Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stainable caulk?

I've restored and re-fitted some old oak skirting and need to fill some
small gaps along the top. I could use regular caulk and paint the wall
colour over it but would prefer to use a caulk or filler and stain it to
match the Regency oak colour of the skirting. The oak is stable so, in
the absence of a stainable caulk, I'm tempted to use one of the dark
brown Ronseal wood fillers (supposedly stainable) but would prefer
something flexible. Any suggestions?

(Osmo have a caulk that is laughingly called oak colour - they must have
some strange oak trees wherever Osmo is made!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Success! - Stainable caulk?

On 17/05/2021 23:43, wrote:
On 17/05/2021 22:54, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 17/05/2021 19:08,
wrote:
I've restored and re-fitted some old oak skirting and need to fill
some small gaps along the top. I could use regular caulk and paint
the wall colour over it but would prefer to use a caulk or filler and
stain it to match the Regency oak colour of the skirting. The oak is
stable so, in the absence of a stainable caulk, I'm tempted to use
one of the dark brown Ronseal wood fillers (supposedly stainable) but
would prefer something flexible. Any suggestions?

(Osmo have a caulk that is laughingly called oak colour - they must
have some strange oak trees wherever Osmo is made!)

Buy a cheap acrylic 'painting set' from eBay or wherever and mix
colours with your 'regular caulk' to make whatever colour you want.
Experimentation required, but it will work, I've done it.

eBay item # 274421856096 is the first hit, there are many more.

It would be tricky to get a consistent mix for 20m of skirting, but I
hadn't thought of mixing acrylic paint with the caulk and it's a good
idea. There are several acrylic paint sets in the house, and an amateur
artist with an eye for colour (which I haven't), so I might even be able
to delegate ;-) Thanks!

Well, that was a success. Stain the oak skirting to get consistent shade
between inlay (and plugs) and original wood, 2 coats of Osmo, mix a
little acrylic paint with "regular" acrylic caulk and press into the
small gaps with a filling knife, tool filling with fugenboy and walk
away. The amateur artist then descended with paint palette and selection
of tubes of paint - the end result is excellent. I just hope the
concrete screws and foaming adhesive succeed in persuading the skirting
that it has finished its moving about after 80 years.