Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooked something with gas whilst boiler was off - Need to purge pipes before using cooker?

Whilst the boiler was off, I cooked some eggs using the remaining gas in the pipes. Right now I am the only one home so I'm not worried about anyone using the cooker to blow everyone up. I have purged the cooker (just set all the cooker valves to open) for about 3 minutes but have no idea whether it has made a difference. The pipeline is probably about ten metres. Any help?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...u-3114749-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 3:36:44 AM UTC+1, JonnyWindsor wrote:
Whilst the boiler was off, I cooked some eggs using the remaining gas in the pipes. Right now I am the only one home so I'm not worried about anyone using the cooker to blow everyone up. I have purged the cooker (just set all the cooker valves to open) for about 3 minutes but have no idea whether it has made a difference. The pipeline is probably about ten metres. Any help?

I think you need to explain what is so peculiar about your personal circumstances that cooking with the boiler off should be in any way a problem!

If you managed to cook an egg its most unlikely that your gas supply was interrupted and Im at a loss to imagine why you think turning the boiler off should affect your cooker.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 09:02:01 -0700, Tim+ wrote:

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 3:36:44 AM UTC+1, JonnyWindsor wrote:
Whilst the boiler was off, I cooked some eggs using the remaining gas
in the pipes. Right now I am the only one home so I'm not worried about
anyone using the cooker to blow everyone up. I have purged the cooker
(just set all the cooker valves to open) for about 3 minutes but have
no idea whether it has made a difference. The pipeline is probably
about ten metres. Any help?

I think you need to explain what is so peculiar about your personal
circumstances that cooking with the boiler off should be in any way a
problem!

If you managed to cook an egg its most unlikely that your gas supply
was interrupted and Im at a loss to imagine why you think turning the
boiler off should affect your cooker.

I saw where the post originated, so concluded pretty quickly that the
poster was a thick, thick ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
[...]

Given that he *didnt* tag his post on to a 15 yr old thread with no
quoting, I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

As an aside, in a certain Canary island flat I was in, it was all on bottled
gas, but either seemed to be no indication of the level of gas in the tank.
I soon found out how to tell when it was almost gone, as it had one of those
water heaters we used to know as an Ascot. While using the hot water with
the boiler fired up it suddenly went bang, and shot a plastic bung in the
side across the kitchen and made a dent in the wall.
Asking the service guy for the flats he said, ah, sorry the tank must have
been a bit low and the mixture becomes explosive if that happens and that is
just the safety mechanism to stop a major explosion. So note to self,
watch your levels in bottled gas, particularly in an archaic foreign
installation.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Alan" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2021 20:44, Tim+ wrote:
Alan wrote:
[...]

I remember reading somewhere about a big house explosion back in 2006.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Normally you can see the 'frost line' where the gas is, though this
might not work in a very dry climate.
Is it humid on the Canary Islands ?.

Andrew

On 30/04/2021 07:44, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
As an aside, in a certain Canary island flat I was in, it was all on bottled
gas, but either seemed to be no indication of the level of gas in the tank.
I soon found out how to tell when it was almost gone, as it had one of those
water heaters we used to know as an Ascot. While using the hot water with
the boiler fired up it suddenly went bang, and shot a plastic bung in the
side across the kitchen and made a dent in the wall.
Asking the service guy for the flats he said, ah, sorry the tank must have
been a bit low and the mixture becomes explosive if that happens and that is
just the safety mechanism to stop a major explosion. So note to self,
watch your levels in bottled gas, particularly in an archaic foreign
installation.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 07:44, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

As an aside, in a certain Canary island flat I was in, it was all on bottled
gas, but either seemed to be no indication of the level of gas in the tank.
I soon found out how to tell when it was almost gone, as it had one of those
water heaters we used to know as an Ascot. While using the hot water with
the boiler fired up it suddenly went bang, and shot a plastic bung in the
side across the kitchen and made a dent in the wall.
Asking the service guy for the flats he said, ah, sorry the tank must have
been a bit low and the mixture becomes explosive if that happens and that is
just the safety mechanism to stop a major explosion. So note to self,
watch your levels in bottled gas, particularly in an archaic foreign
installation.

"Gas geysers" were well known for their explosive "safety" cut-outs. and
people having to call up and down stairs to achieve a hot bath if the
geyser was in the kitchen.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
On 29/04/2021 20:44, Tim+ wrote:
Alan wrote:
[...]

Only one? There have been oodles of house explosions. Not sure how that
observation is relevant to the OPs question.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

"Gas geysers" were well known for their explosive "safety" cut-outs. and
people having to call up and down stairs to achieve a hot bath if the
geyser was in the kitchen.

I once spent a few weeks in a grotty flat in darkest Salford (so
long ago that Salford Van Hire only hired vans in Salford) (1)
with a temperamental water heater which gave astonishing
explosions whenever you tried to use it, no matter what technique
you employed.

In the end I bequeathed it a Dymo label:

"To avoid explosions, turn tap on quickly. Or was it slowly?"

(1) The cinema slide advertising them showed three of their vans
on the adjacent cobbled street, where I lived for a few months.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 14:15, Tim+ wrote:
Andy Bennet wrote:
On 29/04/2021 20:44, Tim+ wrote:
Alan wrote:
[...]

WHOOSH the joke went that away

It was a ha-ha Tim. 2006 (date of the posting) plus 15 years gives
2021 (present day).

He's insinuating this 'cooking with the boiler off' (or rather the idiot
that thought this was a problem) caused a HUGE gas explosion
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:
On 30/04/2021 14:15, Tim+ wrote:
Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]