Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Once upon a BNC ...

There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy. The kit
of about 9 individual bits assembled with a solder iron and a spanner,
the choice of using 50ohm or 75ohm, different types to suit your cable
diameter. The warm feeling got when ya knew that the centre pin was
definitely soldered and none of the electrons would deteriorate on their
journey.

I've just been looking through Amazon and eBay, doing an RG59 75ohm job.

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That centre
conductor ain't secure.

What happened??

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy. The kit
of about 9 individual bits assembled with a solder iron and a spanner,
the choice of using 50ohm or 75ohm, different types to suit your cable
diameter. The warm feeling got when ya knew that the centre pin was
definitely soldered and none of the electrons would deteriorate on their
journey.

I've just been looking through Amazon and eBay, doing an RG59 75ohm job.

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That centre
conductor ain't secure.

For mass-produced/industrial work crimped connections are more
reliable than soldered. While you (and I maybe) can produce reliable
D-I-Y soldered connections, en-masse they are statistically less good
than crimped ones. I doubt there are very many D-I-Y BNC users now
and so the market simply isn't there for soldered ones.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:58:23 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy. The kit
of about 9 individual bits assembled with a solder iron and a spanner,
the choice of using 50ohm or 75ohm, different types to suit your cable
diameter. The warm feeling got when ya knew that the centre pin was
definitely soldered and none of the electrons would deteriorate on their
journey.

I've just been looking through Amazon and eBay, doing an RG59 75ohm job.

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That centre
conductor ain't secure.

What happened??

Wrong supplier? :-)

Farnell, RS, CPC, or http://www.whwestlake.co.uk/ etc. should have what
you require

Avpx
--
The place looked as though it had been visited by Gengiz Cohen
[footnote: hence the term "wholesale destruction"]. (Lords and Ladies)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 17:24, The Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:58:23 +0100, Adrian Caspersz

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That centre
conductor ain't secure.

What happened??

Wrong supplier? :-)

Farnell, RS, CPC, or http://www.whwestlake.co.uk/ etc. should have what
you require

Yup, wrong supplier chosen - though I do think the times have truly
changed, if these have dropped out of the "mainstream". I'm pretty sure
even Maplin would have stocked them.

https://cpc.farnell.com/amphenol/b11...ohm/dp/CN20183

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxi...ctors/1123227/

Looking through both RS and CPC, there ain't much choice as I remember.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 17:45, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxi...ctors/1123227/

Looking through both RS and CPC, there ain't much choice as I remember.

You video monitor is more likely to be connected HDMI these days rather
than 75 ohm bnc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 17:45:54 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

On 14/04/2021 17:24, The Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:58:23 +0100, Adrian Caspersz

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That centre
conductor ain't secure.

What happened??

Wrong supplier? :-)

Farnell, RS, CPC, or http://www.whwestlake.co.uk/ etc. should have what
you require

Yup, wrong supplier chosen - though I do think the times have truly
changed, if these have dropped out of the "mainstream". I'm pretty sure
even Maplin would have stocked them.

https://cpc.farnell.com/amphenol/b11...ohm/dp/CN20183

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxi...ctors/1123227/

Looking through both RS and CPC, there ain't much choice as I remember.

I don't like that type of crimp connector either but did manage buy a
batch of solder jobbies from eBay a while back.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 16:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy. The
kit of about 9 individual bits assembled with a solder iron and a
spanner, the choice of using 50ohm or 75ohm, different types to suit
your cable diameter. The warm feeling got when ya knew that the centre
pin was definitely soldered and none of the electrons would
deteriorate on their journey.

I've just been looking through Amazon and eBay, doing an RG59 75ohm job.

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That
centre conductor ain't secure.

Whenever you put your telly on you're watching signals that have
travelled through scores of crimped BNC connectors in studios and OB trucks.
These days , with uncompressed serial digital video running at 3 Gb/s.

In 37 years working in the industry, I've only ever known a couple to
fail in service. And probably less than 20 or so to be a 'duffer' when made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy.

"solder bucket BNC" still gets results from RS, Farnell etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 19:31:40 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

snip

In 37 years working in the industry, I've only ever known a couple to
fail in service. And probably less than 20 or so to be a 'duffer' when made.

I've sent plenty fail in use or when made but that could be down to
the wrong technique, poor tools or cheap components (or a mix of
each).

When I installed an Thin Ethernet LAL at one my jobs I used solder /
bolt up RG58 BNC connectors throughout and never had one of those fail
either. In contrast with the crimp RG58/9's I've tried though, I
never had one fail whilst being made.

And the bolt up seem so much neater, no strands of screen wire
sticking out and as a benefit, the solder / bolt up and re-useable.
;-)

Quite a few times I've 'nicked' a connector from one of my cable to
make another.

It seems wrong to try to make a crimp BNC, learn it's faulty when
tested or intermittent in use to just cut it off and throw (all that
engineering) away. ;-(

A mate offered me a handful of RG59 BNC's to make up some CCTV cables
and even though I have a reasonable crimping tool, the crimp
connectors being much cheaper and more readily available, I politely
declined his offer.

Mind you, I have benefited from bad crimps as he gave me what he
thought was bad CCTV camera that turned out to be just a bad (crimped)
connector. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 16:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy. The kit
of about 9 individual bits assembled with a solder iron and a spanner,
the choice of using 50ohm or 75ohm, different types to suit your cable
diameter. The warm feeling got when ya knew that the centre pin was
definitely soldered and none of the electrons would deteriorate on their
journey.

I've just been looking through Amazon and eBay, doing an RG59 75ohm job.

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That centre
conductor ain't secure.

What happened??

I could say you could have looked harder in your search :-)

This is one of the first hits in a search for a BNC 75 ohm connector

https://www.amazon.co.uk/crimping-20...dp/B08FH8RR4G/

Photo 2 of the centre pin mentions solder. I'm sure most centre pins
could be soldered, even if they were designed to be crimped.

YMMV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes RS have them silver plated if you like as well, Lots of bits in a likkle
bag and not cheap.
I never had much luck with bnc for anything more precise than video, the
locking part would get loose and some of them wobbled even when locked.
Scope probes seemed to be the worst. However then everyone went over to the
screw in types but of course then you had a big hassle if you needed to
change the lead. I don't think I know of a super reliable quick connect and
release socket system.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 21:11, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 19:31:40 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

snip

In 37 years working in the industry, I've only ever known a couple to
fail in service. And probably less than 20 or so to be a 'duffer' when made.

I've sent plenty fail in use or when made but that could be down to
the wrong technique, poor tools or cheap components (or a mix of
each).

40+ years ago the main problem where I worked was the different centre
pin diameter for 50 and 75 BNCs and both types were used in the same
workshop/lab. Sockets could become unreliable when previously used with
the "wrong" BNC mating half. Sods law said all the fly lead cables were
black and for some people any cable would do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 07:36:54 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 14/04/2021 21:11, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 19:31:40 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

snip

In 37 years working in the industry, I've only ever known a couple to
fail in service. And probably less than 20 or so to be a 'duffer' when made.

I've sent plenty fail in use or when made but that could be down to
the wrong technique, poor tools or cheap components (or a mix of
each).

40+ years ago the main problem where I worked was the different centre
pin diameter for 50 and 75 BNCs and both types were used in the same
workshop/lab. Sockets could become unreliable when previously used with
the "wrong" BNC mating half.

Stretching the 'split' socket I'm guessing?

Sods law said all the fly lead cables were
black and for some people any cable would do!

Quite, even when they were too short and caused network instabilities
(as I saw in person on a mates Co network).

The only time I managed to pull a solder / bolt up BNC connector off a
(RG58) cable was when trying to extract a cable from behind a very
heavy equipment cabinet and I had to pull *very* hard. Even after
that, I was able to recover the pin and the connector and re-unite
them on a new cable. ;-)

Maybe it's because I'm reasonably adept at soldering and mechanics
that with my extra glasses on and sufficient practice (knowing the
lengths of the different sections) I can make a 100% reliable /
predictable BNC connection where even if it seems to go perfectly, I
don't really trust crimps?

After 5+ years of fairly regular use and millions of movements, one of
the wires broke off the connector on the extruder stepper motor on my
3D printer the other day.

The extruder goes left and right ~200 mm (and up/down 150mm but
slower) and this cable came directly off the fine JST plug, over the
top frame of the printer and down to the controller and was completely
unsupported, meaning all the load generated by this constant left /
right movement was managed by the wire in the connector.

When replacing it, I noticed it was something I must have soldered up
*temporarily* and it had fractured on the wire just after the joint
(as you would expect). I have taped the replacement cable down to the
motor so there is no longer any strain on the joint itself. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy. The kit
of about 9 individual bits assembled with a solder iron and a spanner,
the choice of using 50ohm or 75ohm, different types to suit your cable
diameter. The warm feeling got when ya knew that the centre pin was
definitely soldered and none of the electrons would deteriorate on their
journey.

I've just been looking through Amazon and eBay, doing an RG59 75ohm job.

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That centre
conductor ain't secure.

What happened??

I doubt any of the plug in connectors inside your computer are soldered.
They will all be crimped.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 21:11, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 19:31:40 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

snip

In 37 years working in the industry, I've only ever known a couple to
fail in service. And probably less than 20 or so to be a 'duffer' when made.

I've sent plenty fail in use or when made but that could be down to
the wrong technique, poor tools or cheap components (or a mix of
each).

In the broadcasting industry every cable is bespoke, and hand made.
Pre-made crap and/or components from China etc is not permitted.

I worked on one project where the chief engineer insisted that return
loss was measured on every cable, and the parameter monitored for 3
minutes per cable to ensure stability !

He had a lot of time on his hands !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 11:17:04 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy. The kit
of about 9 individual bits assembled with a solder iron and a spanner,
the choice of using 50ohm or 75ohm, different types to suit your cable
diameter. The warm feeling got when ya knew that the centre pin was
definitely soldered and none of the electrons would deteriorate on their
journey.

I've just been looking through Amazon and eBay, doing an RG59 75ohm job.

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That centre
conductor ain't secure.

What happened??

I doubt any of the plug in connectors inside your computer are soldered.
They will all be crimped.

Yes, 'now', but that certainly wasn't always the way (and I'm talking
in general now) and do you think they are now 'always better' for
being crimped, or simply that they may be quicker for the manufacturer
to make?

I believe there are some instances were crimping is supposed to be
better than soldering but that isn't because of the actual connection
in most cases but the environment (heat and / or movement of a cable
near a soldered connection etc).

It's also possible that the crimping process is easier to mechanise
but again, that's nothing to do with the final quality of the solution
(when both are done optimally).

As an aside, when I was racing RC cars, some drivers would *solder*
the battery wires into (and out of) their cars because *any* connector
(itself soldered or crimped) would potentially add both resistance and
unreliability. I did solder the speed controller directly to the motor
but used (soldered) 30A Anderson Powerpole connectors on the battery
(with a captive 'O' ring keeping the two together). Never ever had any
of them fail in use.

However, the whole soldering (or not) issue doesn't really cover
things where the density means that it's not easy (and so reliable) to
solder by hand, and especially where re high density IDC (rather than
crimp) connections are concerned.

You are less likely to find a bad connection where the crimp has been
made onto the insulation than with a connection that was designed to
cut through it.

Maybe if I was making up BNC connectors all day and had access to the
best components and tools available I'd use crimped ... but I think
I'd be looking hard for another job (having had to make 'batches' of
cables over my career) ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 April 2021 at 11:21:03 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy. The kit
of about 9 individual bits assembled with a solder iron and a spanner,
the choice of using 50ohm or 75ohm, different types to suit your cable
diameter. The warm feeling got when ya knew that the centre pin was
definitely soldered and none of the electrons would deteriorate on their
journey.

I've just been looking through Amazon and eBay, doing an RG59 75ohm job.

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That centre
conductor ain't secure.

What happened??

I doubt any of the plug in connectors inside your computer are soldered.
They will all be crimped.

I think they are called IDC, not soldered and not really crimpted, it amazes me that this type
of connector is so realible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:03:25 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 14/04/2021 21:11, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 19:31:40 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

snip

In 37 years working in the industry, I've only ever known a couple to
fail in service. And probably less than 20 or so to be a 'duffer' when made.

I've sent plenty fail in use or when made but that could be down to
the wrong technique, poor tools or cheap components (or a mix of
each).

In the broadcasting industry every cable is bespoke, and hand made.

Ok.

Pre-made crap and/or components from China etc is not permitted.

That might explain the good reliability point then. ;-)

I worked on one project where the chief engineer insisted that return
loss was measured on every cable, and the parameter monitored for 3
minutes per cable to ensure stability !

;-)

He had a lot of time on his hands !

Well, maybe, or a reputation to up hold?

There are many jobs I have turned down because it was highly likely
that I wasn't going to be able to do it to my own (fairly high)
standard and / or would be able to do it 'comfortably' and up to a
reasonable level of general acceptance by those who know.

IDC (within reason) how long it takes to do it right, right is the
only way I want to do it. [1]

If I need to solder something up and want to do so in a way where it's
right first time, is safe and reliable and I can't find my 'soldering'
glasses or the right solder, I'll not do it till I have.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I'm sure I'm not the only person to have soldered up a multipin
connector (DB25 or worse, a sub D / HD15 VGA connector), had 100%
perfect soldered and heat shrinked joints, only to find I hadn't
fitted the one piece metal shell on first. Like a threadable 13A mains
plug top lid but many times worse. ;-(

So, it's just a matter of taking a deep breath, cutting the plug off,
cleaning up the connectors (threading the shroud on) and starting
again whilst aiming for the same standard. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I doubt any of the plug in connectors inside your computer are soldered.
They will all be crimped.

Yes, 'now', but that certainly wasn't always the way (and I'm talking
in general now) and do you think they are now 'always better' for
being crimped, or simply that they may be quicker for the manufacturer
to make?

How far back to you want to go? And yes, in general a properly made crimp
on a connector is better than a soldered joint to the terminals. Heating
the cable through soldering stresses the end of the cable.

I believe there are some instances were crimping is supposed to be
better than soldering but that isn't because of the actual connection
in most cases but the environment (heat and / or movement of a cable
near a soldered connection etc).

It's also possible that the crimping process is easier to mechanise
but again, that's nothing to do with the final quality of the solution
(when both are done optimally).

As an aside, when I was racing RC cars, some drivers would *solder*
the battery wires into (and out of) their cars because *any* connector
(itself soldered or crimped) would potentially add both resistance and
unreliability. I did solder the speed controller directly to the motor
but used (soldered) 30A Anderson Powerpole connectors on the battery
(with a captive 'O' ring keeping the two together). Never ever had any
of them fail in use.

You'll note I'm talking about a plug in connector. Like the BNC in
question. Not the difference between something soldered direct.

However, the whole soldering (or not) issue doesn't really cover
things where the density means that it's not easy (and so reliable) to
solder by hand, and especially where re high density IDC (rather than
crimp) connections are concerned.

You are less likely to find a bad connection where the crimp has been
made onto the insulation than with a connection that was designed to
cut through it.

Maybe if I was making up BNC connectors all day and had access to the
best components and tools available I'd use crimped ... but I think
I'd be looking hard for another job (having had to make 'batches' of
cables over my career) ... ;-)

BNC crimp tools, being mass produced, are relatively cheap for a top
quality one. Unlike more specialised crimp tools which can be very
expesive.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 14:28:40 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I doubt any of the plug in connectors inside your computer are soldered.
They will all be crimped.

Yes, 'now', but that certainly wasn't always the way (and I'm talking
in general now) and do you think they are now 'always better' for
being crimped, or simply that they may be quicker for the manufacturer
to make?

How far back to you want to go?

Well, since we have been soldering wires to things. ;-)

And yes, in general a properly made crimp
on a connector is better than a soldered joint to the terminals.

How would you determine that though? Under what conditions that are
possibly in the minority?

Heating
the cable through soldering stresses the end of the cable.

Maybe, but would that be an issue in say my radio or TV?

snip

You'll note I'm talking about a plug in connector. Like the BNC in
question. Not the difference between something soldered direct.

Fair enough ... I was talking about both but outside of anything that
doesn't have anything in the way of cable support after the joint, I'm
not sure it would make any difference?

eg. Every connection that could be soldered (the only option at the
time) on my mobile disco *was* soldered and I never had any issues
from it (Inc 1/4" jack plugs that could also use screw terminals).
This was over ~7 years and nearly every weekend? Mobile, fitted
unfitted, packed / unpacked, carried up and down stairs and running
hot / cold regularly. I'm not sure how much 'better' crimped
connectors would have been . ;-)

However, the whole soldering (or not) issue doesn't really cover
things where the density means that it's not easy (and so reliable) to
solder by hand, and especially where re high density IDC (rather than
crimp) connections are concerned.

You are less likely to find a bad connection where the crimp has been
made onto the insulation than with a connection that was designed to
cut through it.

Maybe if I was making up BNC connectors all day and had access to the
best components and tools available I'd use crimped ... but I think
I'd be looking hard for another job (having had to make 'batches' of
cables over my career) ... ;-)

BNC crimp tools, being mass produced, are relatively cheap for a top
quality one. Unlike more specialised crimp tools which can be very
expesive.

I have a couple of h/d crimping pliers (for car battery terminals and
bigger) but I'm yet to use them, typically preferring to solder even
connectors of that size.

I do have several leads to make up to setup some portable batteries to
go with an electric outboard. Lug onto the battery terminals into a
resetable fuse and then Anderson connectors (that I think are
crimpable). I may still solder the Andersons as I can re-use them and
may well 'also' solder the crimps to ensure a good connection and stop
water getting in. Cynic or what. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
And yes, in general a properly made crimp
on a connector is better than a soldered joint to the terminals.

How would you determine that though? Under what conditions that are
possibly in the minority?

Because you'll rarely if ever see a connector which has soldered
terminals. In mass production either would be easy, given PCBs are mass
production soldered.

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 18:21:13 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
And yes, in general a properly made crimp
on a connector is better than a soldered joint to the terminals.

How would you determine that though? Under what conditions that are
possibly in the minority?

Because you'll rarely if ever see a connector which has soldered
terminals.

Well no, other than those that were designed (only) to be soldered you
mean? I'm thinking say XLRs, 3.5mm, 1/4" Jacks, to name but three
etc? I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I've never seen one
personally?

And how would you make up a bespoke DB25 to DB25 without soldering?

'Of course' those connectors that have been designed to be crimped
from the outset, since crimped terminals became common ... are
crimped, especially flying plugs with multipole connectors generally
used inside equipment (like loom to PCB connectors).

In mass production either would be easy, given PCBs are mass
production soldered.

Only the components, I think you will find most of the cables (to
PCB's / other components like IEC sockets) are still inserted /
soldered by hand as a follow up process.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
T i m wrote:
And yes, in general a properly made crimp
on a connector is better than a soldered joint to the terminals.

How would you determine that though? Under what conditions that are
possibly in the minority?

Because you'll rarely if ever see a connector which has soldered
terminals. In mass production either would be easy, given PCBs are mass
production soldered.

What works for PCBs with mass production doesn’t work for cable ends.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 04:46:40 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy. The kit
of about 9 individual bits assembled with a solder iron and a spanner,
the choice of using 50ohm or 75ohm, different types to suit your cable
diameter. The warm feeling got when ya knew that the centre pin was
definitely soldered and none of the electrons would deteriorate on their
journey.

I've just been looking through Amazon and eBay, doing an RG59 75ohm job.

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That centre
conductor ain't secure.

What happened??

I doubt any of the plug in connectors inside your computer are soldered.
They will all be crimped.

I think they are called IDC, not soldered and not really crimpted, it amazes me that this type
of connector is so realible.

They are only reliable if not subjected to movement, same for soldered
connectors. Some IDC connectors have a means of steadying the cable. The
'knife' making contact with the wire is a gas tight joint. There will be
an element of spring to the knife.

This article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insula...ment_connector
claims the connector blade cold-welds to the conductor.

A cable that can withstand vibration or movement will generally be
multi-stranded. Applying solder to a multi-stranded wire will
effectively turn it into a single strand for a short distance through
wicking of the solder along the wire and so fragile to any movement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

Not by enough to matter with a BNC or even a DB25 etc.

and so fragile to any movement.

Not when the connector also has a cable grip and most do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 13:41:18 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the auto-contradicting trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
A cable that can withstand vibration or movement will generally be
multi-stranded. Applying solder to a multi-stranded wire will
effectively turn it into a single strand for a short distance through
wicking of the solder along the wire and so fragile to any movement.

Yes - it needs a decent cord grip some way from the soldered joint. Making
the connecter larger than needed.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 14/04/2021 17:45, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxi...ctors/1123227/
Looking through both RS and CPC, there ain't much choice as I
remember.

You video monitor is more likely to be connected HDMI these days rather
than 75 ohm bnc.

I've heard that before - but no matter how much I keep checking my
video monitor, it still has its original BNC connection.
--
OT