Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Allen bolt removal

5 of 8 allen bolts fixing 2 metal sheets on my car have stripped the hex key.
They are/were 4mm, and I think stainless steel. I've tried drilling one out to
5 and 5.5, but the spirally tool in this pic:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGFssfGG2m5Jn

can't generate enough purchase. It grips a little, but slips. I don't know
what that other bit is in the photo - memory suggests it's a screw extraction
tool I got from Aldi. There isn't enough head on the bolt to use mole grips.

I'm not sure if I'm using the extractor incorrectly, or it's just not very
effective. Thinking now about cutting a slot in the head and trying a flat
blade screwdriver. I don't think they're outrageously tight. I can access the
other side - but I don't want to damage the thread in the sheet the bolt
screws into.

Suggestions appreciated.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 May 2021 14:02:32 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

5 of 8 allen bolts fixing 2 metal sheets on my car have stripped the hex key.

Is this amour plating or something? ;-)

They are/were 4mm, and I think stainless steel. I've tried drilling one out to
5 and 5.5, but the spirally tool in this pic:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGFssfGG2m5Jn

can't generate enough purchase. It grips a little, but slips.

It looks very 'stubby' compared with what I have which are longer and
with a finer taper?

I don't know
what that other bit is in the photo - memory suggests it's a screw extraction
tool I got from Aldi. There isn't enough head on the bolt to use mole grips.

You can get fairly fine 'Mole' style grips with a curved jaw that
might?

I'm not sure if I'm using the extractor incorrectly, or it's just not very
effective.

It doesn't look like it would be (but I've not seen one like that
before).

Thinking now about cutting a slot in the head and trying a flat
blade screwdriver.

Yup, a Dremel with a cutting disk or if it doesn't matter if you nick
the top plate they are fixing, tapping the rim round on that 'Button
head' (?) screw (as you are getting new anyway) with a fine cold
chisel and toffee hammer might do it?

I don't think they're outrageously tight. I can access the
other side - but I don't want to damage the thread in the sheet the bolt
screws into.

If you grip them with some small Mole grips and some lolly stick to
make 'soft jaws' and don't go mad, that might be worth a try?

Suggestions appreciated.

I'm assuming you have already dosed them with some Plus Gas or equiv?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm using the extractor incorrectly, or it's just not very
effective. Thinking now about cutting a slot in the head and trying a flat
blade screwdriver. I don't think they're outrageously tight. I can access the
other side - but I don't want to damage the thread in the sheet the bolt
screws into.

Suggestions appreciated.

big rubber band wedged in what's left of the head to let an allen key,
or the extractor get a bit more bite?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 15:02, RJH wrote:
5 of 8 allen bolts fixing 2 metal sheets on my car have stripped the hex key.
They are/were 4mm, and I think stainless steel. I've tried drilling one out to
5 and 5.5, but the spirally tool in this pic:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGFssfGG2m5Jn

can't generate enough purchase. It grips a little, but slips. I don't know
what that other bit is in the photo - memory suggests it's a screw extraction
tool I got from Aldi. There isn't enough head on the bolt to use mole grips.

I'm not sure if I'm using the extractor incorrectly, or it's just not very
effective. Thinking now about cutting a slot in the head and trying a flat
blade screwdriver. I don't think they're outrageously tight. I can access the
other side - but I don't want to damage the thread in the sheet the bolt
screws into.

Suggestions appreciated.

A tap extractor might be better, if you can't do it any other way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 15:02, RJH wrote:
5 of 8 allen bolts fixing 2 metal sheets on my car have stripped the hex key.
They are/were 4mm, and I think stainless steel. I've tried drilling one out to
5 and 5.5, but the spirally tool in this pic:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGFssfGG2m5Jn

can't generate enough purchase. It grips a little, but slips. I don't know
what that other bit is in the photo - memory suggests it's a screw extraction
tool I got from Aldi. There isn't enough head on the bolt to use mole grips.

I'm not sure if I'm using the extractor incorrectly, or it's just not very
effective. Thinking now about cutting a slot in the head and trying a flat
blade screwdriver. I don't think they're outrageously tight. I can access the
other side - but I don't want to damage the thread in the sheet the bolt
screws into.

Suggestions appreciated.

If there's room, put a nut on the back, and use mole grips on the
thread. Once loose, grind the thread down to the nut and remove the nut.

--
Cheers
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/05/2021 15:38, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 10/05/2021 15:02, RJH wrote:
[...]

thread.Â* Once loose, grind the thread down to the nut and remove the nut.

If there's lots of room, put two nuts on the back and lock them
together. Then turn that lot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 15:02, RJH wrote:
[...]

Good idea.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 15:02, RJH wrote:
5 of 8 allen bolts fixing 2 metal sheets on my car have stripped the hex key.
They are/were 4mm, and I think stainless steel. I've tried drilling one out to
5 and 5.5, but the spirally tool in this pic:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGFssfGG2m5Jn

can't generate enough purchase. It grips a little, but slips. I don't know
what that other bit is in the photo - memory suggests it's a screw extraction
tool I got from Aldi. There isn't enough head on the bolt to use mole grips.

I'm not sure if I'm using the extractor incorrectly, or it's just not very
effective. Thinking now about cutting a slot in the head and trying a flat
blade screwdriver. I don't think they're outrageously tight. I can access the
other side - but I don't want to damage the thread in the sheet the bolt
screws into.

Suggestions appreciated.

My suggestion would be drill a slightly deeper hole about in the middle
of the allen socket and then use a conventional extractor tool sized for
the hole. It is a close thing because you can't afford to make the hole
too big or you will just snap the head off the bolt and then be forced
to drill the entire thing out and retap it to oversize.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 15:02, RJH wrote:
5 of 8 allen bolts fixing 2 metal sheets on my car have stripped the hex key.
They are/were 4mm, and I think stainless steel. I've tried drilling one out to
5 and 5.5, but the spirally tool in this pic:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGFssfGG2m5Jn

can't generate enough purchase. It grips a little, but slips. I don't know
what that other bit is in the photo - memory suggests it's a screw extraction
tool I got from Aldi. There isn't enough head on the bolt to use mole grips.

I'm not sure if I'm using the extractor incorrectly, or it's just not very
effective. Thinking now about cutting a slot in the head and trying a flat
blade screwdriver. I don't think they're outrageously tight. I can access the
other side - but I don't want to damage the thread in the sheet the bolt
screws into.

Suggestions appreciated.

Drop a hex nut over the end of the screw, and fill the nut with weld
while joining it to the screw, then remove with a spanner.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 May 2021 at 15:02:32 BST, "RJH" wrote:

5 of 8 allen bolts fixing 2 metal sheets on my car have stripped the hex key.
They are/were 4mm, and I think stainless steel. I've tried drilling one out
5 and 5.5, but the spirally tool in this pic:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGFssfGG2m5Jn

can't generate enough purchase. It grips a little, but slips. I don't know
what that other bit is in the photo - memory suggests it's a screw extraction
tool I got from Aldi. There isn't enough head on the bolt to use mole grips.

I'm not sure if I'm using the extractor incorrectly, or it's just not very
effective. Thinking now about cutting a slot in the head and trying a flat
blade screwdriver. I don't think they're outrageously tight. I can access the
other side - but I don't want to damage the thread in the sheet the bolt
screws into.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks everyone - plenty to go on.

There really isn't enough to grip with mole grips etc.; penetrating oil - good
plan (although the ones that did come out were more stiff than tight); weld a
nut - good plan but no gear; rubber band - intriguing/odd, I'll try it
tomorrow; tap extractor - close to last resort; nut on the other end - bolt
flush the other side.

I'm going to try the slot/screwdriver/hammer/chisel tomorrow. The heads are
very soft - the multitool cuts a slot in a few seconds.

(it's removing a wheelchair ramp - but I want the removal reversible)
--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

rubber band - intriguing/odd, I'll try it

Might not work for allen, but does for phillips, worth a go

https://youtu.be/PYOBl2rGB-E
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 15:02, RJH wrote:
5 of 8 allen bolts fixing 2 metal sheets on my car have stripped the hex key.

Hex or Torx? Even with a rounded hex there still may be enough grip
using a torx bit.

Cold it have been a hex security bolt requiring a hex bit with a hole in
the centre of the bit to get it deep enough to grip?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233906045...AOSwGLZgM7~ H

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 18:30, RJH wrote:

There really isn't enough to grip with mole grips etc.; penetrating oil - good
plan (although the ones that did come out were more stiff than tight);

Irish screwdriver? Try inserting the hex bit and tapping with a hammer
which may shock any tight bond loose before attempting to undo.

Amn impact driver may also work - it hammers the bit in at the same time
as turning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 15:02, RJH wrote:
5 of 8 allen bolts fixing 2 metal sheets on my car have stripped the hex key.
They are/were 4mm, and I think stainless steel. I've tried drilling one out to
5 and 5.5, but the spirally tool in this pic:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGFssfGG2m5Jn

can't generate enough purchase. It grips a little, but slips. I don't know
what that other bit is in the photo - memory suggests it's a screw extraction
tool I got from Aldi. There isn't enough head on the bolt to use mole grips.

I'm not sure if I'm using the extractor incorrectly, or it's just not very
effective. Thinking now about cutting a slot in the head and trying a flat
blade screwdriver. I don't think they're outrageously tight. I can access the
other side - but I don't want to damage the thread in the sheet the bolt
screws into.

Suggestions appreciated.

Most of these bolts in the past 10-20 years are Torx and not true Allen
bolts.

Last bugger I got out I use a MIG welder to attach a bolt to the hex bolt.

Only other suggestion is use a impact driver with a tapered hex key.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 19:16, alan_m wrote:
On 10/05/2021 18:30, RJH wrote:

There really isn't enough to grip with mole grips etc.; penetrating
oil - good
plan (although the ones that did come out were more stiff than tight);

Irish screwdriver?Â* Try inserting the hex bit and tapping with a hammer
which may shock any tight bond loose before attempting to undo.

Amn impact driver may also work - it hammers the bit in at the same time
as turning.

Remarkably effective technique, but 4mm is a bit small IMHO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
RJH wrote:

rubber band - intriguing/odd, I'll try it

Might not work for allen, but does for phillips, worth a go

https://youtu.be/PYOBl2rGB-E

****house video but brilliant idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 May 2021 07:29:08 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 15:02, RJH wrote:
5 of 8 allen bolts fixing 2 metal sheets on my car have stripped the hex key.
They are/were 4mm, and I think stainless steel. I've tried drilling one out to
5 and 5.5, but the spirally tool in this pic:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGFssfGG2m5Jn

can't generate enough purchase. It grips a little, but slips. I don't know
what that other bit is in the photo - memory suggests it's a screw extraction
tool I got from Aldi. There isn't enough head on the bolt to use mole grips.

I'm not sure if I'm using the extractor incorrectly, or it's just not very
effective. Thinking now about cutting a slot in the head and trying a flat
blade screwdriver. I don't think they're outrageously tight. I can access the
other side - but I don't want to damage the thread in the sheet the bolt
screws into.

Suggestions appreciated.

Could you file some flats on the thin flange of the head, and then use
an open-ended spanner on it?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 18:30, RJH wrote:

There really isn't enough to grip with mole grips etc.; penetrating
oil - good
plan (although the ones that did come out were more stiff than tight);

Irish screwdriver?Â* Try inserting the hex bit and tapping with a
hammer which may shock any tight bond loose before attempting to undo.

Amn impact driver may also work - it hammers the bit in at the same
time as turning.

Remarkably effective technique, but 4mm is a bit small IMHO.

Not so small for tor this type of impact driver
https://makitauk.com/products/impact-drivers-1

rather than

https://youtu.be/RWYXnMM__6M?t=16
which can be a lot more brutal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
5 of 8 allen bolts fixing 2 metal sheets on my car have stripped the hex
key. They are/were 4mm, and I think stainless steel. I've tried drilling
one out to 5 and 5.5, but the spirally tool in this pic:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGFssfGG2m5Jn

can't generate enough purchase. It grips a little, but slips. I don't
know what that other bit is in the photo - memory suggests it's a screw
extraction tool I got from Aldi. There isn't enough head on the bolt to
use mole grips.

I'm not sure if I'm using the extractor incorrectly, or it's just not
very effective. Thinking now about cutting a slot in the head and trying
a flat blade screwdriver. I don't think they're outrageously tight. I
can access the other side - but I don't want to damage the thread in the
sheet the bolt screws into.

Suggestions appreciated.

A suitable sized Torx bit hammered in often works.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 18:30, RJH wrote:

There really isn't enough to grip with mole grips etc.; penetrating
oil - good
plan (although the ones that did come out were more stiff than tight);

Irish screwdriver?Â* Try inserting the hex bit and tapping with a
hammer which may shock any tight bond loose before attempting to undo.

Yes, I'll give that a go. The panel is a not that firm so getting a decent
'thump' may be tricky.

Amn impact driver may also work - it hammers the bit in at the same
time as turning.

Remarkably effective technique, but 4mm is a bit small IMHO.

Not so small for tor this type of impact driver
https://makitauk.com/products/impact-drivers-1

rather than

https://youtu.be/RWYXnMM__6M?t=16
which can be a lot more brutal.

I've got a 14V ID - the few that came out came out using that.
--
Cheers, Rob