Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default I bought a new vernier caliper off Amazon.

Very surprised with the quality of this Preciva Vernier Caliper with a
large digital readout for £20. I can't read the Mitutoyo one any more, the
scale is too small.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jon wrote:
Very surprised with the quality of this Preciva Vernier Caliper with a
large digital readout for £20. I can't read the Mitutoyo one any more, the
scale is too small.

How are you going to do precision engineering if you can't read the
Mitutoyo scale?

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

How are you going to do precision engineering if you can't read the
Mitutoyo scale?

He'll just use the Mitutoyo as a parallel scriber like everyone on
youtube seems to :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , jon writes
Very surprised with the quality of this Preciva Vernier Caliper with a
large digital readout for £20. I can't read the Mitutoyo one any more, the
scale is too small.

Now go and buy a stock of CR3032s or remember to take the battery out
when you put it away:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 25 May 2021 at 21:34:43 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , jon writes
Very surprised with the quality of this Preciva Vernier Caliper with a
large digital readout for £20. I can't read the Mitutoyo one any more, the
scale is too small.

Now go and buy a stock of CR3032s or remember to take the battery out
when you put it away:-(

Probably easier to use CR2032s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 14:57, jon wrote:
Very surprised with the quality of this Preciva Vernier Caliper with a
large digital readout for £20. I can't read the Mitutoyo one any more, the
scale is too small.

The plastic ones are brilliant, too, cheaper, £7-8. I have one in every
tool bag, like a tape measure. Mainly I use them because my eyes aren't
up to reading a ruler without glasses.

I find I don't need/want the added precision of the fine adjustment
wheel on the posher versions. For precise stuff I use a micrometer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , jon writes
Very surprised with the quality of this Preciva Vernier Caliper with a
large digital readout for £20. I can't read the Mitutoyo one any more, the
scale is too small.

Now go and buy a stock of CR3032s or remember to take the battery out
when you put it away:-(

Quite. The Mitutoyo has an amazing battery life. Cheap ones usually not.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pancho wrote:
The plastic ones are brilliant, too, cheaper, £7-8. I have one in every
tool bag, like a tape measure. Mainly I use them because my eyes aren't
up to reading a ruler without glasses.

I've got a digital readout tape measure.

A vernier calliper is usually for where you need a more accurate
measurement than is easy with a tape measure.

--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 11:11:42 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , jon writes
Very surprised with the quality of this Preciva Vernier Caliper with a
large digital readout for £20. I can't read the Mitutoyo one any more, the
scale is too small.

Now go and buy a stock of CR3032s or remember to take the battery out
when you put it away:-(

Quite. The Mitutoyo has an amazing battery life. Cheap ones usually not.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *
Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 11:11:42 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:
In message , jon
writes
Very surprised with the quality of this Preciva Vernier Caliper
with a large digital readout for £20. I can't read the Mitutoyo
one any more, the scale is too small.

Now go and buy a stock of CR3032s or remember to take the battery
out when you put it away:-(

Quite. The Mitutoyo has an amazing battery life. Cheap ones usually
not.

-- *If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't
for you * Dave Plowman London SW To e-mail,
change noise into sound.

+1

Out of interest, Fred, is it your newsreader which has abbreviated my
email address just above this? Be better if it removed the whole sig.
That's why there is a separator.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 09:00, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
polygonum_on_google writes
On Tuesday, 25 May 2021 at 21:34:43 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , jon writes
Very surprised with the quality of this Preciva Vernier Caliper with a
large digital readout for £20. I can't read the Mitutoyo one any
more, the
scale is too small.
Now go and buy a stock of CR3032s or remember to take the battery out
when you put it away:-(

Probably easier to use CR2032s.

ops!:-)

I thought they used LR44 / AG13's. One a month if you're lucky. Or if
you take the battery out when not using it, the contact breaks off after
a while.

That's why I bought a Mitutoyo Absolute in the end (nice big readable
display) after two cheapies broke. But yes, they are amazingly accurate
for the money.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pancho wrote:
The plastic ones are brilliant, too, cheaper, £7-8. I have one in every
tool bag, like a tape measure. Mainly I use them because my eyes aren't
up to reading a ruler without glasses.

I've got a digital readout tape measure.

A vernier calliper is usually for where you need a more accurate
measurement than is easy with a tape measure.

Yeah I didn't mean the calliper was a replacement for a tape measure,
just a piece of equipment I always like to have in the bag. In practice
I use it more as I would a ruler. I often use a laser distance meter
instead of a tape measure.

All these wonderful tools. I wonder how my dad got anything done.

vernier-caliper alan_m UK diy 4 September 7th 19 02:35 PM
Thumbscrew for Helios vernier caliper sought Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 10 October 29th 12 01:19 AM
Digital vernier caliper @ Aldi on Sunday The Medway Handyman UK diy 35 February 19th 11 09:51 PM
Vernier caliper accuracy Christopher Tidy Metalworking 69 March 18th 10 01:42 AM
Vernier Caliper carlDOTwest Metalworking 20 July 20th 04 04:47 PM