Old June 14th 21, 02:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:08:06 +0100, R D S, another mentally deficient
troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered:

On 13/06/2021 16:50, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do some people raise their voice at the end of every sentence?

Because they went to Band Camp?

Why do you answer retarded questions, senile idiot?

Old June 14th 21, 04:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rise in pitch at the end of every sentence

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:06:57 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

On 14/06/2021 08:25 am, Rod Speed wrote:

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

No its called a dialect.

Nope, dialects are different.

Indeed they are and this affectation is NOT a dialect.

I have a relative in Liverpool - a university student - who affects this
style (probably semi-consciously). Although away from the city these
last forty-five years, I can tell the world that the Australian rising
inflection *never* formed part of any of the various Liverpool accents.
it is entirely learned from the media over the last thirty to forty years.

Some people talk in monotones and sound a bit like a 20 year old
speech synth.

Neither of those are dialects.

Correct.

Commander Kinsey wrote

Why do some people raise their voice at the end of every sentence? It
sounds like they're asking a question. Glaswegians and Australians
are particularly bad for it. Are they unsure of everything they say
and are seeking confirmation?

I feel they are not so much asking a question, but implying "Are you
familiar with what I'm saying, because you may be old?"
--
Dave W
Old June 14th 21, 08:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.computer.workshop

wrote:

[...]

It makes me think they're not sure what they just said is correct, and are waiting for you to say "uh-huh" after every phrase. Maybe they want to make sure you're paying attention.
Old June 14th 21, 08:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

JNugent wrote:
Nope, dialects are different.

Indeed they are and this affectation is NOT a dialect.

It may not be a dialect, but I'm not sure that there's
any indication it's an affectation either:

affectation: speech or conduct not natural to oneself :
an unnatural form of behavior meant especially to
impress others.

However annoying you might find it, if it is a natural part
of the way they happen to speak, and not one chosen deliberately
by them, it isn't an affectation.

#Paul
Old June 15th 21, 10:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2021 07:29 pm, #Paul wrote:

JNugent wrote:

Nope, dialects are different.

Indeed they are and this affectation is NOT a dialect.

It may not be a dialect, but I'm not sure that there's
any indication it's an affectation either:

affectation: speech or conduct not natural to oneself :
an unnatural form of behavior meant especially to
impress others.

"behaviour"?

However annoying you might find it, if it is a natural part
of the way they happen to speak, and not one chosen deliberately
by them, it isn't an affectation.

They are copying it from others (whether in the media or in their peer
groups - or both). It hasn't arisen naturally and would not do so in a
country such as the UK

Old June 15th 21, 12:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default OT: Rise in pitch at the end of every sentence

On 13/06/2021 16:50, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do some people raise their voice at the end of every sentence? It
sounds like they're asking a question. Glaswegians and Australians are
particularly bad for it. Are they unsure of everything they say and are
seeking confirmation?

The comedian Rory McGrath christened it the "moronic interrogative" back
in 2004. I've seen it referred to as that in The Times.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Old June 15th 21, 01:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 11:48:17 +0100, Another Dave, yet another brain dead
troll-feeding senile IDIOT, blathered

The comedian Rory McGrath christened it the "moronic interrogative" back
in 2004. I've seen it referred to as that in The Times.

Another Dave

Nope, senile asshole, it has been christened BAITING (practiced by retarded
trolls) which you retarded senile idiots gladly and thankfully succumb to,
every time! Yep, you ARE that retarded and senile! Try to "think" about it,
if your senility still allows you to do so.
Old June 15th 21, 08:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 11:48:17 +0100, Another Dave wrote:

On 13/06/2021 16:50, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do some people raise their voice at the end of every sentence? It
sounds like they're asking a question. Glaswegians and Australians are
particularly bad for it. Are they unsure of everything they say and are
seeking confirmation?

The comedian Rory McGrath christened it the "moronic interrogative" back
in 2004. I've seen it referred to as that in The Times.

An excellent description. Comedians are often the best to get the real answers.