Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default G9 LED

I have had a bit of a saga converting from halogen to LED.

The fitting was served by a dimmer - as this was under loaded I was getting
flickering so I bought a V-PRO LED Dimmer Module.

I was annoyed to find that the brightness when set at full on is slightly
reduced.

Their technical department pointed out that dimmers work by chopping the
waveform - I know - but surely there should be no chopping at the full-on
position. Not impressed.

I have reverted to the original MK Dimmer and have put one halogen i the
fitting to increase the load.

Seems okay now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 19:43:39 +0000, JohnP wrote:

I have had a bit of a saga converting from halogen to LED.

The fitting was served by a dimmer - as this was under loaded I was
getting flickering so I bought a V-PRO LED Dimmer Module.

I was annoyed to find that the brightness when set at full on is
slightly reduced.

Their technical department pointed out that dimmers work by chopping the
waveform - I know - but surely there should be no chopping at the
full-on position. Not impressed.

I have reverted to the original MK Dimmer and have put one halogen i the
fitting to increase the load.

Seems okay now.

Here is a good article: https://www.ledsmagazine.com/leds-ssl-design/
article/14168524/linear-led-driver-approach-can-be-the-simplest-ssl-option-
magazine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
The fitting was served by a dimmer - as this was under loaded I was
getting flickering so I bought a V-PRO LED Dimmer Module.

I was annoyed to find that the brightness when set at full on is
slightly reduced.

There is an insertion loss with any dimmer. On tungsten too.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
The fitting was served by a dimmer - as this was under loaded I was
getting flickering so I bought a V-PRO LED Dimmer Module.

I was annoyed to find that the brightness when set at full on is
slightly reduced.

There is an insertion loss with any dimmer. On tungsten too.

But why can't it be set up so that when the potentiometer is full on - the
dimmer circuitry is bypassed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon wrote in :

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 19:43:39 +0000, JohnP wrote:

I have had a bit of a saga converting from halogen to LED.

The fitting was served by a dimmer - as this was under loaded I was
getting flickering so I bought a V-PRO LED Dimmer Module.

I was annoyed to find that the brightness when set at full on is
slightly reduced.

Their technical department pointed out that dimmers work by chopping
the waveform - I know - but surely there should be no chopping at the
full-on position. Not impressed.

I have reverted to the original MK Dimmer and have put one halogen i
the fitting to increase the load.

Seems okay now.

Here is a good article:
https://www.ledsmagazine.com/leds-ssl-design/
article/14168524/linear-led-driver-approach-can-be-the-simplest-ssl-opt
ion- magazine

Thanks for the link - a bit beyond my level, but some interesting stuff to
browse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2021 09:31, jon wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 19:43:39 +0000, JohnP wrote:

I have had a bit of a saga converting from halogen to LED.

The fitting was served by a dimmer - as this was under loaded I was
getting flickering so I bought a V-PRO LED Dimmer Module.

I was annoyed to find that the brightness when set at full on is
slightly reduced.

Their technical department pointed out that dimmers work by chopping the
waveform - I know - but surely there should be no chopping at the
full-on position. Not impressed.

I have reverted to the original MK Dimmer and have put one halogen i the
fitting to increase the load.

Seems okay now.

Here is a good article: https://www.ledsmagazine.com/leds-ssl-design/
article/14168524/linear-led-driver-approach-can-be-the-simplest-ssl-option-
magazine

That is an interesting article, mentioning the Perpetua FlexFan to cool
the leds. Although it would be useful for a single high-wattage led
unit, I can't see how it could be used for small, domestic luminaires
with several separate lights. The other thing I didn't see mentioned was
any noise from the fan. Operating at 38Hz it might produce a low
frequency, but annoying, hum.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , JohnP
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article , JohnP
wrote:
The fitting was served by a dimmer - as this was under loaded I was
getting flickering so I bought a V-PRO LED Dimmer Module.

I was annoyed to find that the brightness when set at full on is
slightly reduced.

There is an insertion loss with any dimmer. On tungsten too.

But why can't it be set up so that when the potentiometer is full on -
the dimmer circuitry is bypassed?

You'd need extra circuitry to do this. This would add to size and cost.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
The fitting was served by a dimmer - as this was under loaded I was
getting flickering so I bought a V-PRO LED Dimmer Module.

I was annoyed to find that the brightness when set at full on is
slightly reduced.

There is an insertion loss with any dimmer. On tungsten too.

But why can't it be set up so that when the potentiometer is full on - the
dimmer circuitry is bypassed?

All semiconductors insert a slight loss. To totally eliminate this you'd
likely need a mechanical switch to bypass the electronics.

So saying, the electronics in an LED should get round any insert loss from
the dimmer. Since you're using a V-Pro, are you sure you've programmed it
to go up to max?

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
The fitting was served by a dimmer - as this was under loaded I
was getting flickering so I bought a V-PRO LED Dimmer Module.

I was annoyed to find that the brightness when set at full on is
slightly reduced.

There is an insertion loss with any dimmer. On tungsten too.

But why can't it be set up so that when the potentiometer is full on
- the dimmer circuitry is bypassed?

All semiconductors insert a slight loss. To totally eliminate this
you'd likely need a mechanical switch to bypass the electronics.

So saying, the electronics in an LED should get round any insert loss
from the dimmer. Since you're using a V-Pro, are you sure you've
programmed it to go up to max?

Yes - tried the 3 modes and the max / min settings. Their Tech Dept told me
to expect some loss. Not impressed.

I have reverted to a conventional MK Dimmer and have put one halogen with 4
LEDs in the fixture. Seems a lot better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
Yes - tried the 3 modes and the max / min settings. Their Tech Dept told me
to expect some loss. Not impressed.

I have reverted to a conventional MK Dimmer and have put one halogen with 4
LEDs in the fixture. Seems a lot better.

Not sure any other make dimmer will be better in principle? I've got V-Pro
dimming the LEDs in the kitchen. I had quite a search to find LEDs to
replace the PAR45 halogens, and was on the lookout to find anything to
whinge about. Since this was forced on me.

--
*I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
The fitting was served by a dimmer - as this was under loaded I was
getting flickering so I bought a V-PRO LED Dimmer Module.

I was annoyed to find that the brightness when set at full on is
slightly reduced.

There is an insertion loss with any dimmer. On tungsten too.

But why can't it be set up so that when the potentiometer is full on - the
dimmer circuitry is bypassed?

Still has to go thru a switch of some kind to do that and only
a relay would have no insertion loss. And you would get an
odd increase in brightness as you go to full brightness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 09:44:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But why can't it be set up so that when the potentiometer is full on - the
dimmer circuitry is bypassed?

Still has to go thru a switch of some kind to do that and only
a relay would have no insertion loss. And you would get an
odd increase in brightness as you go to full brightness.

The answer was already provided, senile sociopath! Just what in hell makes
you belief anyone's answer will only be valid when YOU confirm it,
sociopath?

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.