Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How come? Firefox upgrade slows browsing.

Each time Firefox downloads one of its automatic updates, until the
update is installed, browsing in Firefox comes almost to a painful
standstill.

I notice a similar issue with Win10 updates, once they are downloaded
and ready to install.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Each time Firefox downloads one of its automatic updates, until the
update is installed, browsing in Firefox comes almost to a painful
standstill.

firefox upgrades are generally only about 10 seconds to download and 10
seconds to upgrade and restart the browser here

I notice similar issue with Win10 updates, once they are downloaded
and ready to install.

Those can take longer, but during the download phase it doesn't hammer
anything ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd imagine it slows most stuff down. Do you have an ssd in the machine,
That does help but it seems to me its a bottleneck in the multi tasking or
the way processor cores are utilised on Intel machines as not seen it so
bad on AMD of similar spec. Its surely not a great problem to wait for the
download though is it?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
Each time Firefox downloads one of its automatic updates, until the update
is installed, browsing in Firefox comes almost to a painful standstill.

I notice a similar issue with Win10 updates, once they are downloaded and
ready to install.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I'd imagine it slows most stuff down. Do you have an ssd in the machine,
That does help but it seems to me its a bottleneck in the multi tasking or
the way processor cores are utilised on Intel machines as not seen it so
bad on AMD of similar spec. Its surely not a great problem to wait for the
download though is it?
Brian

You would look at Task Manager for some hint as to
what is going on.

Sysinternals ProcMon would be another tool of interest.

The updater is an EXE in the Program Files folder of Firefox.
But these things could change from one release to another.

Modern Firefox also puts a toast notice on the screen,
as a further source of annoyance. The Firefox updater
requests UAC elevation, and that can be a source of slowdown,
if (somehow) the UAC prompt was hidden behind other items.
Some of the older OSes were capable of hiding a UAC prompt.

There is a whole lot of junk involved, to make this work.

And Windows Update scans the living **** out of the computer,
even when the Settings window is not open. Windows Update is
also allowed to scan the living **** out of the machine,
multiple times a day. That used to be a problem for some
corporations running Windows 7, that was a complaint.
It was running hourly or something. And that's before
the download for the update has even started.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns explained :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Each time Firefox downloads one of its automatic updates, until the update
is installed, browsing in Firefox comes almost to a painful standstill.

firefox upgrades are generally only about 10 seconds to download and 10
seconds to upgrade and restart the browser here

I notice similar issue with Win10 updates, once they are downloaded and
ready to install.

Those can take longer, but during the download phase it doesn't hammer
anything ...

I don't think Harry means the time taken to do the actual download or
update, but just in general terms.

For instance, I hardly ever power my main computer down, just letting
it sleep overnight. I may reboot it every couple of weeks or so.
However, if browsing starts to slow down to the point where it annoys
me, I can always guarantee that a Firefox update has downloaded and is
waiting for me to close the browser so it can action said update.

It's a repeatable situation that happens every time there's an update.