Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Christchurch gable end collapse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-57253967

Fortunately, no-one was passing underneath at the time.

The movement of the small tree on the right and the dust indicates a
strong wind blowing right to left. It seems to me that there were no
restraining straps between the wall and the roof timbers.

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 26 May 2021 16:14:24 +0100, Alan J. Wylie wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-57253967

Fortunately, no-one was passing underneath at the time.

The movement of the small tree on the right and the dust indicates a
strong wind blowing right to left. It seems to me that there were no
restraining straps between the wall and the roof timbers.

They don't build them like the used to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan J. Wylie wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-57253967

Fortunately, no-one was passing underneath at the time.

The movement of the small tree on the right and the dust indicates a
strong wind blowing right to left. It seems to me that there were no
restraining straps between the wall and the roof timbers.

I was quite impressed by the strength of the car roof. Im sure in
years/decades gone by, it would have caved it in.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I do hope structural checks on the rest of the estate will be done,
since from 2014 to now is hardly end of life and indeed should not have even
resulted in any inspection needed. Maybe they used that well known building
firm,bodgit and run.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Alan J. Wylie" wrote in message

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-57253967

Fortunately, no-one was passing underneath at the time.

The movement of the small tree on the right and the dust indicates a
strong wind blowing right to left. It seems to me that there were no
restraining straps between the wall and the roof timbers.

--
Alan J. Wylie
https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 16:14, Alan J. Wylie wrote:
It seems to me that there were no
restraining straps between the wall and the roof timbers.

That's what I thought, but it looks to me after a few plays, that in
fact the first set of roof timers are still attached to the brickwork as
it falls ?

Gable collapse Tim+[_5_] UK diy 15 May 27th 21 01:12 PM
How to fix joists to a gable end Mr Spoons UK diy 1 December 13th 06 09:27 PM
Quiz, what 's caused the staining on this gable end? Derek Geldard UK diy 10 April 18th 06 11:22 PM
Venting soil pipe through roof or gable end ? Adrian Brentnall UK diy 2 September 30th 05 10:13 AM
Cladding for gable-end, uPVC or wood? Andy W UK diy 2 May 26th 04 09:55 PM