Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Question about water-based paint

The instructions say that water-based paint should not be allowed to
freeze. Does this mean it *will* be damaged by low temperatures or
that it *may* be damaged by low temperatures? In other words, if the
paint looks and feels okay, can it still be used or should it not be
used if it has been subjected to sub-zero temperatures?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2021 20:09, Scott wrote:
The instructions say that water-based paint should not be allowed to
freeze. Does this mean it *will* be damaged by low temperatures or
that it *may* be damaged by low temperatures? In other words, if the
paint looks and feels okay, can it still be used or should it not be
used if it has been subjected to sub-zero temperatures?

Did it acually freeze is the first qustion. That known, either ask the
manufacturer, or paint a test panel and see how it turns out, or both.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 May 2021 20:41:33 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

On 13/05/2021 20:09, Scott wrote:
The instructions say that water-based paint should not be allowed to
freeze. Does this mean it *will* be damaged by low temperatures or
that it *may* be damaged by low temperatures? In other words, if the
paint looks and feels okay, can it still be used or should it not be
used if it has been subjected to sub-zero temperatures?

Did it acually freeze is the first qustion.

I don't know as it was outside and I was inside at the time so I have
no way of telling.

That known, either ask the
manufacturer, or paint a test panel and see how it turns out, or both.

If I paint a test panel and it looks and feels okay, does this prove
that it is okay in the longer term with no risk of premature failure
due to damage to the paint?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2021 20:09, Scott wrote:
The instructions say that water-based paint should not be allowed to
freeze. Does this mean it *will* be damaged by low temperatures or
that it *may* be damaged by low temperatures? In other words, if the
paint looks and feels okay, can it still be used or should it not be
used if it has been subjected to sub-zero temperatures?

It will be pot luck. Freezing tends to separate out some components and
could destroy the dispersed emulsion. It might still work OK but its
lifetime may not be as good as it would have been if properly stored.

I guess ultimately it is your choice. I have known badly stored paints
that would never properly cure and stay tacky forever. Quite a messy
thing to have to sort out. Paint a test piece and see how it behaves.

To some extent makers are warning against it because the cost of
applying a paint commercially vastly exceeds the cost of materials.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 13/05/2021 20:09, Scott wrote:
The instructions say that water-based paint should not be allowed to
freeze. Does this mean it *will* be damaged by low temperatures or
that it *may* be damaged by low temperatures? In other words, if the
paint looks and feels okay, can it still be used or should it not be
used if it has been subjected to sub-zero temperatures?

Did it acually freeze is the first qustion.

I don't know as it was outside and I was inside at the time so I have
no way of telling.

That known, either ask the
manufacturer, or paint a test panel and see how it turns out, or both.

If I paint a test panel and it looks and feels okay, does this prove
that it is okay in the longer term with no risk of premature failure
due to damage to the paint?

There is always a risk of premature failure for badly stored paint.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 13/05/2021 20:09, Scott wrote:
The instructions say that water-based paint should not be allowed to
freeze. Does this mean it *will* be damaged by low temperatures or
that it *may* be damaged by low temperatures? In other words, if the
paint looks and feels okay, can it still be used or should it not be
used if it has been subjected to sub-zero temperatures?

Did it acually freeze is the first qustion.

I don't know as it was outside and I was inside at the time so I have
no way of telling.

That known, either ask the
manufacturer, or paint a test panel and see how it turns out, or both.

If I paint a test panel and it looks and feels okay, does this prove
that it is okay in the longer term with no risk of premature failure
due to damage to the paint?

Well once you have painted it and the water has evaporated I imagine you
would then expect it to survive freezing temperatures. Therefor I would
assume it is the water content that is at risk - probably due to
expanding and rupturing a full tin which makes itself known when the
temperature warms again. I derive this from simple logic and have no
direct experiance of the matter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well water expands when it freezes, and I'd imagine that might promote
separation, but I don't know enough about the chemistry to know if a good
stir will make it OK again.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Scott" wrote in message
The instructions say that water-based paint should not be allowed to
freeze. Does this mean it *will* be damaged by low temperatures or
that it *may* be damaged by low temperatures? In other words, if the
paint looks and feels okay, can it still be used or should it not be
used if it has been subjected to sub-zero temperatures?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 09:49, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Well water expands when it freezes, and I'd imagine that might promote
separation, but I don't know enough about the chemistry to know if a good
stir will make it OK again.
Brian

Usually not if it has been hard frozen.

It physically separates the pigments into a solid curdled layer at the
bottom of the tin and a clear aqueous layer on the top.

It can also denature some of the resins in the paint so that they will
never quite cure properly or with the same surface finish lustre as the
original paint. A problem when using it to touch up. You often find that
paint on the walls has faded slightly compared to that in the tin.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2021 21:45, Scott wrote:
If I paint a test panel and it looks and feels okay, does this prove
that it is okay in the longer term with no risk of premature failure
due to damage to the paint?

You seem to have answered your own question, so you should chuck it out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 May 2021 18:42:45 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

On 13/05/2021 21:45, Scott wrote:
If I paint a test panel and it looks and feels okay, does this prove
that it is okay in the longer term with no risk of premature failure
due to damage to the paint?

You seem to have answered your own question, so you should chuck it out.

Why did you suggest painting a test panel if this proves nothing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 13/05/2021 21:45, Scott wrote:
If I paint a test panel and it looks and feels okay, does this prove
that it is okay in the longer term with no risk of premature failure
due to damage to the paint?

You seem to have answered your own question, so you should chuck it out.

Why did you suggest painting a test panel if this proves nothing?

I didn't say that. You did. So just chuck it out & forget about it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 13/05/2021 21:45, Scott wrote:
If I paint a test panel and it looks and feels okay, does this prove
that it is okay in the longer term with no risk of premature failure
due to damage to the paint?

You seem to have answered your own question, so you should chuck it out.

Why did you suggest painting a test panel if this proves nothing?

I didn't say that. You did. So just chuck it out & forget about it.

"That known, either ask the manufacturer, or paint a test panel and
see how it turns out, or both." Why did you suggest painting a test
panel if this proves nothing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 13/05/2021 21:45, Scott wrote:
If I paint a test panel and it looks and feels okay, does this prove
that it is okay in the longer term with no risk of premature failure
due to damage to the paint?

You seem to have answered your own question, so you should chuck it out.

Why did you suggest painting a test panel if this proves nothing?

I didn't say that. You did. So just chuck it out & forget about it.

"That known, either ask the manufacturer, or paint a test panel and
see how it turns out, or both." Why did you suggest painting a test
panel if this proves nothing?

The test panel will show you if there is seriously wrong with the paint.
What it cannot show you is how the abused paint will behave longer term.

Paint makers do extensive tests and the storage advice is clear enough.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 13/05/2021 21:45, Scott wrote:
If I paint a test panel and it looks and feels okay, does this prove
that it is okay in the longer term with no risk of premature failure
due to damage to the paint?

You seem to have answered your own question, so you should chuck it out.

Why did you suggest painting a test panel if this proves nothing?

I didn't say that. You did. So just chuck it out & forget about it.

"That known, either ask the manufacturer, or paint a test panel and
see how it turns out, or both." Why did you suggest painting a test
panel if this proves nothing?

The test panel will show you if there is seriously wrong with the paint.
What it cannot show you is how the abused paint will behave longer term.

Paint makers do extensive tests and the storage advice is clear enough.

I understand that but I cannot determine whether it has or has not
frozen, which means I don't know if it falls foul of the advice.
Rather than throwing it away, I wondered if there was a practical way
to find out. From what people are saying, there seems to be enough
doubt that I should not be using it.