placed between the joists. The crawling space is about
600-800mm deep.

I am thinking of reducing the crawling space (and so the volume of
air) so that the existing ventilation will be more efficient.
Someone mentioned to install a vapour check membrane underside the
plywood (floor).
Will the above work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Alex
Cicero

N. Thornton wrote:

(Alex) wrote in message

. com...

I have installed rockwool insulation blankets under the floor and I am
now experiencing some worrying problems with condensation as the
insulation itself gets very humid at times with water dripping onto
the DPM laid on top of the underfloor (no concrete).

The floor is made of 18mm plywood nailed on top of the joists. The
insulation is placed between the joists. The crawling space is about
600-800mm deep.

I am thinking of reducing the crawling space (and so the volume of
air) so that the existing ventilation will be more efficient.
Someone mentioned to install a vapour check membrane underside the
plywood (floor).
Will the above work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Alex

remove the rockwool, that was a design error I'm afraid. More air
bricks may help to some extent, but you still need to remove the
rockwool as it prevents air movement round the wood.

NT

--------------------
I disagree.

I would say the correct thing to do would be to isntall a vapour barrier
above the insulation, and ensure decent insulation.

Its no different from an insulated loft, upside down really.

-------------------
I think that rockwool isn't the best insulation to use in this situation.

I used 2" polystyrene slabs wedged between the joists. This was suggested
and approved by my local Building Regs people and by the company who
supplied the polystyrene. Building Regs suggested that there should be no
gap between the insulation and the under-surface of the floor. The company
who provided the polystyrene suggested that a 1/2" gap would be helpful in
case of liquid spillage from above. The suggested 1/2" gap was to ensure
that any spillage would drain away safely past the insulation.

I'm not sure what 'The Natural Philosopher' intended when he said,
".............draught proof below it ............". It's actually
important to maintain the existing ventilation (via the airbricks) under the
insulation to prevent condensation / rot etc.

Cic.

xavier

(Alex) wrote in message . com...
I have installed rockwool insulation blankets under the floor and I am
now experiencing some worrying problems with condensation as the
insulation itself gets very humid at times with water dripping onto
the DPM laid on top of the underfloor (no concrete).

The floor is made of 18mm plywood nailed on top of the joists. The
insulation is placed between the joists. The crawling space is about
600-800mm deep.

I am thinking of reducing the crawling space (and so the volume of
air) so that the existing ventilation will be more efficient.
Someone mentioned to install a vapour check membrane underside the
plywood (floor).
Will the above work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Alex

I think you have two problems he

1. There will be a vapour pressure from the living accommodation
which is acting to force warm, moist air down via the permeable
flooring. This is resulting in interstitial condensation and it's
manifesting itself within the rockwool insulation.

2. This is exacerbated by a poor air circulation beneath the rockwool
although even with a dramatic improvement in ventilation, problem 1 is
likely to persist. (I don't understand or recommend your intended
reduction in airspace)

I don't think (as NT says) that rockwool is the ideal insulant here,
probably Kingspan or somnething similar would be more appropriate.

Even if you increase sub floor ventilation, you are still going to
have the potential problem of the interstitial condensation and the
only way you're likely to overcome this is by placing a vapour barrier
(as your friend suggested) directly under the floor decking, between
it and the rockwool. I guess this isn't really an option though (is
it?)

You must ensure that any damp rockwool is either dried out or removed
as quickly as possible. If your joists achieve and retain a moisture
content in excess of 20 percent you could easily develop a fungal
problem.

MY tuppenceworth would be to suggest you remove the rockwool and
replace it with Kinspan or do away with it all together. Although its
marginally 'helping' your fuel efficiency, its also having the
detrimental affect of lowering the sub floor temperature and thus
increasing the relative humidty. This will present you with an
ongoing condensation problem...

The Natural Philosopher

Cicero wrote:

N. Thornton wrote:

(Alex) wrote in message

. com...

[...]

That I would not dispute.
Its a vpuour barrier initself. Celotex even better.

I used 2" polystyrene slabs wedged between the joists. This was suggested
and approved by my local Building Regs people and by the company who
supplied the polystyrene. Building Regs suggested that there should be no
gap between the insulation and the under-surface of the floor. The company
who provided the polystyrene suggested that a 1/2" gap would be helpful in
case of liquid spillage from above. The suggested 1/2" gap was to ensure
that any spillage would drain away safely past the insulation.

I'm not sure what 'The Natural Philosopher' intended when he said,
".............draught proof below it ............". It's actually
important to maintain the existing ventilation (via the airbricks) under the
insulation to prevent condensation / rot etc.

I menat to stop draights coming up through the cracks in the (rockwool)
insulation.

i.e. from teh bootom up, a berathable membarne, to stop darughts, then
rockwool, then a DPM and tehn borads over teh joitss.

Buit I like poolystrene better apart from teh fire hazrd. Celotex best
of all, between the joists, taped down with the special tape and then
boarded over.

Cic.

Cicero

Cicero wrote:

N. Thornton wrote:

(Alex) wrote in message

. com...

[...]

=============
I understand now what you meant. In fact if you don't close the cracks in
the insulation (whatever it may be) then there isn't much point in doing the
insulation at all.

Buit I like poolystrene better apart from teh fire hazrd. Celotex best
of all, between the joists, taped down with the special tape and then
boarded over.

======================
The Building Regs person I spoke to stated that the fire risk didn't bother
him at all. I assume that he meant it isn't a great risk rather than it was
me and not him at risk!

Cic.

G&M

"Alex" wrote in message
om...
I have installed rockwool insulation blankets under the floor and I am
now experiencing some worrying problems with condensation as the
insulation itself gets very humid at times with water dripping onto
the DPM laid on top of the underfloor (no concrete).

The floor is made of 18mm plywood nailed on top of the joists. The
insulation is placed between the joists. The crawling space is about
600-800mm deep.

I am thinking of reducing the crawling space (and so the volume of
air) so that the existing ventilation will be more efficient.
Someone mentioned to install a vapour check membrane underside the
plywood (floor).
Will the above work? Any other suggestions?

The Rockwool needs to be placed firmly against the bottom of the floor so
that no moist air can get there and allow condensation inside the Rockwool.
A vapour sheet above the Rockwool will also help.

However in any underfloor where insulation is added, it is often helpful to
increase airflow by adding a humidity controlled extractor fan in front of
one of the air bricks, and ensure there are adequate airbricks for fresh air
to enter.

Pete C

Hi

Another way of doing it would be to remove the rockwool, stuff it in a
binliner and take it outside, then wrap/'bag' it in thick polythene
tube or sheet stapled and sealed with tape, then replace it under the
floorboards.

Would then be much nicer to work with under the floorboards if it is
wrapped in this way.

cheers,
Pete.
G&M

"Pete C" wrote in message
news
Hi

Another way of doing it would be to remove the rockwool, stuff it in a
binliner and take it outside, then wrap/'bag' it in thick polythene
tube or sheet stapled and sealed with tape, then replace it under the
floorboards.

Would then be much nicer to work with under the floorboards if it is
wrapped in this way.

Yes - but it may not insulate very well if it is compressed like this.
Rockwool depends on being fairly 'fluffy' to work.

N. Thornton

"Cicero" wrote in message ...
N. Thornton wrote:
(Alex) wrote in message

. com...

[...]

the difference is that the underfloor void is constantly wet.
If or when any damp gets past that barrier, as IRL it will, it is then
trapped, and rot will occur. The floorboards will be nailed thru the
barrier, lots of holes.

-------------------
I think that rockwool isn't the best insulation to use in this situation.

I used 2" polystyrene slabs wedged between the joists. This was suggested
and approved by my local Building Regs people and by the company who
supplied the polystyrene. Building Regs suggested that there should be no
gap between the insulation and the under-surface of the floor. The company
who provided the polystyrene suggested that a 1/2" gap would be helpful in
case of liquid spillage from above. The suggested 1/2" gap was to ensure
that any spillage would drain away safely past the insulation.

I'm not sure what 'The Natural Philosopher' intended when he said,
".............draught proof below it ............". It's actually
important to maintain the existing ventilation (via the airbricks) under the
insulation to prevent condensation / rot etc.

Cic.

expect rot. Dryness and air movement are the 2 things that avoid it.

Regards, NT
The Natural Philosopher

N. Thornton wrote:
"Cicero" wrote in message ...

N. Thornton wrote:

(Alex) wrote in message

. com...

[...]

so is an unventilated (cold) roof space.

The key as you say is ventilation.

No real problem with nailing through the DPM. Its not like its a pond
liner. Its there to reduce teh progress of damp air to the point where
natural ventilation can deal with it.

-------------------
[...]

Actually, its dryness pure and simple.

Acchieved by keeping teh rain out, and not allowing condensatuoin to
build up.

Hence DPM and ventialtin.

Regards, NT

Cicero

snipped
------------
I disagree.

I would say the correct thing to do would be to isntall a vapour

barrier
above the insulation, and ensure decent insulation.

Its no different from an insulated loft, upside down really.

the difference is that the underfloor void is constantly wet.
If or when any damp gets past that barrier, as IRL it will, it is then
trapped, and rot will occur. The floorboards will be nailed thru the
barrier, lots of holes.

snipped
---------------
expect rot. Dryness and air movement are the 2 things that avoid it.

====================
I wouldn't describe the underfloor void in my house as
"..............constantly wet.......". If anything it appears very dry - dry
enough to encourage mummification. The problem is that the underfloor is so
well ventilated that it creates a very cold floor especially in cold windy
weather. I appreciate that there are houses in low-lying ground which do
have damp ground surfaces, but it isn't universally the case. I would be
very surprised if the insulation I've installed leads to any form of rot.

Regards, NT

N. Thornton

(xavier) wrote in message . com...
(Alex) wrote in message . com...
[...]

at last, someone who understands the issues. The short story is:
remove the rockwool.

NT
RichardS

snip

Buit I like poolystrene better apart from teh fire hazrd. Celotex best
of all, between the joists, taped down with the special tape and then
boarded over.

I too was concerned about potential fire hazard when insulating under my
wooden floor, so I got the manufacturer's technical dept number from wickes
(was using standard wickes 50mm polystyrene insulation) and called them
(can't remember the company name or number offhand, but they're a
manufacturer based near Hull & I think they also make Jablite).

I wanted to know whether I should be using insulation containing fire
retarders.

They reckon it isn't an issue for ground floors and that the standard stuff
is perfectly safe & meets applicable regs.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

IMM

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
(xavier) wrote in message

. com...
(Alex) wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Before doing something so drastic, I would make sure the underfloor
ventilation is clear. If clear then add a few more air bricks and monitor.
This is a far simpler, and less upheaval, than ripping out fitted
insulation.

Pete C

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:33:43 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message
news
Hi

Another way of doing it would be to remove the rockwool, stuff it in a
binliner and take it outside, then wrap/'bag' it in thick polythene
tube or sheet stapled and sealed with tape, then replace it under the
floorboards.

Would then be much nicer to work with under the floorboards if it is
wrapped in this way.

Yes - but it may not insulate very well if it is compressed like this.
Rockwool depends on being fairly 'fluffy' to work.

Hi,

No need to compress it, just wrap it fairly loosely. It needs to be
compressed a little when pushed between the joists for a snug fit, I'd
expect the effect of that on in it's insulation ability is pretty
small.

cheers,
Pete.
N. Thornton

"IMM" wrote in message ...
"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
(xavier) wrote in message

. com...
(Alex) wrote in message
. com...
[...]

doesnt really solve the problem. Mould wont grow when the woods
sometimes wet but soon dries off again, and has airflow, ie as
original design. When you put rockwool up it stops the airflow, so
instead you get a steady averaged RH, high enough for rot to grow, and
no ventilation, again encouraging mould.

NT
xavier

"IMM" wrote in message ...
"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
(xavier) wrote in message

. com...
(Alex) wrote in message
. com...
[...]

The situation here is as follows:

There is a cold area (sub-floor space) with a warm area (living space)
above. The vapour pressure differential will be (as is almost always
the case) such that the vapaour pressure in the living space is
greater than that in the sub floor space and thus moistened air will
move from the living space to the sub floor space. Sandwiched between
these two areas is the Rockwool and naturally there will be a
temperature gradient across it - from virtually room temperature at
the upper level to outside temperature at the lower level.

Thus, as the warm air moves through the Rockwool it will cool and
there will be a point within the rockwool where the dew point
temperature is reached. At this point interstitial condensation will
occur. (Don't forget that the sub floor space is now cooler than it
was prior to the installation of the Rockwool and thus Dew Point is
reached more often than before)

To cure this problem the moisture contained in the warm air from the
living space must be prevented from being carried through into the sub
floor space. The only feasible way to achieve this is to insert a
vapour barrier. To me this seems like a very difficult thing to
achieve although I suppose that painting the floor with an impermeable
surface could conceivably work and, if you really want to leave the
Rockwool in place, then this is what you need to try first.

Increasing the ventilation will probably not help the situation. It
will make the sub floor space cooler if anything and thus will
increase the temperature gradient across the rockwool. Its main
effect will probably be to raise the dew point physically higher in
the rockwool band (nearer the living area). The ventilation will have
little if any effect on helping the moisture to evaporate harmlesslly.

This problem is much more than theoretical as far as the OP is
concerned because if it persists (and as winter approaches it will
probably get worse) then his floor joists could be in imminent danger
of fungal attack.

It's one of those 'good ideas' that can have ramifications which are
far worse than the problem you're trying to cure. It's lucky he
noticed it, most people would have nailed the trap door down and
forgotten all about it (until the floor fell in that is).

Either remove the Rockwool or place an effective vapour barrier
between the two areas. Anything else is tinkering )

Xav

p.s. I'm working on the assumption that his UF ventilation was
adequate prior to the Rockwool. He doesn't seem to have had this
problem before then...
David

"xavier" wrote in message
om...

[...]

that's a nice summary and explanation of this type of problem.

the most frightening thing though, as you note, is the number of people who
may well have done something similar and now have no idea what is going on
down below. While this issue is well recognised when insulating between
rafters in lofts, it doesn't get the same exposure when applied to the floor
, although it is essentially the same problem.

I've seen some plans for a couple of extensions that were drawn up with a
similar set up and no mention of a vapour barrier as I recall. While I had
intially apporached the architect who drew these up, to do my extension
plans, he was ditched after a couple of meetings, and having given this
matter a little more attention I may well have a quick word with some
friends who used him for some work a while ago.

As a consequence of Part L, of the regs people give greater consideration to
the underfloor insualation but the emphasis is not always there that if you
do this then the vapour barrier is essential, it needs eduction of both the
building insectors and the builders, who need to ensure that care is taken
to ensure an intact and well sealed membrane.

cheers

David

The Natural Philosopher

David wrote:

"xavier" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Mm. Its the recommended way of keeping radon gas below danger levels too
- suspended floor and contiguous DPM under it.

Not many peple are buildng suspended timber floors at gruond floor level
these days, but if I had to do it, I'd celotext the joists, and tape
right over before laying to boards. Might even add a DPM in addition,
tho the celotex tape has the same effect.

I should say that when I demolihed my old house, there was a small pond
under the suspended wooden floor, which led to a lot of uptake of water
ino teh (non DPC'ed) brick chimneys. The floor was laid on fired clay
plates on IIRC a couple of bricks, and tho there was no DPC, the rot was
mainly in the timbers around the fireplace, not in general in the floor.

Central heating had kept the boards dry enough.

cheers

David

G&M

"David" wrote in message

As a consequence of Part L, of the regs people give greater consideration

the underfloor insualation but the emphasis is not always there that if

you
do this then the vapour barrier is essential, it needs eduction of both

the
building insectors and the builders, who need to ensure that care is taken
to ensure an intact and well sealed membrane.

Question to all - if one is going to put in a membrane, would it be better
on top or underneath the floorboards ?

Obviously underneath is required if you want to show the floorboards but if
you have carpets or some other covering it seems to me that putting it on
top of the floorboards would keep moisture properly out whereas putting it
underneath would still allow condensation on the joists and underside of the
boards - and then keep it there !

Any thoughts ?

The Natural Philosopher

G&M wrote:

"David" wrote in message

[...]

cant see it makes much difference really, I thik I'd put it safely
underneath tho, from pure 'in case someone digs a screwdriver into it
and pours a botle of wine over the top' ness :-)

xavier

"G&M" wrote in message ...
"David" wrote in message

As a consequence of Part L, of the regs people give greater consideration

the underfloor insualation but the emphasis is not always there that if

you
do this then the vapour barrier is essential, it needs eduction of both

the
building insectors and the builders, who need to ensure that care is taken
to ensure an intact and well sealed membrane.

Absolutely agree. IME Rockwool is an absolute sod for holding
moisture and the wetter it gets, the better it gets at getting wetter
- if you see what I mean!

Question to all - if one is going to put in a membrane, would it be better
on top or underneath the floorboards ?

Obviously underneath is required if you want to show the floorboards but if
you have carpets or some other covering it seems to me that putting it on
top of the floorboards would keep moisture properly out .....
Any thoughts ?

The object of all this is to stop moisture laden air getting into the
sub floor space. If you put your dpm on top of the floor then this
will work. The problem is that at some stage in the proceedings
someone is going to come along and remove it (perhaps after you're
long dead and gone) because they won't realise the purpose of it. The
Rockwool still being there will then start the IC ball rolling!

whereas putting it underneath would still allow condensation on the
joists and underside of the boards - and then keep it there !

Visible condensation won't normally occur in the subfloor space if
it's ventilated adequately and the inclusion of a dpm separating it
from the living spaces will reduce the risk even further (as indeed
would another dpm over the actual ground itself). The Interstitial
Condensation ocurring because of previously mentioned circumstances is
the greater risk.

xav
G&M

"xavier" wrote in message
om...
whereas putting it underneath would still allow condensation on the

?joists and underside of the boards - and then keep it there !

Visible condensation won't normally occur in the subfloor space if
it's ventilated adequately and the inclusion of a dpm separating it
from the living spaces will reduce the risk even further (as indeed
would another dpm over the actual ground itself). The Interstitial
Condensation ocurring because of previously mentioned circumstances is
the greater risk.

My suggestion was that since the Rockwool is pressing the DPM against the
underside of the joists and floorboards, these won't be getting any
ventilation and in fact are at quite some risk of damage. But this depends
on whether moist air would condense on top of the DPM above the Rockwool or
not ? Any thoughts ?

The Natural Philosopher

xavier wrote:

"G&M" wrote in message ...

"David" wrote in message

[...]

No. Not with insulation underneath. The boards would be warm and have an
upwards direction for moisture to migrate.

Visible condensation won't normally occur in the subfloor space if
it's ventilated adequately and the inclusion of a dpm separating it
from the living spaces will reduce the risk even further (as indeed
would another dpm over the actual ground itself). The Interstitial
Condensation ocurring because of previously mentioned circumstances is
the greater risk.

xav

The Natural Philosopher

G&M wrote:

"xavier" wrote in message
om...

whereas putting it underneath would still allow condensation on the

?joists and underside of the boards - and then keep it there !

Visible condensation won't normally occur in the subfloor space if
it's ventilated adequately and the inclusion of a dpm separating it
from the living spaces will reduce the risk even further (as indeed
would another dpm over the actual ground itself). The Interstitial
Condensation ocurring because of previously mentioned circumstances is
the greater risk.

My suggestion was that since the Rockwool is pressing the DPM against the
underside of the joists and floorboards, these won't be getting any
ventilation and in fact are at quite some risk of damage. But this depends
on whether moist air would condense on top of the DPM above the Rockwool or
not ? Any thoughts ?

it won't condense. You need a markedly colder surface and that is the
far sie of teh insulation only.

Te rule is always 'warm and moist side, internal surace finish, then
DPM, then insulation (these two may be the same as with e.g. celotex and
its sealing tape, then cold side with ventilation'

The point is that the thermal and moisture barriers need to be in the
same plane or the DPM on the warm side of the insulation.

G&M

xavier wrote:

"G&M" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

[...]

Good point.

And it saves me ripping down what I've already done under our floorboards
with a mixture of Rockwool and Celotex.

Cicero

snipped

whereas putting it underneath would still allow condensation on the
joists and underside of the boards - and then keep it there !

No. Not with insulation underneath. The boards would be warm and have an
upwards direction for moisture to migrate.

Good point.

And it saves me ripping down what I've already done under our floorboards
with a mixture of Rockwool and Celotex.

==============
Can you describe your mixture of Rockwool and Celotex? Is it substantially
different from my version of insulation (described in an earlier part of
this thread)? I installed 2" polystyrene boards between the joists and
the difference is already noticeable. An added bonus is that the rooms are
much quieter especially so the room fronting the road. I believe that
Celotex would be even better than polystyrene but I don't understand why you
would use the Rockwool as well.

Cic.

G&M

"Cicero" wrote in message

snipped

[...]

Sorry to be confusing - they are separate areas. Celotex is used under the
main living room and is stuffed tightly between the joists. Rockwool is
used in a similar manner under the conservatory as that has underfloor
heating and the Rockwool forms a good bed for the pipes to sit in whereas
the usual manner of keeping foam in place by friction would probably not
work and fall down every time the joists heated and cooled.

Foam is definitely the right solution in your case.

Cicero

"G&M" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message

snipped

[...]

Thanks for the explanation - knowledge for future reference.

Cic.

Alex

"Cicero" wrote in message ...
"G&M" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message

snipped

[...]

Thank you all for your replies.
There are still some points which need to clearify but I'll take care
to examine carefully your advice first.
In fact I think I'll install a vapour check and monitor the
results...thanks god for that trap door!
Meanwhile, it looks as the problem is not so nasty as I initially
thought. The condensation problems seems to arise only on very hot
humid days (e.g. last July).
I had to crawl with mop and bucket to clear those poodles of stagnant
water. Then I left the trap door open and the rockwool got completely
dry in a couple of weeks.
I want to see what is going to happen this winter when the central
heating is on.

Thank you very much

P.S
Those morons at Manchester Town Hall building controls...I contacted
them before installing the insulation and they guarantee me there was
no need for vapour check?
G&M

"Alex" wrote in message
om...
snipped

P.S
Those morons at Manchester Town Hall building controls...I contacted
them before installing the insulation and they guarantee me there was
no need for vapour check?

How would they know. They're just people waiting for jobs in the more
enjoyable traffic warden department next door.