Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OLED TV.

Anyone got one and care to advise?

My new laptop has an OLED screen, and is so much better than the previous
LCD. Especially not changing with viewing angle.

I have looked at what's available, but not sure why the price varies so
much for the same size. And why there are so many variations from the same
maker.

--
*My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. She stops to breathe.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone got one and care to advise?

I have a LG model...

My new laptop has an OLED screen, and is so much better than the previous
LCD. Especially not changing with viewing angle.

Yup the big wins are massive contrast ratios, and very wide viewing
angle. Nicer to vie in low light as well, with no backlight bleed through.

Downsides include slightly lower peak brightness[1] than some backlit
sets, a screen that can accumulate some patchy "noise" visible in dim
areas (it tends to clear itself, and the sets usually have an option to
wipe it). There is also a possibility of something akin to screen burn
on areas where a static bright graphics is held for too long - that can
reduce the output of a colour in a area)

[1] This will only matter in high ambient brightness viewing conditions,
and the much improved contrast tends to compensate anyway. HDR content
is stunningly better on OLED than backlit IME.

I have looked at what's available, but not sure why the price varies so
much for the same size. And why there are so many variations from the same
maker.

There are not that many makers of the panels themselves, so I guess each
manufacture has to find a way to differentiate their product when they
can't use image quality alone as a USP. You will pay more for higher end
processors, and more elaborate sound systems, plus multiple tuners etc
(many will have both DVBT2 and DVBS now).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

Anyone got one and care to advise?

I have a LG model...

My new laptop has an OLED screen, and is so much better than the
previous LCD. Especially not changing with viewing angle.

Yup the big wins are massive contrast ratios, and very wide viewing
angle. Nicer to vie in low light as well, with no backlight bleed
through.

Downsides include slightly lower peak brightness[1] than some backlit
sets, a screen that can accumulate some patchy "noise" visible in dim
areas (it tends to clear itself, and the sets usually have an option to
wipe it). There is also a possibility of something akin to screen burn
on areas where a static bright graphics is held for too long - that can
reduce the output of a colour in a area)

That does worry me, as I use the set for family Zoom meetings (HDMI lead
from a PC). Leave it on tile so I can see everyone at all times. So a
fairly static pic for an hour or so.

[1] This will only matter in high ambient brightness viewing conditions,
and the much improved contrast tends to compensate anyway. HDR content
is stunningly better on OLED than backlit IME.

I have looked at what's available, but not sure why the price varies so
much for the same size. And why there are so many variations from the same
maker.

There are not that many makers of the panels themselves, so I guess each
manufacture has to find a way to differentiate their product when they
can't use image quality alone as a USP. You will pay more for higher end
processors, and more elaborate sound systems, plus multiple tuners etc
(many will have both DVBT2 and DVBS now).

A satellite tuner would tidy things up - could get rid of the STB one.
Which i hardly ever use anyway. Don't need speakers at all, as it's fed to
an external system at all times. Don't do gaming either.

--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Its not as dramatic as screen burn, and you can't for example see the
image on the unlit screen. You also generally can't see it on a normal
picture. However you might see it on a flat area of *some* colours.

For example our TV gets used for youtube, and one of the on screen
gadgets is a search button, marked with a bright yellow swatch (to
indicate press the yellow button):

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...archSwatch.jpg

Now against a normal picture, it leaves no impression:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...GOLEDDemo1.jpg
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...GOLEDDemo3.jpg

(images just being the stock pictures it cycles through if it has
nothing better to display)

However, if I manage to stick a solid area with a high red content in
that corner:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...OLEDShadow.jpg

You can see a slight darkening. With time displaying other things it
fades a bit. Running the "de-noise" will also fade it a bit.

Oddly the peak level red youtube logo itself seems to leave no
impression. So its colour selective as well.

[...]

Yup same here for sound (the built in sound is nothing offensive, but
nothing special either). It has got an xbox connected though, and
running Forza Hoizons 4, looks spectacular on it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Thinking on, many laptops will display a pretty static image for long
periods of time. When running off mains and unattended, unless you've got
things set to switch off the display.

--
*Vegetarians taste great*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thinking on, many laptops will display a pretty static image for long
periods of time. When running off mains and unattended, unless you've got
things set to switch off the display.

Dynamic screen savers will be making a comeback then. Mine is configured
to switch off after 10 minutes unattended. It comes back on again PDQ.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 May 2021 at 15:41:19 BST, "Martin Brown"

Thinking on, many laptops will display a pretty static image for long
periods of time. When running off mains and unattended, unless you've got
things set to switch off the display.

Dynamic screen savers will be making a comeback then. Mine is configured
to switch off after 10 minutes unattended. It comes back on again PDQ.

The LG OLED I've got has an aggressive screensaver - comes on quite quickly
and not possible to override.
--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 May 2021 at 01:38:06 BST, "John Rumm"

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

That's quite a vivid illustration of the effect. I don't use my LG TV's
Youtube app much, but doesn't the yellow thing disappear once you start
watching a video? Does on mine.

Oddly the peak level red youtube logo itself seems to leave no
impression. So its colour selective as well.

The station branding logos too - they don't seem to leave an imprint. Can't
say I've noticed any problem with mine.

On the TV (a 55" LG), stunning picture, at least compared to my other TV - a
well reviewed LCD. Seems sharper with colours more vivid, black blacks, and
all maintained across almost any viewing angle. The Atmos sound is quite
decent as these things go too.

The only downside I can think of is the near mirror like screen reflects just
about anything. And I'd have preferred something smaller - 55" is too big for
my lounge.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2021 16:47, RJH wrote:
On 9 May 2021 at 15:41:19 BST, "Martin Brown"

Thinking on, many laptops will display a pretty static image for long
periods of time. When running off mains and unattended, unless you've got
things set to switch off the display.

Dynamic screen savers will be making a comeback then. Mine is configured
to switch off after 10 minutes unattended. It comes back on again PDQ.

The LG OLED I've got has an aggressive screensaver - comes on quite quickly
and not possible to override.

Yup after 5 mins of inactivity on screen it kicks in with a starburst
style display on mine.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Yup it does, although its static all the time you are on the menu
scrolling through videos etc.

Oddly the peak level red youtube logo itself seems to leave no
impression. So its colour selective as well.

The station branding logos too - they don't seem to leave an imprint. Can't
say I've noticed any problem with mine.

As I said, it quite subtle, and only shows with some colours IME (also
mine is a 2016/17 model so later ones may have tuned it out more.

On the TV (a 55" LG), stunning picture, at least compared to my other TV - a
well reviewed LCD. Seems sharper with colours more vivid, black blacks, and
all maintained across almost any viewing angle. The Atmos sound is quite
decent as these things go too.

On mine I find the most noticeable transformation is going from normal
to HDR content (HD to 4K is "better" but not massively so). The HDR
difference on the OLED is far more profound an improvement than you get
on any of our LCD/LED sets.

(HDR was improved further when I configured the source devices to
increase the peak brightness they would deliver in HDR mode - by default
they use quit conservative limits).

The only downside I can think of is the near mirror like screen reflects just
about anything. And I'd have preferred something smaller - 55" is too big for
my lounge.

Mine is reflective, although not totally flat - so there is some breakup
of reflections if you look at it obliquely.

I think I would have gone for 60 or 65, but it would fit in the
furniture I made for it, so 55 is ok. Atmos is handled by the AV amp
rather than the TV (did not seem worth spending extra on TV audio since
I was not going to use it much). (although I only have a 5.1 speaker
setup, so probably don't get the full effect from atmos)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm not sure but there are some which only illuminate around non dark bits
and some which are truly led pixels. These terms seem to be banded about
willy nilly especially on phones. Luckily I don't use the screen any moor
myself. I guess if it truly is small leds then viewing angle would not
matter as lcds are multi layer and hence lose alignment off axis.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Anyone got one and care to advise?

My new laptop has an OLED screen, and is so much better than the previous
LCD. Especially not changing with viewing angle.

I have looked at what's available, but not sure why the price varies so
much for the same size. And why there are so many variations from the same
maker.

--
*My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. She stops to breathe.

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Samsung make a lot of the Oled screens these days, Even Apples I gather,
which is why its takingtime to return the fingerprint unlocking feature
everyone likes, as its going to be under screen. Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
.. .

Anyone got one and care to advise?

I have a LG model...

My new laptop has an OLED screen, and is so much better than the previous
LCD. Especially not changing with viewing angle.

Yup the big wins are massive contrast ratios, and very wide viewing angle.
Nicer to vie in low light as well, with no backlight bleed through.

Downsides include slightly lower peak brightness[1] than some backlit
sets, a screen that can accumulate some patchy "noise" visible in dim
areas (it tends to clear itself, and the sets usually have an option to
wipe it). There is also a possibility of something akin to screen burn on
areas where a static bright graphics is held for too long - that can
reduce the output of a colour in a area)

[1] This will only matter in high ambient brightness viewing conditions,
and the much improved contrast tends to compensate anyway. HDR content is
stunningly better on OLED than backlit IME.

I have looked at what's available, but not sure why the price varies so
much for the same size. And why there are so many variations from the
same
maker.

There are not that many makers of the panels themselves, so I guess each
manufacture has to find a way to differentiate their product when they
can't use image quality alone as a USP. You will pay more for higher end
processors, and more elaborate sound systems, plus multiple tuners etc
(many will have both DVBT2 and DVBS now).

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 May 2021 15:41:19 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Thinking on, many laptops will display a pretty static image for long
periods of time. When running off mains and unattended, unless you've got
things set to switch off the display.

Dynamic screen savers will be making a comeback then. Mine is configured
to switch off after 10 minutes unattended. It comes back on again PDQ.

After reading about burn-in (burn-out is more like it) I decided against
OLED and got a Samsung QLED, 55" (would have liked bigger but couldn't
afford the new house to go with it).
No burn possible, really good picture that hold to about 80 deg. off centre
and very low reflectivity.
How it compares with OLED I don't know, but I use settings that are well
away from shop mode - don't want eye burn as well!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away