Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OLED Televisions.

Notice these are being promoted. Are they a true LED TV, or just LCD
with LED backlight?

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Notice these are being promoted. Are they a true LED TV, or just LCD
with LED backlight?

The pixels are emmissive and need no back light - so yes they are "true"
LED in that sens, even if you would not recognise the LED itself.

The main advantage is "perfect" black levels, wide viewing angles are
ridiculously thin screens. Downside is eye watering prices at the
moment, and some question over the longevity of the panels (especially
the blue component)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Notice these are being promoted. Are they a true LED TV,

Yes. Organic Light Emmitting Diode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

or just LCD
with LED backlight?

No
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Notice these are being promoted. Are they a true LED TV, or just LCD
with LED backlight?

"OLED TV" generally means "every pixel is an LED" - like say a smartphone.

"LED TV" is often gratuitously misused to mean "LED backlit LCD" which
have some advantages as they can modulate the LED backlighting by region
to achieve better contrast, but is not true LED.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Notice these are being promoted. Are they a true LED TV, or just LCD
with LED backlight?

"OLED TV" generally means "every pixel is an LED" - like say a
smartphone.

It may mean that in practice - but there's no fundamental reason why OLED
can't be used as a backlight.

"LED TV" is often gratuitously misused to mean "LED backlit LCD" which
have some advantages as they can modulate the LED backlighting by region
to achieve better contrast, but is not true LED.

It would be equally possible to make a TV using conventional LEDs - as
some display screens do. Technology may allow this for domestic screens
one day - who knows?

Having looked at the LG OLED spec, it's interesting it uses an extra white
LED rather than just RGB, which suggests the colorimetry of the RGB might
not be ideal.

--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Notice these are being promoted. Are they a true LED TV, or just LCD
with LED backlight?

"OLED TV" generally means "every pixel is an LED" - like say a
smartphone.

It may mean that in practice - but there's no fundamental reason why OLED
can't be used as a backlight.

Apart from the manufacturing cost and the fact that OLEDs are not designed
to be long-lived in a constant output scenario, of course ... And yes, I
know that the LED backlights are modulated on some LCD TVs, but the purpose
of the backlight is still overwhelmingly to produce a large quantity of
white light.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 00:11:44 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Having looked at the LG OLED spec, it's interesting it uses an extra
white LED rather than just RGB, which suggests the colorimetry of the
RGB might not be ideal.

Or you don't have to drive the RGB ones so hard to get a given level
of light. I shall have to take a closer look at the LED ad boards, I
think they are only RGB clusters.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Notice these are being promoted. Are they a true LED TV, or just LCD
with LED backlight?

"OLED TV" generally means "every pixel is an LED" - like say a
smartphone.

It may mean that in practice - but there's no fundamental reason why OLED
can't be used as a backlight.

Of course - I was making an observation about the way the term seems to
be used by marketing droids.

My Samsung phone is OLED (as the last one was, Galaxy S2 then Note 3).
It's got a brilliant little display - way in excess of what any LCD
could achieve.

But little is the operative word. It would be great to have a 42" TV
with the same display tech but I would assume right now that's going to
cost a small fortune.

As "OLED" is marketed as "super premium LED display" it would be risky
to pollute the term for mere backlighting.

"LED TV" is often gratuitously misused to mean "LED backlit LCD" which
have some advantages as they can modulate the LED backlighting by region
to achieve better contrast, but is not true LED.

It would be equally possible to make a TV using conventional LEDs - as
some display screens do. Technology may allow this for domestic screens
one day - who knows?

Having looked at the LG OLED spec, it's interesting it uses an extra white
LED rather than just RGB, which suggests the colorimetry of the RGB might
not be ideal.

I wonder if we are going down the route of printing and eventually we'll
have several intermediate colours on the really high end displays?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/14 08:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 00:11:44 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Having looked at the LG OLED spec, it's interesting it uses an extra
white LED rather than just RGB, which suggests the colorimetry of the
RGB might not be ideal.

Or you don't have to drive the RGB ones so hard to get a given level
of light. I shall have to take a closer look at the LED ad boards, I
think they are only RGB clusters.

[Tangent]

Anyone remember the Tomorrow's World episode with the giant RGB panel
that used GLS coloured lamps for the the pixels?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 17/12/2014 08:54, Tim Watts wrote:

My Samsung phone is OLED (as the last one was, Galaxy S2 then Note 3).
It's got a brilliant little display - way in excess of what any LCD
could achieve.

Clearly there is a difference, because others' say there is but my eyes
can't see the difference* between the Galaxy S3, the Note 3 (other than
higher res) and the lcd screen on, for example, an iPhone.
Same with the otherwise identical Sony Vita OLED and LCD versions.

How this translates up to large displays I'm not sure, they don't look
much different to me either, in the shop at least.

Decent LCD screens have pretty good blacks these days...

*The viewing angle advantage of OLED goes without saying of course, I'm
talking about viewing front on.

When it comes to very small screen though, OLED is definitely more
readable than LCD, I have one those fairly common little 1" 64*128
displays for a 'Duino project and it's amazingly easy to read despite
being tiny

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
It may mean that in practice - but there's no fundamental reason why
OLED can't be used as a backlight.

Of course - I was making an observation about the way the term seems to
be used by marketing droids.

Oh indeed. Trouble is when LED back lighting arrived, they weren't too
eager to make sure it wasn't thought of as an LED TV.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?