Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Default Talking of screed...

Is it suitable for outside use, on a path?

I'll explain better: running along the back of my house is a strip of
concrete, about 25' long by 5' wide, which is evenly flat but quite badly
cracked. Rather than digging the whole lot out and re-laying more concrete I
wondered if there's something available which would give a nice "new"
surface but be no more than about 15mm-20mm thick?

It can't be too thick because there's a rainwater drain in the corner and a
big square metal access lid to the sewer right in the middle of it. What I'd
like is something which could be poured on and left to level itself. Yeah
right

Any ideas?

Si

The Natural Philosopher

Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Is it suitable for outside use, on a path?

I'll explain better: running along the back of my house is a strip of
concrete, about 25' long by 5' wide, which is evenly flat but quite badly
cracked. Rather than digging the whole lot out and re-laying more concrete I
wondered if there's something available which would give a nice "new"
surface but be no more than about 15mm-20mm thick?

It can't be too thick because there's a rainwater drain in the corner and a
big square metal access lid to the sewer right in the middle of it. What I'd
like is something which could be poured on and left to level itself. Yeah
right

Any ideas?

Si

screed no good except in bulk.
Tarmac or bitumen and chippings?

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

screed no good except in bulk.
Tarmac or bitumen and chippings?

There's a thought. That sounds very...sticky though.

Si

Capstick

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Is it suitable for outside use, on a path?

I'll explain better: running along the back of my house is a strip of
concrete, about 25' long by 5' wide, which is evenly flat but quite badly
cracked. Rather than digging the whole lot out and re-laying more concrete

wondered if there's something available which would give a nice "new"
surface but be no more than about 15mm-20mm thick?

It can't be too thick because there's a rainwater drain in the corner and

big square metal access lid to the sewer right in the middle of it. What

I'd
like is something which could be poured on and left to level itself. Yeah
right

Any ideas?

Smash the existing up even more to give a good bite

then mix a fine concrete using small 3/8 chippings.
That will do the job. IMO.

test a bit first if unsure.....

---

The Natural Philosopher

Capstick wrote:
[...]

Yes. that's sound. Smash it and make new mix using old bits.

4" of generalised muck and concrete will make a fine new path.

---

Thin screed and underfloor heating? Paul Clarke UK diy 5 September 19th 03 08:53 PM
Screed floors David Oneill UK diy 1 July 16th 03 01:00 PM
latex screed on concrete floor Ian Johnson UK diy 0 July 9th 03 05:32 PM