Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small inspection hatch for pipe joint in concrete floor?

My 10mm oil pipe runs through the garage floor slab (in a screed-filled
channel) and I need to re-route one end, but this will need a
compression elbow. I don't want to bury the elbow in screed so need to
find a small inspection hatch, or to make a frame and cover insert. Can
anyone recommend a suitable hatch?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe the kind of hatch you see in the street to allow access to water stop taps? Builders merchant?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

Maybe the kind of hatch you see in the street to allow access to water stop taps? Builders merchant?

Sometimes called a "toby"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2021 20:24, Murmansk wrote:

Maybe the kind of hatch you see in the street to allow access to water stop taps? Builders merchant?

An excellent suggestion but they all seem to be marked either "water" or
"gas"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
My 10mm oil pipe runs through the garage floor slab (in a screed-filled
channel) and I need to re-route one end, but this will need a
compression elbow. I don't want to bury the elbow in screed so need to
find a small inspection hatch, or to make a frame and cover insert. Can
anyone recommend a suitable hatch?

An aluminium rodding eye would give you a frame and cover but youd need to
saw off the angled pipe beneath. Just a thought.

https://www.plastics-express.co.uk/1...=Rodding%20eye

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2021 13:26, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
My 10mm oil pipe runs through the garage floor slab (in a screed-filled
channel) and I need to re-route one end, but this will need a
compression elbow. I don't want to bury the elbow in screed so need to
find a small inspection hatch, or to make a frame and cover insert. Can
anyone recommend a suitable hatch?

An aluminium rodding eye would give you a frame and cover but youd need to
saw off the angled pipe beneath. Just a thought.

https://www.plastics-express.co.uk/1...=Rodding%20eye

Tim

Thanks Tim, I think that will fit the bill nicely so you've just won the
prize :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May 2021 at 21:24:21 BST, "
wrote:

My 10mm oil pipe runs through the garage floor slab (in a screed-filled
channel) and I need to re-route one end, but this will need a
compression elbow. I don't want to bury the elbow in screed so need to
find a small inspection hatch, or to make a frame and cover insert. Can
anyone recommend a suitable hatch?

Is it practical to dig up the whole length of the pipe and replace it with a
longer one with a bend in it?

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 00:02, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 11 May 2021 at 21:24:21 BST, "
wrote:

My 10mm oil pipe runs through the garage floor slab (in a screed-filled
channel) and I need to re-route one end, but this will need a
compression elbow. I don't want to bury the elbow in screed so need to
find a small inspection hatch, or to make a frame and cover insert. Can
anyone recommend a suitable hatch?

Is it practical to dig up the whole length of the pipe and replace it with a
longer one with a bend in it?

It runs from a tank about 4m away from the house, under a hedge and dry
stone wall, under two paving slabs, through cavity wall footings and
across the 5m wide garage/workshop (in a screed-filled trench) ...
perhaps I should call for volunteers ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2021 14:16, wrote:
On 13/05/2021 13:26, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
My 10mm oil pipe runs through the garage floor slab (in a screed-filled
channel) and I need to re-route one end, but this will need a
compression elbow. I don't want to bury the elbow in screed so need to
find a small inspection hatch, or to make a frame and cover insert. Can
anyone recommend a suitable hatch?

An aluminium rodding eye would give you a frame and cover but youd
need to
saw off the angled pipe beneath.Â* Just a thought.

https://www.plastics-express.co.uk/1...=Rodding%20eye

Tim

Thanks Tim, I think that will fit the bill nicely so you've just won the
prize :-)

On further thought, I decided this was the final justification for a 3D
printer, so ordered a Prusa which is now partly assembled and waiting
for me to allocate more time to it. Building the extruder was an
"interesting" task and I'm in awe of the designer's skills.
Unfortunately, the 3D printer route means I have to climb the Fusion 360
hill, and that looks very steep!