Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryM JerryM is offline

Default water stains in ceiling above 2nd floor (below attic)

On Jul 2, 1:07*pm, lora wrote:
Hello all,

We have a 2-story house in north georgia. There is an attic above the
2nd floor which houses the A/C units for the house. The house is about
9 years old.

Now, recently, there are increasing number of water marks in the
middle of the 2nd floor ceiling (below the attic).

We haven't had any rain for the past 2-3 weeks and yet new stains keep
appearing. Should I rule out an issue with the roof?

I'm not sure who to call - attic people, A/C people, roofer, handymen,
etc.

A lot of newer houses in AZ are built like that, with the AC units in
the attic - not because it's more convenient, it's because the HOAs or
the CCRs don't like to see roof-mounted units. (I'm trying to imagine
the mess involved if an attic-mounted unit ever has to be replaced.)
Each AC unit will typically have 2 drip pipes leading outside - one is
the normal condensate drain, and one is connected to the overflow pan.
In our installation, the normal condensate drain pipe runs down
through the exterior wall and exits just above ground level - it is
normal for this pipe to drip while the AC is operating. The overflow
pan drain pipe exits at attic level - if we ever see any drips from
this pipe, it's time to see what's going on in the attic. If the
overflow pan drain gets plugged or starts leaking, you're gonna have
problems.

If you're not able to get into the attic yourself to have a look, I
would have an AC repairman check it out.

Jerry