Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what a load of pish

On 25/05/2021 15:38, Andrew wrote:
On 24/05/2021 19:23, Steve Walker wrote:
On 24/05/2021 17:49, JNugent wrote:
On 19/05/2021 01:55 pm, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[ ... ]

When the coroner in London ruled that the little girl who died a few
months ago was due to pollution, there was quite a local fuss. Of
course
transport got the blame since she lived close to a busy main road, but
several different types of sources will have contributed to that
pollution.

And unless lots of other people in the location where that
unfortunate girl lived are dropping like flies, falling victim to
(only) the self-same "pollution", then it was probably not the
pollution which killed her, though it might (or might not) have
exacerbated whatever it was.

For a time when I was a boy, we used to live directly on the A59 in
central Liverpool, less than a hundred and fifty yards from the
Mersey Tunnel entrance. There were almost no emission controls in
those days, and as well as traffic (lots of it), we were surrounded
by dwellings burning coal in grates and various industrial premises,
including a nearby brewery, all doing the same.

We all managed to survive.

I have thought it very odd that asthma rates have been rising, while
vehicle emission controls have been improving and and all forms of
vehicle pollution have actually been falling significantly, yet the
action seems to be to pillory the motorist, restrict when and where
they can drive and charge them punitive penalties for entering certain
areas.

You only need to walk along the side of a busy road to notice the pong
on NO2. This wasn't the case 20 years ago. Now There are 10+ million
diesel engined cars on the road and the vast majority are not EU6
compliant. There needs a massive cull of older diesel clunkers.

I did find some figures a while ago and they showed that NO2 levels were
down about 28% since 2010 and 43% since 2000.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2021 10:09 pm, #Paul wrote:

JNugent wrote:

We all managed to survive.

Of course, if anyone had actually died, they'd be
sure to post here and let us know they disagreed.

#Paul

The survivors might.

But we were all survivors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 10:41 am, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
JNugent wrote:
[...]

The human body can be damaged long term by some types of pollution, but
still 'survive'. And not all will be equally effected.

Lead was a prime example.

Now prohibited in motor spirit.

I am aware that some used to cite it as a reason for observed low IQ
among inner city children.

It's similar to Covid. 'I've not caught it, therefore all these
precautions are stupid, and disrupt my life'

Ee... it were all that "polio" when I were a lad (I do remember a class
mate who'd had it).

And Diphtheria. And Tuberculosis.

Of course, there was always Scarlet Fever, Chickenpox and Measles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 03:38 pm, Andrew wrote:
[...]

It's really odd, because until only a handful of years ago, the
government was doing all it could to encourage buyers to buy diesel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 16:18, JNugent wrote:
[...]

You mean bribing them with zero or V low car tax, which was the *only*
reason people bought diesel cars. Anyone with a brain would have known
that any reduction on CO2 would be massively outweighed by an huge
increase in NO2 and diesel smoke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 04:22 pm, Andrew wrote:
[...]

I don't agree. I bought my first diesel motor car in 1986. There was
then no Road Tax advantage, but compared with the petrol-engined
version, there was a noticeable improvement in mpg and at that time,
diesel was cheaper than four star.

I haven't heard of any diesel cars with £0 Road Tax, but the RT on mine
is £20 a year.

Anyone with a brain would have known
that any reduction on CO2 would be massively outweighed by an huge
increase in NO2 and diesel smoke.

That's the sort of thing which should be known to the government, surely?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 16:16, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2021 10:41 am, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

..

It's similar to Covid. 'I've not caught it, therefore all these
precautions are stupid, and disrupt my life'

Ee... it were all that "polio" when I were a lad (I do remember a class
mate who'd had it).

Oh yes. Laura. Walked on crutches with leg braces and had the most
painful pinch of any 8 year old

Had all those. And worse. Whooping cough. ****ed my lungs permanently.

--
People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 16:18, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2021 03:38 pm, Andrew wrote:

You only need to walk along the side of a busy road to notice the pong
on NO2. This wasn't the case 20 years ago.

Of course not. its only really an issue in uber lean burn eco engines.

Now There are 10+ million
diesel engined cars on the road and the vast majority are not EU6
compliant. There needs a massive cull of older diesel clunkers.

No,m the older clinker are fine. Its the eco clunkers that cause the crap

It's really odd, because until only a handful of years ago, the
government was doing all it could to encourage buyers to buy diesel.

Of course. the manufacturers wanted to sell new cars so diesel was
lobbied for. Then when everyone had one, they legislated to not have them!

Simples!

Nothing to do with pollution. Everything to do with profit.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 16:25, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2021 04:22 pm, Andrew wrote:

..

Anyone with a brain would have known
that any reduction on CO2 would be massively outweighed by an huge
increase in NO2 and diesel smoke.

Only ArtStudents
Of course engineers would have known completely different.

By using turbocharging and lean burn technology plus catalysts you get
rid of the particulates smoke and smell.

What you are left with - especially at low throttle cruise - is nitrogen
oxides, which AdBlue is supposed to absorb.

That's the sort of thing which should be known to the government, surely?

Nothing is known to a government, and by the looks of things you and
'Andrew', either.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JNugent wrote:
You only need to walk along the side of a busy road to notice the pong
on NO2. This wasn't the case 20 years ago. Now There are 10+ million
diesel engined cars on the road and the vast majority are not EU6
compliant. There needs a massive cull of older diesel clunkers.

It's really odd, because until only a handful of years ago, the
government was doing all it could to encourage buyers to buy diesel.

Yes. From those in government who don't want to know about different types
of pollution. A diesel generally produces less CO2 than the equivalent
petrol, but more NOx and of course particulates.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 25/05/2021 16:18, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2021 03:38 pm, Andrew wrote:

You only need to walk along the side of a busy road to notice the pong
on NO2. This wasn't the case 20 years ago.

Of course not. its only really an issue in uber lean burn eco engines.

Now There are 10+ million
diesel engined cars on the road and the vast majority are not EU6
compliant. There needs a massive cull of older diesel clunkers.

No,m the older clinker are fine. Its the eco clunkers that cause the crap

my 5yo Mazda is exempt from the London pollution charge.
I went to diesel (early 1990s) since doing around 20,000 miles per year, it
was cheaper to run than a petrol beast.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 25/05/2021 16:18, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2021 03:38 pm, Andrew wrote:

You only need to walk along the side of a busy road to notice the pong
on NO2. This wasn't the case 20 years ago.

Of course not. its only really an issue in uber lean burn eco engines.

Now There are 10+ million
diesel engined cars on the road and the vast majority are not EU6
compliant. There needs a massive cull of older diesel clunkers.

No,m the older clinker are fine. Its the eco clunkers that cause the crap

my 5yo Mazda is exempt from the London pollution charge.
I went to diesel (early 1990s) since doing around 20,000 miles per year, it
was cheaper to run than a petrol beast.

The big snag as regards damaging to the body pollutants from diesels is
millions of cars with Bosch engine management were it is fiddled to pass
the Euro 6 tests in a lab, but fails miserably in use. It's gone pretty
quiet about that in the meja recently.

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 04:59 pm, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

JNugent wrote:
You only need to walk along the side of a busy road to notice the pong
on NO2. This wasn't the case 20 years ago. Now There are 10+ million
diesel engined cars on the road and the vast majority are not EU6
compliant. There needs a massive cull of older diesel clunkers.

It's really odd, because until only a handful of years ago, the
government was doing all it could to encourage buyers to buy diesel.

Yes. From those in government who don't want to know about different types
of pollution. A diesel generally produces less CO2 than the equivalent
petrol, but more NOx and of course particulates.

"Gordon Brown" was the chap's name.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

Nope, some chose them for the better fuel economy
and what they regarded as better drivability.

Anyone with a brain would have known that any reduction on CO2 would be
massively outweighed by an huge increase in NO2 and diesel smoke.

Few car buyers knew anything about NO2.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Nym-Shifting Senile Australian Pest!

On Wed, 26 May 2021 05:48:40 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

"Thats because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , JNugent
writes
[...]

Known to their scientific advisers one would have thought, but no.
--
bert