Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Table saw dust extraction

I think about improving DE from time to time (whenever I'm cleaning-up
after a messy job) but don't seem to find the necessary tuit. My saw has
a small hose from the crown guard (hinged on the riving knife) that goes
inside and joins the under-saw 50mm hose to come out to a 100mm port
that I connect to my 2HP HVLP cyclone extractor. I frequently operate
without the crown guard(!!) so plug the crown guard hose.
I'd like to devise a pivoting and self-adjusting crown guard that's
suspended from a hollow tube that's attached to the saw in some way and
can be used for DE. The crown extraction would be connected to the
under-saw hose with a throttle'able Y connection and then go to the LVHP
extractor.
Issues: how to make the suspension rigid enough (but allow the saw to be
moved), how to improve collection beneath the saw, ...
Suggestions and comments invited.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 April 2021 at 09:37:10 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

I think about improving DE from time to time

check mike farrington on youtube, ISTR he built a table saw dust
extraction system ...

For dust extraction to be fully effective it needs to be extracted at the point it is produced. On a table saw that is the point at the front of the blade as it passes under the table. On industrial scale saws you will find nozzles directed as close as possible to that point under the table. What is not captured at that point and spins round with the blade is usually sucked up by the outlet at the back of the saw.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I think about improving DE from time to time

check mike farrington on youtube, ISTR he built a table saw dust
extraction system ...

For dust extraction to be fully effective it needs to be extracted at the point it is produced. On a table saw that is the point at the front of the blade as it passes under the table. On industrial scale saws you will find nozzles directed as close as possible to that point under the table. What is not captured at that point and spins round with the blade is usually sucked up by the outlet at the back of the saw.

Richard

That makes sense, but I'm still using the manufacturer's under-sawblade
collection casing because I haven't (yet) managed to devise a better way
to collect the dust at the front and not get in the way of the tilting
arbour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 09:08, wrote:

I think about improving DE from time to time (whenever I'm cleaning-up
after a messy job) but don't seem to find the necessary tuit. My saw has
a small hose from the crown guard (hinged on the riving knife) that goes
inside and joins the under-saw 50mm hose to come out to a 100mm port
that I connect to my 2HP HVLP cyclone extractor. I frequently operate
without the crown guard(!!) so plug the crown guard hose.

One of the problems you might find with the smaller hose up top is that
its not as well suited to the HVLP extractor because of its higher back
pressure. Some people find running a separate LVHP collector (e.g a shop
vac style collector) just for the top hose works better.

I'd like to devise a pivoting and self-adjusting crown guard that's
suspended from a hollow tube that's attached to the saw in some way and
can be used for DE. The crown extraction would be connected to the
under-saw hose with a throttle'able Y connection and then go to the LVHP
extractor.
Issues: how to make the suspension rigid enough (but allow the saw to be
moved), how to improve collection beneath the saw, ...
Suggestions and comments invited.

There are quite a few examples of this kind of thing about - most are
quite large since they need to reach over the saw from far enough away
as to not curtail the maximum size of sheet you can process.

https://wayofwood.com/diy-tablesaw-o...d-blade-guard/

or

https://www.axminstertools.com/axmin...e-guard-104504

You may find that building a cowl to mount under the table to enclose as
much of the blade as you can (either fixed to the trunnions so that it
an tilt, or just wide enough that it can accommodate the tilt, and
connecting that to the HVLP collector will increase the air speed under
the blade high enough that it can capture everything flying off the tips
of the blade, before it gets a chance to escape again.

My saw was basically designed to just dump dust into its base for later
manual removal. However I added a 4" port to it. Running that into the
HVLP does reduce the amount that gets out of the case - but not
completely. (not helped by other piercings through the case like by the
blade height adjust wheel that let air be sucked in via alternate routes).

I found just adding a bit of tube split round the blade where it exits
the underside of the table, was quite effective on this contraption:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...awbench#In_Use

That might not be too difficult to mount such that it moves in sympathy
with the blade tilt.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 14:03, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/04/2021 09:08, wrote:

I think about improving DE from time to time (whenever I'm cleaning-up
after a messy job) but don't seem to find the necessary tuit. My saw
has a small hose from the crown guard (hinged on the riving knife)
that goes inside and joins the under-saw 50mm hose to come out to a
100mm port that I connect to my 2HP HVLP cyclone extractor. I
frequently operate without the crown guard(!!) so plug the crown guard
hose.

One of the problems you might find with the smaller hose up top is that
its not as well suited to the HVLP extractor because of its higher back
pressure. Some people find running a separate LVHP collector (e.g a shop
vac style collector) just for the top hose works better.

Yes, a little experimentation makes it seem that LVHP is better for both
top and bottom with the current internal plumbing.

I'd like to devise a pivoting and self-adjusting crown guard that's
suspended from a hollow tube that's attached to the saw in some way
and can be used for DE. The crown extraction would be connected to the
under-saw hose with a throttle'able Y connection and then go to the
LVHP extractor.
Issues: how to make the suspension rigid enough (but allow the saw to
be moved), how to improve collection beneath the saw, ...
Suggestions and comments invited.

There are quite a few examples of this kind of thing about - most are
quite large since they need to reach over the saw from far enough away
as to not curtail the maximum size of sheet you can process.

https://wayofwood.com/diy-tablesaw-o...d-blade-guard/

or

https://www.axminstertools.com/axmin...e-guard-104504

Thanks for those - thought-provoking and similar to what I had in mind
(but I can't believe Axminster sell many at that price)

[...]

I'm moving towards using a good LVHP almost everywhere (with cyclone,
50mm plastic ducting and home-made blast gates) and only using the HVLP
for the planer thicknesser, and maybe the (rarely used) wood lathe. I
suppose, if I ever get around to inventing something, a dust catcher for
the chop saw might be HVLP as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Probably not - and there are probably cheaper alternatives about. It was
more just an example. Some of the saw makers do their own ones as well.

[...]

IME HVLP shines for really high volume dust or chip creation (so
planners / thicknessers), and anything where its difficult to catch the
dust in something first and need to rely on really high speed airflow to
capture stuff being ejected from a blade tip.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes, HV for chips and large areas (chop saw), and HP for dust. I
upgraded my bandsaw to a Sabre-350 a while ago, the saw is great but the
dust collection is just a 100mm port into the lower casing - the top of
that casing only has a hole for the blade so most of the dust falls on
the floor; one day I'll make a cowl to go directly under the table and
switch it to LVHP. Ooo, perhaps this is the justification for a 3D
printer :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My EB band-saw is similar - 100mm port on the back of the bottom case.
In reality it works to some extent - it seems to stop any dust getting
recirculated round and dropped out of the top housing, and there is a
grid of holes around the table inset that allows some dust to get sucked
away. However its far from perfect. A cowl around the underside could
work well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message

My EB band-saw is similar - 100mm port on the back of the bottom case. In
reality it works to some extent - it seems to stop any dust getting
recirculated round and dropped out of the top housing, and there is a grid
of holes around the table inset that allows some dust to get sucked away.
However its far from perfect. A cowl around the underside could work well.

I've converted my small bandsaw to the Steve Maskery method which works
extremely well with a HPLV system. Post #5.
-
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads...icient.126232/

In the process of converting a larger bandsaw to the same system as it's
much easier to connect up to the shopvac rather than the 4" HVLP hose.

--
Regards
wasbit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2021 09:56, wasbit wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

My EB band-saw is similar - 100mm port on the back of the bottom case.
In reality it works to some extent - it seems to stop any dust getting
recirculated round and dropped out of the top housing, and there is a
grid of holes around the table inset that allows some dust to get
sucked away. However its far from perfect. A cowl around the underside
could work well.

I've converted my small bandsaw to the Steve Maskery method which works
extremely well with a HPLV system. Post #5.
-
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads...icient.126232/

In the process of converting a larger bandsaw to the same system as it's
much easier to connect up to the shopvac rather than the 4" HVLP hose.

An excellent (and entertaining) link. Thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message

My EB band-saw is similar - 100mm port on the back of the bottom
case. In reality it works to some extent - it seems to stop any dust
getting recirculated round and dropped out of the top housing, and
there is a grid of holes around the table inset that allows some dust
to get sucked away. However its far from perfect. A cowl around the
underside could work well.

I've converted my small bandsaw to the Steve Maskery method which
works extremely well with a HPLV system. Post #5.
-
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads...icient.126232/

In the process of converting a larger bandsaw to the same system as
it's much easier to connect up to the shopvac rather than the 4" HVLP
hose.

An excellent (and entertaining) link. Thanks!

Yup good link. At least with a bandsaw, the table tilts and not the
blade, that makes getting dust collection close to the blade easy.

(although some kind of bellows based cowl that attaches to the underside
of the table could also work to suck dust from the annulus in the table
around the blade).

--
Cheers,

John.