Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Default Plywood

I been looking but can't find a site in the UK that delivers and shows
prices of plywood. (outdoor), anyone have a URL to recommend. I need to
price up my observatory project
Thanks
Steve

--
The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com

Andy Hall

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:25:04 +0000 (UTC), "Steve -
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote:

I been looking but can't find a site in the UK that delivers and shows
prices of plywood. (outdoor), anyone have a URL to recommend. I need to
price up my observatory project
Thanks
Steve

You can get prices for ply from any timber merchant or the chains of
them like Jewsons.

For exterior use, the Rolls Royce product is marine ply, but it is
pretty expensive. A reasonable alternative, as long as you protect
it with painting is WBP (water & boil proof).

It's possible that your project will have more specific requirements
but that should be a start.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Sploop

I normally play one supplier against the other. Recently rang Merton Timber,
they priced 18mm WBP 8x4 £26+ a sheet. Told them that Champion could do it
for £19.50 at 10 sheets. Merton said they wouldn't be beaten by Champion and
gave £19.05. Did same at Alloways.

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:25:04 +0000 (UTC), "Steve -
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote:

I been looking but can't find a site in the UK that delivers and shows
prices of plywood. (outdoor), anyone have a URL to recommend. I need to
price up my observatory project
Thanks
Steve

You can get prices for ply from any timber merchant or the chains of
them like Jewsons.

For exterior use, the Rolls Royce product is marine ply, but it is
pretty expensive. A reasonable alternative, as long as you protect
it with painting is WBP (water & boil proof).

It's possible that your project will have more specific requirements
but that should be a start.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Michael Mcneil

"Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote in message

I been looking but can't find a site in the UK that delivers and shows
prices of plywood. (outdoor), anyone have a URL to recommend. I need to
price up my observatory project

There are two different ways to price it. Thickness or quality. The
price obviously increases with thickness. Quality ranges from use to
finish.

Shuttering ply is the cheapest. It will last outdoors but not for
very long you will see it used outdoors as shuttering ply with a limited
life of one or two pours. (More if handled carefully.) It is usually
used in hoarding with just a couple of coats of paint and will last for
as long as most sites need them.

Exterior ply will last a lot longer. Commonly used on the edges of
roofs. (Soffits -the bit with the vents in.) Painted it will last years.

More quality differences come with the way knots in the face are
treated.

"One side finished" will leave the knots on the other side but cut and
patched on the good. There are other varieties of this classing to look
out for.

Sheds will usually only stock one type. Most builders will have
a limited variety depending on local needs. Manufacturers will supply to
specification for a delivery. (Probably not cost effective for your
needs.)

You can use anything you like if you are going to cover it with felt or
whatever.

Since the observatory will be open in use, I suggest you just use 1/4"
exterior ply, paint both sides and fix through pressure treated (roof)
battens, using mastic on the edges/under the batten.

Rick Dipper

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:25:04 +0000 (UTC), "Steve -
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote:

I been looking but can't find a site in the UK that delivers and shows
prices of plywood. (outdoor), anyone have a URL to recommend. I need to
price up my observatory project
Thanks
Steve

Wickes and B&Q deliver, as will most wood yards.

Rick