Potsie

Default Qu: Shower Pumps

My plumber plans to put in a separate dual-impeller pump for each of
my three showers. A colleague has suggested that since this is a new
installation it would be better to have 2 better single impellers (one
hot, other cold. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Many thanks
Potsie
BigWallop

Default Shower Pumps

"Potsie" wrote in message
om...
My plumber plans to put in a separate dual-impeller pump for each of
my three showers. A colleague has suggested that since this is a new
installation it would be better to have 2 better single impellers (one
hot, other cold. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Many thanks
Potsie

Hi Potsie,

Yes ! The answer would be to fit Central Heating Pumps to both your hot
and cold supply pipes to lift the pressure in the whole system and not just
to the showers. That way you cut down on maintenance costs, only to pumps
to look after, shower installation costs, you could install a larger range
of decent showers, and running costs because the power used by two central
heating pumps on demand switches would be less.

Tony Bryer

In article , BigWallop wrote:
Yes ! The answer would be to fit Central Heating Pumps to both your hot
and cold supply pipes to lift the pressure in the whole system and not just
to the showers.

Don't you need bronze pumps in this situation?

Andy Hall

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:36:52 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Potsie" wrote in message
. com...
My plumber plans to put in a separate dual-impeller pump for each of
my three showers. A colleague has suggested that since this is a new
installation it would be better to have 2 better single impellers (one
hot, other cold. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Many thanks
Potsie

Hi Potsie,

Yes ! The answer would be to fit Central Heating Pumps to both your hot
and cold supply pipes to lift the pressure in the whole system and not just
to the showers. That way you cut down on maintenance costs, only to pumps
to look after, shower installation costs, you could install a larger range
of decent showers, and running costs because the power used by two central
heating pumps on demand switches would be less.

For an application like this, the pumps must be brass or bronze -
which CH ones are not.

An alternative is simply to put in a large single pump and run all
three from it. Stuart Turner have a good range with details on
their web site.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
David W.E. Roberts

"Potsie" wrote in message
om...
My plumber plans to put in a separate dual-impeller pump for each of
my three showers. A colleague has suggested that since this is a new
installation it would be better to have 2 better single impellers (one
hot, other cold. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Many thanks
Potsie

I am about to run a second shower off my dual impeller pump - the pump can
allegedly run two showers at once (rated 3 Bar). Given that the showers will
not always be used at the same time this should be more than adequate.
However, we will see :-)

You can get larger pumps which I presume could run three at once.

It is not clear to me if two single impeller pumps are better than a twin
impeller - I presume they probably would be, but would be more expensive.

I see no particular reason to have three seperate pumps; they would all be
sucking on the same hot water tank which could cause interesting problems if
they are not set up right, and would at a minimum have some interesting
pipework.

I would feel happier with a single bigger pump pressurising the hot water
system and not competing with the other pumps for the hot water cylinder.
[Same goes for the tank fed cold.]

BTB you are going to need the mother of all hot water cylinders (and cold
water header tank) if you are planning to run three power showers at the
same time :-)

HTH
Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y
HughGW

"Potsie" wrote in message
om...
My plumber plans to put in a separate dual-impeller pump for each of
my three showers. A colleague has suggested that since this is a new
installation it would be better to have 2 better single impellers (one
hot, other cold. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Many thanks
Potsie

Potsie,

I recently fitted a Salamander ESP75CPV which pressurises the whole hot and
cold water system so that you get power wherever you need it. As one of the
other responders says though, I had to replace the HWC and the cold water
tanks to make sure I had enough stored up.

Why not ask Pumpwise helpline FREE www.pumpwise.co.uk or 0870 855 4200
Mon-Fri 9-5 they'll send you a free booklet all about required storage,
pressures, negative head, postive head etc. They were really helpful.

Good luck!

Hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete

I'm looking at pumps at the moment. The advice in B&Q is you can have one
more powerful pump for a multi-shower installation.

I read somewhere else that pumps should have a dedicated pipe, assume that
is input pipe though.

"HughGW" wrote in message

om...