Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water stains in ceiling above 2nd floor (below attic)

Hello all,

We have a 2-story house in north georgia. There is an attic above the
2nd floor which houses the A/C units for the house. The house is about
9 years old.

Now, recently, there are increasing number of water marks in the
middle of the 2nd floor ceiling (below the attic).

We haven't had any rain for the past 2-3 weeks and yet new stains keep
appearing. Should I rule out an issue with the roof?

I'm not sure who to call - attic people, A/C people, roofer, handymen,
etc.

Recently, we had an exterminator company seal up gaps in the fascia
boards/ducts in the outside of the home because squirrels were getting
in.

Pls advise. Serious replies pls!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 1:07*pm, lora wrote:
Hello all,

We have a 2-story house in north georgia. There is an attic above the
2nd floor which houses the A/C units for the house. The house is about
9 years old.

Now, recently, there are increasing number of water marks in the
middle of the 2nd floor ceiling (below the attic).

We haven't had any rain for the past 2-3 weeks and yet new stains keep
appearing. Should I rule out an issue with the roof?

I'm not sure who to call - attic people, A/C people, roofer, handymen,
etc.

A lot of newer houses in AZ are built like that, with the AC units in
the attic - not because it's more convenient, it's because the HOAs or
the CCRs don't like to see roof-mounted units. (I'm trying to imagine
the mess involved if an attic-mounted unit ever has to be replaced.)
Each AC unit will typically have 2 drip pipes leading outside - one is
the normal condensate drain, and one is connected to the overflow pan.
In our installation, the normal condensate drain pipe runs down
through the exterior wall and exits just above ground level - it is
normal for this pipe to drip while the AC is operating. The overflow
pan drain pipe exits at attic level - if we ever see any drips from
this pipe, it's time to see what's going on in the attic. If the
overflow pan drain gets plugged or starts leaking, you're gonna have
problems.

If you're not able to get into the attic yourself to have a look, I
would have an AC repairman check it out.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 5:05*pm, JerryM wrote:
On Jul 2, 1:07*pm, lora wrote:

[...]

Shortly after my new HVAC was installed I noticed condensate coming
out the aux drain. I went up into the attic to check it out and found
the HVAC guy had left a set of nut drivers in a canvas pouch sitting
in the pan next to the drain.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shortly after my new HVAC was installed I noticed condensate coming
out the aux drain. I went up into the attic to check it out and found
the HVAC guy had left a set of nut drivers in a canvas pouch sitting
in the pan next to the drain.

Jimmie

Did you return them to the guy???????????????????????????????

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Jul 2, 5:05 pm, JerryM wrote:
On Jul 2, 1:07 pm, lora wrote:

[...]

Cool! What brand?

(But seriously- having sorta been in the business in an earlier part of
life, I know how much it sucks when you are a tradesman and leave a tool
behind accidentally. When people do that here, I at least call, or if
their office/yard is on one of my normal routes, I just bag it up and
hang it on the door for their boss to find, with a note saying where it
was left.)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

lora wrote:
Hello all,

We have a 2-story house in north georgia. There is an attic above the
2nd floor which houses the A/C units for the house. The house is about
9 years old.

Now, recently, there are increasing number of water marks in the
middle of the 2nd floor ceiling (below the attic).

We haven't had any rain for the past 2-3 weeks and yet new stains keep
appearing. Should I rule out an issue with the roof?

I'm not sure who to call - attic people, A/C people, roofer, handymen,
etc.

Recently, we had an exterminator company seal up gaps in the fascia
boards/ducts in the outside of the home because squirrels were getting
in.

Pls advise. Serious replies pls!

To rephrase what others have said:

Condensate within the A/C unit is normal. It usually drains into the
toilet's vent stack.

In the fullness of time, this condensate drain becomes clogged with algae
and the condensate overflows into an emergency collection pan. This
emergency pan usually drains to the outside where, when you see it dripping,
you know something is amiss with the regular drain.

If the overflow pan continues to drain to the outside of the building (or
wherever) it, too, will eventually get clogged with algae.

The condensate then has NOWHERE to go but overflows the emergency pan onto
the ceiling.

The fix is simple - if you can gain access to the A/C evaporator unit.

1. Blow out the gunk that's clogging the overflow pan drain.
2. Blow out the crap that's clogging the primary drain.
3. Dump a cup of bleach down each drain to kill the remaining algae.
4. Install a water warning device like this:

Thereafter, once a season, dump a cup of bleach in the evaporator coil area.
I had to drill a 1/2" hole in the sheet metal to be able to do so (careful -
don't drill a hole in the evaporator coils).

Posted to alt.home.repair

JerryM wrote:
On Jul 2, 1:07 pm, lora wrote:
[...]

We always install a safety shutoff float switch in the second pan.
The evaporator drain pan is where we will put a slow release detergent
pad that not only keeps the drain clear but contains a bactericide
to kill those pesky microscopic critters. Ask your HVAC tech about
setting it up for you.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

What is "pls"?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"lora" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
What is "pls"?

Short for "plasenta." Trying to save bndwth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TYVM, which is a variation on Tyvek, used to vapor barrier
houses.

HAGD! which is a Scottish dish made with potatos.

WYSIWYG, which is a hair piece that allows air to blow
under, a whizzy wig.

Thanks for your translation. that's very helpful.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message