Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default H05VV-F cable special or generic?

https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/techni...cations/ho5vv-
f-cable-specification/

I've managed to damage the cable for the slow cooker.

It is marked with all sorts of stuff, including H05VV-F.

From the specification above it seems to be used for all sorts of things
including PC power cables, and isn't particularly heat resistant.

I was going to check the cable stash to see what was there.
I know I have some white flex on a reel but haven't yet checked it for
markings.

At the moment I'm trying to work out if there is something extra special
about the flex for this particular use, or if a generic reel of cable will
do.

Cheers

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/techni...cations/ho5vv-
f-cable-specification/

I've managed to damage the cable for the slow cooker.

It is marked with all sorts of stuff, including H05VV-F.

From the specification above it seems to be used for all sorts of things
including PC power cables, and isn't particularly heat resistant.

I was going to check the cable stash to see what was there.
I know I have some white flex on a reel but haven't yet checked it for
markings.

At the moment I'm trying to work out if there is something extra special
about the flex for this particular use, or if a generic reel of cable will
do.

I doubt cable for a slow cooker is anything special. They tend to produce
no more heat than an old lightbulb.

But if you want to be certain, get silicon cable for an immersion heater,
etc.

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 May 2021 14:01:40 +0000, David wrote:

https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/techni...pecifications/

ho5vv-
f-cable-specification/

I've managed to damage the cable for the slow cooker.

It is marked with all sorts of stuff, including H05VV-F.

From the specification above it seems to be used for all sorts of things
including PC power cables, and isn't particularly heat resistant.

I was going to check the cable stash to see what was there.
I know I have some white flex on a reel but haven't yet checked it for
markings.

At the moment I'm trying to work out if there is something extra special
about the flex for this particular use, or if a generic reel of cable
will do.

Well, one question answered.
Black damaged cable is marked with 0.75 mm which is the thinnest of those
shown in the specification above above.

The reels of white generic cable (one of which came from Texas going by
the label) are 1.5mm so above specification but potentially thicker.

Probably best to buy new.

Now to take the base off to check I can easily replace it.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 15:01, David wrote:
https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/techni...cations/ho5vv-
f-cable-specification/

I've managed to damage the cable for the slow cooker.

It is marked with all sorts of stuff, including H05VV-F.

So bog standard PVC insulated flexible conductors, in an overall PVC
sheeth...

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ed_cable_codes

From the specification above it seems to be used for all sorts of things
including PC power cables, and isn't particularly heat resistant.

Yup.

I was going to check the cable stash to see what was there.
I know I have some white flex on a reel but haven't yet checked it for
markings.

At the moment I'm trying to work out if there is something extra special
about the flex for this particular use, or if a generic reel of cable will
do.

It's about as generic as you can get...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
The reels of white generic cable (one of which came from Texas going by
the label) are 1.5mm so above specification but potentially thicker.

Should be fine, assuming it will fit.

Probably best to buy new.

Do you have any mains leads (eg for old computers or whatever) that you can
sacrifice? They may be of the right thickness.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 May 2021 15:27:19 +0100, Theo wrote:

David wrote:
The reels of white generic cable (one of which came from Texas going by
the label) are 1.5mm so above specification but potentially thicker.

Should be fine, assuming it will fit.

Probably best to buy new.

Do you have any mains leads (eg for old computers or whatever) that you
can sacrifice? They may be of the right thickness.

Theo

Thanks.

That though did cross my mind.
I must have drawers full.
Just need to find one that is long enough.
Also not too thick.

I might even find one with a moulded plug.
It must be years since I fitted an old MK style screw top 13 amp plug.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 May 2021 15:06:56 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I doubt cable for a slow cooker is anything special. They tend to
produce no more heat than an old lightbulb.

But if you want to be certain, get silicon cable for an immersion
heater,
etc.

I think silicone cable would be more flexible...

Sorry!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

An examination of the innards of the device and how hot it will get might
prove informative, since if its all pretty bog standard, I'd say its OK, I
mean most kettles seem to not exactly have heat resistant cables on them,
Just thick pvc and it don't arf pong if you accidentally burn it.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David" wrote in message
https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/techni...cations/ho5vv-
f-cable-specification/

I've managed to damage the cable for the slow cooker.

It is marked with all sorts of stuff, including H05VV-F.

From the specification above it seems to be used for all sorts of things