Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fan 'always on' AMI BIOS Pavillion

New laptop, busy setting it up and I'm finding the fan noise very
annoying and constant on mains. On battery it is intermitant.

In the BIOS I found a setting 'Fan always on' with the option of
on/off. Setting it from its default on to off, it does seem a bit
slower/quieter. Am I OK to do this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 May 2021 16:31:56 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq., wrote:

New laptop, busy setting it up and I'm finding the fan noise very
annoying and constant on mains. On battery it is intermitant.

In the BIOS I found a setting 'Fan always on' with the option of on/off.
Setting it from its default on to off, it does seem a bit
slower/quieter. Am I OK to do this?

Yes, it won't cause a problem.

If the CPU heats up then the fan will come on to cool it. It's possible -
likely, if you're a heavy CPU user - that the fan won't be on all the time
but runs much faster when it does come on.

There'll be a cutoff point where the PC will power off if the CPU gets too
hot.

I use a monitoring tool HWINFO to see CPU core temps, fan speeds etc. It's
at www.hwinfo.com but if you're wary (as I am) of clicking random URLs
then Google for Dell HWINFO, the link 'Steps for analyzing overheating or
loud fan...' points to a Dell site which references (and links to) HWINFO.
So a more believable source than a random Usenet reply :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2021 17:36, Scion wrote:
[...]

I use Core Temp which is freeware. It's compact, gives the CPU
temperature and clock frequency.

It is worth looking at Windows power settings where you can choose a
setting for CPU speed according to demand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx a écrit :
It is worth looking at Windows power settings where you can choose a setting
for CPU speed according to demand.

Got it :-)

This - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpjcPnIYFA

Dropping the max on mains power to 80% brought peace and quiet. At
that, the fan throttles back to barely a whisper, with 30C core.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If its still put on if needed then probably, but the machine in the always
off position may throttle back the processor to keep it cooler instead of
course.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; Esq.; wrote in message
New laptop, busy setting it up and I'm finding the fan noise very annoying
and constant on mains. On battery it is intermitant.

In the BIOS I found a setting 'Fan always on' with the option of on/off.
Setting it from its default on to off, it does seem a bit slower/quieter.
Am I OK to do this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2021 17:36, Scion wrote:

I use a monitoring tool HWINFO to see CPU core temps, fan speeds etc. It's
at www.hwinfo.com but if you're wary (as I am) of clicking random URLs
then Google for Dell HWINFO, the link 'Steps for analyzing overheating or
loud fan...' points to a Dell site which references (and links to) HWINFO.
So a more believable source than a random Usenet reply :-)

My 2p's worth: I like https://openhardwaremonitor.org/
for monitoring temperatures, will put output in the task bar and has a
widget for the desktop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2021 20:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Fredxx a écrit :
It is worth looking at Windows power settings where you can choose a
setting for CPU speed according to demand.

Got it :-)

This - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpjcPnIYFA

Dropping the max on mains power to 80% brought peace and quiet. At that,
the fan throttles back to barely a whisper, with 30C core.

The default for Windows 10 is CPU min 5%. I'm surprised you've had to
change it.

Did you notice he uses Core Temp too?

Lighting a pavillion for picnic Stormin Mormon Home Repair 53 October 13th 10 01:18 PM
LCD Backlight repair on a HP Pavillion N5350 laptop [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 May 16th 06 03:47 AM
ami bios Joseph Spinola Electronics 4 January 1st 06 04:42 AM
Opening an HP pavillion ? Fred Bartoli Electronics Repair 5 May 16th 05 02:38 PM
HP Pavillion MX75 monitor Bill Electronics Repair 4 November 29th 03 07:31 AM