Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lightning strike damage

while I remember, I said I'd post these previously.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/whiskydave/5B58VS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 23:05, whisky-dave wrote:
while I remember, I said I'd post these previously.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/whiskydave/5B58VS

any piccys of the point at which the lightning made contact? (I presume
the TV aerial?)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 23:27:45 UTC+1, SH wrote:
On 20/04/2021 23:05, whisky-dave wrote:
while I remember, I said I'd post these previously.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/whiskydave/5B58VS

any piccys of the point at which the lightning made contact? (I presume
the TV aerial?)

well I wasn't getting on the roof !, but no the phono connector on the aerial lead blew off and
the pin had embedded itself in the carpet leaving a burn mark. photos 2&3
According to 6 or so neighbours/ virginmedia engineers the lightning struck the outside cable box serving a few houses
and there was a few virginmedia guys outside replacing customer TiVos, didn't seem to affect the telephone system
or the mains CU unit box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2021 00:09, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 23:27:45 UTC+1, SH wrote:
On 20/04/2021 23:05, whisky-dave wrote:
while I remember, I said I'd post these previously.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/whiskydave/5B58VS

any piccys of the point at which the lightning made contact? (I presume
the TV aerial?)

well I wasn't getting on the roof !, but no the phono connector on the aerial lead blew off and
the pin had embedded itself in the carpet leaving a burn mark. photos 2&3
According to 6 or so neighbours/ virginmedia engineers the lightning struck the outside cable box serving a few houses
and there was a few virginmedia guys outside replacing customer TiVos, didn't seem to affect the telephone system
or the mains CU unit box.

Hmmmm as I understood it, the VM cabinets are on the pavements, You'd
think teh lighting strike would be more likely to strike a TV aerial or
Satellite dish than a VM roadside cabinet?

My internet is coincidentally fibre to the hope product so I have some
"insulation" should the telecoms structure gets hit. (we use internet
for TV viewing like netwflix, disney, iplayer ITV hub etc)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SH wrote:

fibre to the hope

Is that BT's new infrastructure investment policy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2021 08:44, Andy Burns wrote:
SH wrote:

fibre to the hope

Is that BT's new infrastructure investment policy?

LOL

I meant home! this is with Vodafone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 April 2021 at 08:34:55 UTC+1, SH wrote:
[...]

According to the engineers it hit the VM cabinet which is why the TiVo boxes needed replaying.
Maybe it went through the earth and up through the aerial as lightning sometimes goes up and not always down.
This could explain why the fuse in the TV plug vapourised .
The TV aerial still worked after the event although the copper sheath was discloured and a little brittle.

My internet is coincidentally fibre to the hope product so I have some
"insulation" should the telecoms structure gets hit. (we use internet
for TV viewing like netwflix, disney, iplayer ITV hub etc)

Not sure if mine is cable or fibre the connector to the TiVo box has a central copper conductor.
internet VM I get 200Mb down 20Mb up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not sure if mine is cable or fibre the connector to the TiVo box has a central copper conductor.
internet VM I get 200Mb down 20Mb up.

Is that all? I get 500 Mb down and 500 Mb up..... :-)

I was too tight to pay for 900 Mb down and 900 MB up...... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2021 08:34, SH wrote:

Hmmmm as I understood it, the VM cabinets are on the pavements, You'd
think teh lighting strike would be more likely to strike a TV aerial or
Satellite dish than a VM roadside cabinet?

No, not the case. I've seen examples where the lightning has hit the
road and made a crater, and the surrounding houses have EMP damage €”
burnt cables etc €” but no signs of an actual strike.

I've also seen burnt out electrics on a boat on the Broads when the
lightning had struck the water nearby.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 23:05, whisky-dave wrote:
while I remember, I said I'd post these previously.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/whiskydave/5B58VS

So the 18dB attenuator has become an 118dB one. Stop complaining.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In my experience the area is often larger than just the bit which is
conductive, so it might be hard to pin point. Certainly the factory that got
struck in the 80s I mentioned before had several parts of its roof glazing
missing completely, but there were no obvious high points to strike, it
seemed totally random.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please