Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Greying ceiling above boiler

The ceiling and wall/ceiling corner above our boiler is slightly grey
having got that way over some years from previously 'is the ceiling a
bit grey there' to now 'it definitely is, yes'.

There's no CO2, there are 2 detectors in there.

I suppose the sensible answer is get someone in? Or is this normal to
some degree?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
The ceiling and wall/ceiling corner above our boiler is slightly grey
having got that way over some years from previously 'is the ceiling a
bit grey there' to now 'it definitely is, yes'.

There's no CO2, there are 2 detectors in there.

I suppose the sensible answer is get someone in? Or is this normal to
some degree?

There is always at least some waste heat from a boiler. Which will draw
air (and dirt) to above it. Same as you get above a rad, given enough time.

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 10:13, R D S wrote:
The ceiling and wall/ceiling corner above our boiler is slightly grey
having got that way over some years from previously 'is the ceiling a
bit grey there' to now 'it definitely is, yes'.

There's no CO2, there are 2 detectors in there.

I suppose the sensible answer is get someone in? Or is this normal to
some degree?

Sound like dirt deposited from convection currents to me. Time for some
paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 30/04/2021 10:13, R D S wrote:
The ceiling and wall/ceiling corner above our boiler is slightly grey
having got that way over some years from previously 'is the ceiling a
bit grey there' to now 'it definitely is, yes'.

There's no CO2, there are 2 detectors in there.

I suppose the sensible answer is get someone in? Or is this normal to
some degree?

Sound like dirt deposited from convection currents to me. Time for some
paint.

wash it down with sugar soap.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 10:13, R D S wrote:
The ceiling and wall/ceiling corner above our boiler is slightly grey
having got that way over some years from previously 'is the ceiling a
bit grey there' to now 'it definitely is, yes'.

There's no CO2, there are 2 detectors in there.

I suppose the sensible answer is get someone in? Or is this normal to
some degree?

Its warm, and so will convect a current of air up against the ceiling.
Dust in the air will do the rest.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rather like the power supply and cpu fan+cooler in my desktop
too !.

Andrew

On 30/04/2021 12:16, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes back in the days of valve tvs, above the TV had a lot of dust and stuff.
My guess in that case was static attracted it, then heat forced it up to the
wall and ceiling.If you have ever opened up an old crt TV after some years,
you will find it deep in muck.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 11:16, newshound wrote:
On 30/04/2021 10:13, R D S wrote:
The ceiling and wall/ceiling corner above our boiler is slightly grey
having got that way over some years from previously 'is the ceiling a
bit grey there' to now 'it definitely is, yes'.

There's no CO2, there are 2 detectors in there.

I suppose the sensible answer is get someone in? Or is this normal to
some degree?

Sound like dirt deposited from convection currents to me. Time for some
paint.

+1

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 30 April 2021 at 12:16:46 UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes back in the days of valve tvs, above the TV had a lot of dust and stuff.
My guess in that case was static attracted it, then heat forced it up to the
wall and ceiling.If you have ever opened up an old crt TV after some years,
you will find it deep in muck.

Brian

I suspect that the convection of dry, warm air you might expect round an operating boiler would itself tend to cause a build-up of static. And that would cause exactly the same issues as TVs, ionisers, etc.