UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,082
Default Smoke alarm alarm

I have a mains smoke alarm with a 9v battery backup. It started to beep:
regular beeps at roughly ten second intervals for something like a minute,
then a long silence before it started again.

According to the manual this is the battery-low warning, so I took off the
cover, removed the battery - and then discovered that I didn't have a
replacement.

I replaced the body of the unit without the battery - and it's still
beeping. Not regularly this time but seemingly at random: beep... beep
beep beep... beep beep. Again this is for about a minute at a time.
There's nothing in the manual about this and it seems too irregular for a
built-in "no battery present" warning (and if there was one, I imagine the
instructions would mention it).

I don't want to turn the alarm off overnight but I think I might have to.

Has anyone else encountered this or something similar?

Thanks.

  #2   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,161
Default Smoke alarm alarm

On 15/01/2021 17:15, Bert Coules wrote:
I have a mains smoke alarm with a 9v battery backup.¬* It started to
beep: regular beeps at roughly ten second intervals for something like a
minute, then a long silence before it started again.

According to the manual this is the battery-low warning, so I took off
the cover, removed the battery - and then discovered that I didn't have
a replacement.

I replaced the body of the unit without the battery - and it's still
beeping.¬* Not regularly this time but seemingly at random:¬* beep... beep
beep beep... beep beep.¬* Again this is for about a minute at a time.
There's nothing in the manual about this and it seems too irregular for
a built-in "no battery present" warning (and if there was one, I imagine
the instructions would mention it).

I don't want to turn the alarm off overnight but I think I might have to.

Has anyone else encountered this or something similar?

Thanks.



The unit checks the voltage of the battery and bleeps when the voltage
is low.

Replacing the unit to mains power without a battery will show as low
voltage and as there is no reference at all to 9V has probably confused
the PCB.

You need a battery.

--
Adam
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,082
Default Smoke alarm alarm

ARW wrote:

You need a battery.


Oh, I accept that - I just hoped the unit would be (silently) operational
overnight without one.

Many thanks for the explanation.

  #4   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,061
Default Smoke alarm alarm

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
ARW wrote:


You need a battery.


Oh, I accept that - I just hoped the unit would be (silently) operational
overnight without one.


Many thanks for the explanation.


Could you not "borrow" one from something else?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
"I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,082
Default Smoke alarm alarm

One oddity in the manual is a stern warning that any replacement battery
must be not only the right specification, which is of course correct, but
also the right *make* because anything could cause damage.

Could the manufacturer have done a sneaky deal with Duracell, I wonder?




  #6   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,161
Default Smoke alarm alarm

On 15/01/2021 20:26, Bert Coules wrote:
One oddity in the manual is a stern warning that any replacement battery
must be not only the right specification, which is of course correct,
but also the right *make* because anything could cause damage.

Could the manufacturer have done a sneaky deal with Duracell, I wonder?


Make and model


--
Adam
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,082
Default Smoke alarm alarm

ARW wrote:

Make and model.


It seems to be by Ei Electronics of Shannon in Ireland, though the manual
also gives contact details for Aico Ltd in Oswestry.

The model is Ei141RC.

The (strongly) recommended battery a Duracell MN1604 Energizer 9 V.


  #8   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,264
Default Smoke alarm alarm

Bert Coules wrote:
The (strongly) recommended battery a Duracell MN1604 Energizer 9 V.


That could be code for 'don't use a zinc carbon from Poundland'.

Theo
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,161
Default Smoke alarm alarm

On 15/01/2021 21:40, Bert Coules wrote:
ARW wrote:

Make and model.


It seems to be by Ei Electronics of Shannon in Ireland, though the
manual also gives contact details for Aico Ltd in Oswestry.

The model is Ei141RC.

The (strongly) recommended battery a Duracell MN1604 Energizer 9 V.




They are called Ei because they are made in the Emerald Isles






--
Adam
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,591
Default Smoke alarm alarm

On 15/01/2021 21:52, Theo wrote:
Bert Coules wrote:
The (strongly) recommended battery a Duracell MN1604 Energizer 9 V.


That could be code for 'don't use a zinc carbon from Poundland'.


But an 9V alkaline from Poundland would be a good equivalent to the
manufacturer's preference.


  #12   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,699
Default Smoke alarm alarm

Can you not raid one from something else. I'm assuming a pp3 is the battery.
Lots of el chepo radios use those still.
Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARW wrote:

You need a battery.


Oh, I accept that - I just hoped the unit would be (silently) operational
overnight without one.

Many thanks for the explanation.



  #13   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 40,893
Default Smoke alarm alarm

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Can you not raid one from something else. I'm assuming a pp3 is the
battery. Lots of el chepo radios use those still.


The only thing of mine that uses one is the Fluke 19

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARW wrote:

You need a battery.


Oh, I accept that - I just hoped the unit would be (silently) operational
overnight without one.

Many thanks for the explanation.



  #14   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,082
Default Smoke alarm alarm

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

So what is stopping you getting the right battery and putting it in?


Yesterday, the fact that I didn't have one. Today, only my reluctance to go
into a shop, however briefly.

I have however ordered one as part of my grocery shopping and it will be
delivered tomorrow.

  #15   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,082
Default Smoke alarm alarm

Fredxx wrote:

But an 9V alkaline from Poundland would be a good equivalent to the
manufacturer's preference.


You don't think Duracell are up to much? Why is that?


  #16   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 493
Default Smoke alarm alarm



"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Fredxx wrote:

But an 9V alkaline from Poundland would be a good equivalent to the
manufacturer's preference.


You don't think Duracell are up to much? Why is that?


I had the spare for my Fluke 19 split before I got to use it.

  #17   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15,560
Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rodent Speed!

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 19:12:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent
Speed, the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
his particular prowess at it every day."
MID:
  #18   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,082
Default Smoke alarm alarm

Fred wrote:

I had the spare for my Fluke 19 split before I got to use it.


That is poor, but is it common?


  #19   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15,560
Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rodent Speed!

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 20:31:17 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

--
Marland answering senile Rodent's statement, "I don't leak":
"ThatĘs because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
nothing left to exit normally, your arsehole has clammed shut through disuse
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Message-ID:
  #20   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43,017
Default Smoke alarm alarm

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
One oddity in the manual is a stern warning that any replacement battery
must be not only the right specification, which is of course correct, but
also the right *make* because anything could cause damage.


Could the manufacturer have done a sneaky deal with Duracell, I wonder?


Not sure how a crude device like this could tell what make of battery
you've fitted.

It's not like a printer that has 'smart' chips in the replacment ink
cartridges.

Just the typical nonsense you get in the instructions for many such
things. Generic instructions they use on everything they make.

--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.


  #21   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,591
Default Smoke alarm alarm

On 16/01/2021 09:19, Bert Coules wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

But an 9V alkaline from Poundland would be a good equivalent to the
manufacturer's preference.


You don't think Duracell are up to much?¬* Why is that?


I didn't actually say that, did I?

Why don't you think Kodak and Polaroid 9V alkaline batteries are up to much?
  #22   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,082
Default Smoke alarm alarm

Fredxx wrote:

I didn't actually say that, did I?


Apologies if I misunderstood.

Are you saying then that despite the general impression, the
bargain-basement Poundland product is in reality not inferior to any of the
branded ones?


  #23   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,161
Default Smoke alarm alarm

On 16/01/2021 09:18, Bert Coules wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

So what is stopping you getting the right battery and putting it in?


Yesterday, the fact that I didn't have one.¬* Today, only my reluctance
to go into a shop, however briefly.


Called into a sandwich shop today in Doncaster and everyone (staff and
customers) looked at me like I had the plague because I was the only one
wearing a face mask.






I have however ordered one as part of my grocery shopping and it will be
delivered tomorrow.


:-). Job sorted

--
Adam
  #24   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,591
Default Smoke alarm alarm

On 16/01/2021 13:43, Bert Coules wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

I didn't actually say that, did I?


Apologies if I misunderstood.

Are you saying then that despite the general impression, the
bargain-basement Poundland product is in reality not inferior to any of
the branded ones?


There have been a few comparisons made over the years of different makes
of alkaline AA batteries including those sold in Poundland. This is one
I found in a quick search:
http://www.newsdownload.co.uk/pages/...stProject.html

Value for money goes to the alternative named makes one might find in
Poundland.
  #25   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 493
Default Smoke alarm alarm



"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Fred wrote:

I had the spare for my Fluke 19 split before I got to use it.


That is poor, but is it common?


I havent seen it before, but its my only device that uses those batteries
and I replace that battery very rarely, only after a few years.



  #26   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15,560
Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rodent Speed!

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 06:37:22 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:


FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread


--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old senile Australian
cretin's pathological trolling:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/r...d-faq.2973853/
  #27   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,082
Default Smoke alarm alarm

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not sure how a crude device like this could tell what make of battery
you've fitted.


Well, quite. But I could imagine some users being tricked into thinking
that Duracells have some unique property and that any other (especially
cheaper) make might not function correctly - and for a safety device that
could be worrying.




  #28   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 35
Default Smoke alarm alarm

On 18/01/2021 09:01, Bert Coules wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not sure how a crude device like this could tell what make of battery
you've fitted.


Well, quite.¬* But I could imagine some users being tricked into thinking
that Duracells have some unique property and that any other (especially
cheaper) make might not function correctly - and for a safety device
that could be worrying.




and their no leak guarantee is not worth the paper it might be written
on.....

--
On FT8 nobody knows you're a dog ...
  #29   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43,017
Default Smoke alarm alarm

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:


Not sure how a crude device like this could tell what make of battery
you've fitted.


Well, quite. But I could imagine some users being tricked into thinking
that Duracells have some unique property and that any other (especially
cheaper) make might not function correctly - and for a safety device
that could be worrying.


Most instructions for this sort of thing contain reams and reams of
totally irrelevant information. To please the lawyers. To the point where
few read them carefully.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cigarette smoke grabber for solder smoke? Jim Horton Electronics Repair 7 October 31st 19 02:10 AM
Connecting smoke alarm to burglar alarm robgraham UK diy 6 November 30th 10 10:00 AM
Smoke alarm or stink alarm LSMFT Home Repair 3 March 27th 10 11:55 PM
Smoke alarms for rooms where people smoke [email protected] UK diy 26 January 10th 05 04:54 PM
Mains powered smoke detector with alarm accept loop. Z UK diy 8 May 20th 04 02:45 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2024 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"