Paul Clarke

Default Thin screed and underfloor heating?

I have an existing narrow solid floor hallway, about 3.6 x 0.8 m. The
concrete floor has about 4-5 mm screed (concrete base is very rocky so depth
is variable), the house is old and sothere is no sub-floor insulation.

Do I have any realistic options for getting in underfloor heating - without
raising the floor level or digging up concrete (I might just be able to bear
digging up the screed - again)?. Would prefer wet UFL but would think about
electric - but not on uninsulated floor (to be tiled).

As far as I can see I'm snookered unless I can cram adequate insulation plus
a screed plus UFL plus ceramic tiles into about 40 mm.

The alternative would be very thin wall radiators - if such things exist!.

Paul

Christian McArdle

The alternative would be very thin wall radiators - if such things exist!.

You can get skirting radiators. They are thicker than skirting boards and
don't look as nice, though.

Christian.

For example: John Smith

The alternative would be very thin wall radiators - if such things exist!.

I have a single panel radiator in smaller space than yours. Total distance
from wall to "outer" edge of rad is 75mm.

That would not eat up much of your 800mm. I have much less width than that,
and still have room to pass.

In my understanding (as a prospective buyer, not an expert), 40mm is not
enough to for a proper installation of underfloor heating.

Paul Clarke

I've found that, according to the below site, some insulation boards
('Marmox'
- there may be others) can be used over, or instead of, screed rather than
under
it. You can then lay electric UFH and tile over that. Comes in various
thickness
from 10mm, I'd need to check out it's fire-resistant qualities though.

As the passage takes a lot of thru traffic, including bikes, I'm keen to
avoid radiators or
any wall-mounted heaters that would obstruct and get knocked over time if
possible.

Wet UFH still looks difficult, 40mm (4-5mm in OP was a typo!) doesn't seem
enough to play with...

Paul.

http://www.floorheatingsystems.com/i...mox/marmox.htm
"For example: John Smith" wrote in message

The alternative would be very thin wall radiators - if such things

exist!.

I have a single panel radiator in smaller space than yours. Total distance
from wall to "outer" edge of rad is 75mm.

That would not eat up much of your 800mm. I have much less width than

that,
and still have room to pass.

In my understanding (as a prospective buyer, not an expert), 40mm is not
enough to for a proper installation of underfloor heating.

Rick Hughes

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message

The alternative would be very thin wall radiators - if such things

exist!.

I have a single panel radiator in smaller space than yours. Total distance
from wall to "outer" edge of rad is 75mm.

That would not eat up much of your 800mm. I have much less width than

that,
and still have room to pass.

In my understanding (as a prospective buyer, not an expert), 40mm is not
enough to for a proper installation of underfloor heating.

40mm is on the edge, 50mm is OK as long as you use fibre reinforced screed.

You could proabaly get away with 40mm if you used a 100mm square steel mesh
about 10mm or so up from base of screed and used a fibre reinforced screed.

Rick

Martin Angove

In message ,
"Rick Hughes" wrote:

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message

The alternative would be very thin wall radiators - if such things

exist!.

I have a single panel radiator in smaller space than yours. Total distance
from wall to "outer" edge of rad is 75mm.

That would not eat up much of your 800mm. I have much less width than

that,
and still have room to pass.

Or possibly this:

http://www.heatprofile.co.uk/

?

It's a skirting board radiator (but not like the nasty ones you used to
have in school) and is 140mm high by just 25mm deep. You might need a
fair length of it (180 W/m at 80C) but it should be easier than UFH...

Just a thought.

Hwyl!

M.

--