Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fish and Chips - How come?

How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more expensive
it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

Maybe because coastal locations are often tourist hot-spots, and there is a
surcharge as an unofficial "tourist tax".

Anyway The Magpie (the one that is close to the fish dock) has a high
reputation and you are probably paying a premium for the name as well as the
quality. We actually prefer Mister Chips on the other (east) side of the
bridge and just round the right-hand bend.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2021 14:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

I don't know these days, but for years the most expensive petrol was the
nearest petrol station to Fawley Refinery, Hampshire.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2021 14:38, NY wrote:

Anyway The Magpie (the one that is close to the fish dock) has a high
reputation and you are probably paying a premium for the name as well as
the quality. We actually prefer Mister Chips on the other (east) side of
the bridge and just round the right-hand bend.

We had excellent fish and chips at the little cafe near the Magpie, and
much cheaper.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2021 14:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

At Uig the pub charged us a fortune for the beer 'because of transport
costs'. But the brewery is 100 yards away.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 04/06/2021 14:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

At Uig the pub charged us a fortune for the beer 'because of transport
costs'. But the brewery is 100 yards away.

Bill

but, the ingredients needed to be brought in from far away.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 04/06/2021 14:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

About £6.50 to £7.50 for regular fish and chips in places in South
Yorkshire.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 18:31:29 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

but, the ingredients needed to be brought in from far away.

Yup, in the case of fish, often from abroad (in the EU) where they
still have migrant workers willing to process the fish and where our
fisherman can land them without huge quantities of paperwork.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 18:31:29 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

but, the ingredients needed to be brought in from far away.

Yup, in the case of fish, often from abroad (in the EU) where they
still have migrant workers willing to process the fish and where our
fisherman can land them without huge quantities of paperwork.

Read Fred Normandale's books about life as a fisherman in Scarborough
between the 1960s and 2000s for his views on the ever-increasing bureaucracy
and regulation of the British fishing industry - and his comments about
Dutch mega-trawlers being allowed to fish only a few miles off the British
coast and refusing even to obey the "rule of the road" for vessels at sea.

They are an excellent series of books that portray the good and the bad of
life on a trawler. My only criticism is that in his first book he should
have included a diagram of the various parts of a trawl net (cod-end,
bobbins, boards) and of the winch mechanism on the trawler, since he refers
to these terms a lot. Maybe even a series of diagrams showing what happens
as the net is gradually winched in. It would help understand what is
happening when it all goes wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 04/06/2021 14:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

About £6.50 to £7.50 for regular fish and chips in places in South
Yorkshire.

£8 here from the mobile chippy who been coming every week during lockdown.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2021 18:31, charles wrote:
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 04/06/2021 14:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

At Uig the pub charged us a fortune for the beer 'because of transport
costs'. But the brewery is 100 yards away.

Bill

but, the ingredients needed to be brought in from far away.

The heaviest ingredient comes from a mountain stream just behind the
brewery!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2021 23:03, Robin wrote:

Count your (several) selves lucky: £10.50 for cod/haddock & chips
locally; £11.50 at Faulkners in Kingsland Rd; and a slog to Theobalds Rd
if you want them fried in dripping for £9.75.

They give me indigestion anyway. Also, my own chips are far far superior
to chip shop chips, and I roast the fish, so no indigestion.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:
On 04/06/2021 14:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.
At Uig the pub charged us a fortune for the beer 'because of transport
costs'. But the brewery is 100 yards away.

Bill

but, the ingredients needed to be brought in from far away.

The heaviest ingredient comes from a mountain stream just behind the
brewery!

Bill

Your reply is too late! Yesterday was National Fish and Chip Day 2021.

(But not as late as most of those coming from homeowners hub.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds fishy, but on the other hand, a lot of coastal shops say, locally
caught fish, and these are normally via small operations with high costs.
Most of the rest of the country use bulk factory caught fish I'd suggest of
indeterminate breed and heritage.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more expensive
it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 04/06/2021 14:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60.
Whitby, next to the fish dock, £9-ish.
At Uig the pub charged us a fortune for the beer 'because of transport
costs'. But the brewery is 100 yards away.

Bill

but, the ingredients needed to be brought in from far away.

The heaviest ingredient comes from a mountain stream just behind the
brewery!

Bill

but you wouldn't think it was beer without the hops and barley

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY used his keyboard to write :
Anyway The Magpie (the one that is close to the fish dock) has a high
reputation and you are probably paying a premium for the name as well as the
quality. We actually prefer Mister Chips on the other (east) side of the
bridge and just round the right-hand bend.

We ended up last evening in the 'Abbey ????', paying £11.50 each for
basic haddock F&C's. I'm not a great lover of fish, but the fish was
superb. We went there, because it was one of the ones where you could
take a dog in with you - there were quite a few in there and a few
minor scraps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright expressed precisely :
We had excellent fish and chips at the little cafe near the Magpie, and much
cheaper.

Terry's ? We used to go there and eat in shifts, one looking after the
dog, but their prices have shot up too, so round to the 'Abbey ??' on
the oppoosite side of the river.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 04/06/2021, charles supposed :
£8 here from the mobile chippy who been coming every week during lockdown.

Pensioners Special £3.60 (or £3.80 from another local chippie) - small
haddock, far too many chips and a pot of peas or curry, as a take-away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:
On 04/06/2021 14:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.
At Uig the pub charged us a fortune for the beer 'because of transport
costs'. But the brewery is 100 yards away.

Bill

but, the ingredients needed to be brought in from far away.

The heaviest ingredient comes from a mountain stream just behind the
brewery!

Bill

Your reply is too late! Yesterday was National Fish and Chip Day 2021.

Well that is guaranteed to add a premium onto their prices, plus
the one that is going to give and give for ages, "Lockdown
recovery surcharge"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 19:59:33 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

They are an excellent series of books that portray the good and the bad of
life on a trawler. My only criticism is that in his first book he should
have included a diagram of the various parts of a trawl net (cod-end,
bobbins, boards) and of the winch mechanism on the trawler, since he refers
to these terms a lot. Maybe even a series of diagrams showing what happens
as the net is gradually winched in. It would help understand what is
happening when it all goes wrong.

I know all about when it goes wrong and the problem is nothing to do
with the equipment (other than how it decimates fish numbers, impacts
other wildlife species, destroys habitat and causes all the *extra*
unnecessary death from 'bycatch').

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

Try other F&C shops in Whitby other than the ones a tourist uses thinking
it must be the best.

Bit like visitors to London thinking beer costs £12 a pint...

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
NY used his keyboard to write :
Anyway The Magpie (the one that is close to the fish dock) has a high
reputation and you are probably paying a premium for the name as well as
the quality. We actually prefer Mister Chips on the other (east) side of
the bridge and just round the right-hand bend.

We ended up last evening in the 'Abbey ????', paying £11.50 each for basic
haddock F&C's. I'm not a great lover of fish, but the fish was superb. We
went there, because it was one of the ones where you could take a dog in
with you - there were quite a few in there and a few minor scraps.

I'd expect *lots* of (batter) scraps in a F&C shop ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2021 13:16, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 19:59:33 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

I know it all

FYPFY
YVW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2021 14:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

Tourist areas
The rents are high
They have to factor in out of season costs and make their money while
the sun shines !
I suspect the quality is often better or more reliable away from the
tourist areas as they rely on repeat visits from local regulars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2021 09:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
williamwright expressed precisely :
We had excellent fish and chips at the little cafe near the Magpie,
and much cheaper.

Terry's ? We used to go there and eat in shifts, one looking after the
dog, but their prices have shot up too, so round to the 'Abbey ??' on
the oppoosite side of the river.

never mind fish and chips going up, the whole of the shop population has
decided we all have to pay for their misfortune because of covid.Prices
are going through the roof everywhere, typical British rip off attitude,
leg of lamb will now cost from £17.00 to £33.00. Why?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 15:40:08 +0100, Richard
wrote:

On 05/06/2021 13:16, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 19:59:33 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

I know it all

FYPFY

With BS?

YVW

So, why are UK fishing boats sailing a fair distance to land their
catch rather than landing it in the UK?

Or are you jealous that I have an idea but you don't?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/06/2021 13:16, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 19:59:33 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

I know it all

FYPFY

With BS?

YVW

So, why are UK fishing boats sailing a fair distance to land their
catch rather than landing it in the UK?

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn.

Or are you jealous that I have an idea but you don't?

Do I envy your version of reality? No.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 14:31:39 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

Because it tastes better if you eat it with a view of the sea,
apparently.
--

"You must therefore confess that by 'individual' you mean no other person
than the bourgeois; than the middle-class owner of property. This person

- Marx & Engels, The Communist Manifesto
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/06/2021 13:16, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 19:59:33 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

I know it all

FYPFY

With BS?

YVW

So, why are UK fishing boats sailing a fair distance to land their
catch rather than landing it in the UK?

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn.

So it looks like you were right and I do know it all (well, in
comparison to you anyway (low hanging fruit I know but I'll take it
when I can). ;-)

Or are you jealous that I have an idea but you don't?

Do I envy your version of reality?

Ooooh, I can answer that, 'yes', (because it *is* reality)?

Yes.

Hey, I was right!
(IFYPFY)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/06/2021 13:16, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 19:59:33 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

I know it all

FYPFY

With BS?

YVW

So, why are UK fishing boats sailing a fair distance to land their
catch rather than landing it in the UK?

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn.

So it looks like you were right and I do know it all (well, in
comparison to you anyway (low hanging fruit I know but I'll take it
when I can). ;-)

Or are you jealous that I have an idea but you don't?

Do I envy your version of reality?

Ooooh, I can answer that, 'yes', (because it *is* reality)?

Yes.

Hey, I was right!
(IFYPFY)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 19:54:14 +0100, Richard
wrote:

snip

Do I envy your version of reality?

Ooooh, I can answer that, 'yes', (because it *is* reality)?

Yes.

Hey, I was right!
(IFYPFY)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

In that case I should be very flattered by all the (other) trolls. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/06/2021 15:40, Richard wrote:
On 05/06/2021 13:16, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 19:59:33 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

I know it all

FYPFY
YVW

How many times have I had to tell the stupid ****er his food is not vegan?

Thick as **** but he knows it all.

BTW My cat had vegan sparrow tonight.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

How come the nearer you get to the source of the fish, the more
expensive it becomes and no matter where you are in the UK?

At home, 60 miles from the coast, pensioners special F&C £3.60. Whitby,
next to the fish dock, £9-ish.

Because it tastes better if you eat it with a view of the sea,
apparently.

So Brian gets a discount?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2021 13:16, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 19:59:33 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

I know it all

FYPFY
YVW

How many times have I had to tell the stupid ****er his food is not vegan?

Thick as **** but he knows it all.

BTW My cat had vegan sparrow tonight.

Apparently:
Sparrows are carnivores (meat-eaters) by nature, but they have changed
their eating habits when they learned to live close to people. Sparrows
primarily eat moths and other small insects, but they can also eat seed,
berries and fruit.
/q
The House Sparrow will eat just about anything: sunflower hearts, high
energy seed, peanuts, suet, kitchen scraps, etc. In fact, as reported in
the BTO's Garden Birdwatch Handbook, research in the 1940 found 838
different types of food in the dissected stomachs of house sparrows.
/q

Sorry, but your cat is not eating a vegan based diet
Would you like T i m to drop in and re-educate it?

Did you know, cats can scarify wallpaper in enclosed spaces?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2021 13:16, T i m wrote:
[...]

Would you like T i mÂ* to drop in and re-educate it?

Did you know, cats can scarify wallpaper in enclosed spaces?

A large seagull cleared out all the fish from my neighbours pond
a few weeks ago.

We live 10 miles inland so he must have had really good eyesight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2021 10:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 04/06/2021, charles supposed :
£8 here from the mobile chippy who been coming every week during
lockdown.

Pensioners Special £3.60 (or £3.80 from another local chippie) - small
haddock, far too many chips and a pot of peas or curry, as a take-away.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ps-London.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 05/06/2021 10:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 04/06/2021, charles supposed :
£8 here from the mobile chippy who been coming every week during
lockdown.

Pensioners Special £3.60 (or £3.80 from another local chippie) - small
haddock, far too many chips and a pot of peas or curry, as a take-away.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ps-London.html

I saw that

and I though WTF is he complaining about

13.50 for F&C in a London restaurant is hardly extortionate

though if the picture was actually of what was served up (rather than some
random stock picture that the newspaper already had) I thought the portion
of chips and peas was miserly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

13.50 for F&C in a London restaurant is hardly extortionate

Not in a restaurant, but delivered, so likely deliveroo etc fees involved.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jun 2021 07:52:45 +0100, tim... wrote:

13.50 for F&C in a London restaurant is hardly extortionate

though if the picture was actually of what was served up (rather than
some random stock picture that the newspaper already had) I thought the
portion of chips and peas was miserly

Ah, but the chips would be hand crafted, and the peas organic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 09:41, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jun 2021 07:52:45 +0100, tim... wrote:

13.50 for F&C in a London restaurant is hardly extortionate

though if the picture was actually of what was served up (rather than
some random stock picture that the newspaper already had) I thought the
portion of chips and peas was miserly

Ah, but the chips would be hand crafted, and the peas organic.

in */Ilford/*?

--
Robin