UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,768
Default Combined heat and smoke alarm

I have a problem with an EI44 heat alarm in the kitchen, which goes off
when the gas hob is on. It's a small kitchen, and it's mounted at about
the maximum distance from the hob.

The best solution would be to replace it with an alarm that requires
*both* heat and smoke before it sounds.

Anybody have a suggestion, please?
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,904
Default Combined heat and smoke alarm

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 15:44:08 +0100, GB
wrote:

I have a problem with an EI44 heat alarm in the kitchen, which goes off
when the gas hob is on. It's a small kitchen, and it's mounted at about
the maximum distance from the hob.

The best solution would be to replace it with an alarm that requires
*both* heat and smoke before it sounds.

Anybody have a suggestion, please?


I very much doubt if this would comply with fire regulations. I am
sure an alarm has to be triggered by presence of smoke (with heat
alarms possibly optional) and introducing a two-stage trigger would
not be permitted.
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25,191
Default Combined heat and smoke alarm

On 09/06/2021 15:46, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 15:44:08 +0100, GB
wrote:

I have a problem with an EI44 heat alarm in the kitchen, which goes off
when the gas hob is on. It's a small kitchen, and it's mounted at about
the maximum distance from the hob.

The best solution would be to replace it with an alarm that requires
*both* heat and smoke before it sounds.

Anybody have a suggestion, please?


I very much doubt if this would comply with fire regulations. I am
sure an alarm has to be triggered by presence of smoke (with heat
alarms possibly optional) and introducing a two-stage trigger would
not be permitted.


You could locate the smoke alarm just outside the kitchen, and the heat
alarm in it such that either could raise an alarm.


--
Cheers,

John.

/================================================== ===============\
| Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
| John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
\================================================= ================/
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,768
Default Combined heat and smoke alarm

On 09/06/2021 18:04, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/06/2021 15:46, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 15:44:08 +0100, GB
wrote:

I have a problem with an EI44 heat alarm in the kitchen, which goes off
when the gas hob is on. It's a small kitchen, and it's mounted at about
the maximum distance from the hob.

The best solution would be to replace it with an alarm that requires
*both* heat and smoke before it sounds.

Anybody have a suggestion, please?


I very much doubt if this would comply with fire regulations.* I am
sure an alarm has to be triggered by presence of smoke (with heat
alarms possibly optional) and introducing a two-stage trigger would
not be permitted.


You could locate the smoke alarm just outside the kitchen, and the heat
alarm in it such that either could raise an alarm.


There is a smoke alarm on the landing outside the kitchen.
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,161
Default Combined heat and smoke alarm

On 09/06/2021 15:44, GB wrote:
I have a problem with an EI44 heat alarm in the kitchen, which goes off
when the gas hob is on. It's a small kitchen, and it's mounted at about
the maximum distance from the hob.

The best solution would be to replace it with an alarm that requires
*both* heat and smoke before it sounds.

Anybody have a suggestion, please?



Is this a recent problem or has it always done it?

The Ei144 is a fixed temperature alarm set to 58 deg.

I was wondering if it may have gone out of calibration.

There are combined heats and smokes but they do not work the way you
want them to:-(

BTW Have you seen these?

https://www.aico.co.uk/product/ei152...ontrol-switch/


--
Adam


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,159
Default Combined heat and smoke alarm

On 09/06/2021 15:44, GB wrote:
I have a problem with an EI44 heat alarm in the kitchen, which goes off
when the gas hob is on. It's a small kitchen, and it's mounted at about
the maximum distance from the hob.

The best solution would be to replace it with an alarm that requires
*both* heat and smoke before it sounds.

Anybody have a suggestion, please?


I had this problem and I was advised to instal a 'rate of heat rise'
sensor. This solved it.

Bill
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,768
Default Combined heat and smoke alarm

On 10/06/2021 01:37, williamwright wrote:
On 09/06/2021 15:44, GB wrote:
I have a problem with an EI44 heat alarm in the kitchen, which goes
off when the gas hob is on. It's a small kitchen, and it's mounted at
about the maximum distance from the hob.

The best solution would be to replace it with an alarm that requires
*both* heat and smoke before it sounds.

Anybody have a suggestion, please?


I had this problem and I was advised to instal a 'rate of heat rise'
sensor. This solved it.

Bill



Thanks, Bill. That looks very promising.
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39,563
Default Combined heat and smoke alarm

On 10/06/2021 13:00, GB wrote:
On 10/06/2021 01:37, williamwright wrote:
On 09/06/2021 15:44, GB wrote:
I have a problem with an EI44 heat alarm in the kitchen, which goes
off when the gas hob is on. It's a small kitchen, and it's mounted at
about the maximum distance from the hob.

The best solution would be to replace it with an alarm that requires
*both* heat and smoke before it sounds.

Anybody have a suggestion, please?


I had this problem and I was advised to instal a 'rate of heat rise'
sensor. This solved it.

Bill



Thanks, Bill. That looks very promising.


My sodding alarms go off if I have a shower and don't close the bathroom
doors...


--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,161
Default Combined heat and smoke alarm

On 10/06/2021 13:32, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 10/06/2021 13:00, GB wrote:
On 10/06/2021 01:37, williamwright wrote:
On 09/06/2021 15:44, GB wrote:
I have a problem with an EI44 heat alarm in the kitchen, which goes
off when the gas hob is on. It's a small kitchen, and it's mounted
at about the maximum distance from the hob.

The best solution would be to replace it with an alarm that requires
*both* heat and smoke before it sounds.

Anybody have a suggestion, please?

I had this problem and I was advised to instal a 'rate of heat rise'
sensor. This solved it.

Bill



Thanks, Bill. That looks very promising.


My sodding alarms go off if I have a shower and don't close the bathroom
doors...



Then swap from ionisation to optical.

--
Adam
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,768
Default Combined heat and smoke alarm

On 10/06/2021 18:27, ARW wrote:
On 10/06/2021 13:32, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 10/06/2021 13:00, GB wrote:
On 10/06/2021 01:37, williamwright wrote:
On 09/06/2021 15:44, GB wrote:
I have a problem with an EI44 heat alarm in the kitchen, which goes
off when the gas hob is on. It's a small kitchen, and it's mounted
at about the maximum distance from the hob.

The best solution would be to replace it with an alarm that
requires *both* heat and smoke before it sounds.

Anybody have a suggestion, please?

I had this problem and I was advised to instal a 'rate of heat rise'
sensor. This solved it.

Bill


Thanks, Bill. That looks very promising.


My sodding alarms go off if I have a shower and don't close the
bathroom doors...



Then swap from ionisation to optical.


That's pretty much what AICO said to me.


  #11   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39,563
Default Combined heat and smoke alarm

On 10/06/2021 18:27, ARW wrote:
On 10/06/2021 13:32, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 10/06/2021 13:00, GB wrote:
On 10/06/2021 01:37, williamwright wrote:
On 09/06/2021 15:44, GB wrote:
I have a problem with an EI44 heat alarm in the kitchen, which goes
off when the gas hob is on. It's a small kitchen, and it's mounted
at about the maximum distance from the hob.

The best solution would be to replace it with an alarm that
requires *both* heat and smoke before it sounds.

Anybody have a suggestion, please?

I had this problem and I was advised to instal a 'rate of heat rise'
sensor. This solved it.

Bill


Thanks, Bill. That looks very promising.


My sodding alarms go off if I have a shower and don't close the
bathroom doors...



Then swap from ionisation to optical.

Not enough of a problem to be worth the effort


--
Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the
gospel of envy.

Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.

Winston Churchill

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smoke alarm alarm Bert Coules UK diy 28 January 18th 21 12:19 PM
Connecting smoke alarm to burglar alarm robgraham UK diy 6 November 30th 10 11:00 AM
Smoke alarm or stink alarm LSMFT Home Repair 3 March 28th 10 12:55 AM
Kidde Combined Smoke / CO Alarm Matt Home Ownership 5 November 17th 06 05:45 PM
Kidde Combined Smoke / Co Alarm Matt UK diy 1 November 2nd 06 08:31 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"