Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is AIOE news server working for anyone?

Stopped working for me at just before 18.00 hrs 13th April 2021.....
(Thunderbird checks for new posts at minute intervals....)

I have now switched to Eternal September.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 12:58, SH wrote:
Stopped working for me at just before 18.00 hrs 13th April 2021.....
(Thunderbird checks for new posts at minute intervals....)

I have now switched to Eternal September.....

It had a hissy fit over the weekend for me too. Ok now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
SH wrote:
Stopped working for me at just before 18.00 hrs 13th April 2021.....
(Thunderbird checks for new posts at minute intervals....)

I have now switched to Eternal September.....

I use both here. If one isn't working, the other one likely is. And my
Newsreader will look for duplication, and not download any.

--
*Venison for dinner again? Oh deer!*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 13:16, Andrew wrote:
On 14/04/2021 12:58, SH wrote:
Stopped working for me at just before 18.00 hrs 13th April 2021.....
(Thunderbird checks for new posts at minute intervals....)

I have now switched to Eternal September.....

It had a hissy fit over the weekend for me too. Ok now.

not for me still..... the newsgroup lists are not synchronising...

Are you using newsfeed.aioe.org or news.aioe.org or nntp.aioe.org?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 12:58, SH wrote:
Stopped working for me at just before 18.00 hrs 13th April 2021.....
(Thunderbird checks for new posts at minute intervals....)

I have now switched to Eternal September.....

It had a hissy fit over the weekend for me too. Ok now.

not for me still..... the newsgroup lists are not synchronising...

Are you using newsfeed.aioe.org or news.aioe.org or nntp.aioe.org?

I get connection to server nntp.aioe.org timed out.

I have done the ping test in CMD prompt and I get

C:\Windows\system32ping nntp.aioe.org

Pinging nntp.aioe.org [46.165.242.75] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 46.165.242.75:

C:\Windows\system32
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SH wrote:

Stopped working for me at just before 18.00 hrs 13th April 2021.....

newest message on aioe for me at 13:05 today

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SH wrote:

On 14/04/2021 13:31, Andrew wrote:

Are you using newsfeed.aioe.org or news.aioe.org or nntp.aioe.org?

using nntp.aioe.org
port 563 here

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 14:50, Andy Burns wrote:
SH wrote:

On 14/04/2021 13:31, Andrew wrote:

Are you using newsfeed.aioe.org or news.aioe.org or nntp.aioe.org?

using nntp.aioe.org
port 563 here

the mystery deepens.....

the AIOE websites are not responding either....

www.aioe.org

results in "Hmmm cant reach this page"

www.aioe.org took too long to respond.....

Is the website working for anyone else?

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SH wrote:

www.aioe.org took too long to respond.....
Is the website working for anyone else?

yep.

routing issue with your isp? I'm on plusnet

temporary blacklisted by aioe for overuse?

using a VPN by accident?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 15:02, Andy Burns wrote:
SH wrote:

www.aioe.org took too long to respond.....
Is the website working for anyone else?

yep.

routing issue with your isp? I'm on plusnet

temporary blacklisted by aioe for overuse?

using a VPN by accident?

I am on symmetric 500 Mbit/s fibre to the home on vodafone gigafast.....

Only my moby uses a VPN back to mu own VPN server.

Ping works though, the page doesn't load.

I use AIOE for reading news and don't write replies very often so
certainly not overuse.

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SH wrote:

www.aioe.org took too long to respond.....
Is the website working for anyone else?

yep.

routing issue with your isp? I'm on plusnet

temporary blacklisted by aioe for overuse?

using a VPN by accident?

I am on symmetric 500 Mbit/s fibre to the home on vodafone gigafast.....

Only my moby uses a VPN back to mu own VPN server.

Ping works though, the page doesn't load.

I use AIOE for reading news and don't write replies very often so
certainly not overuse.

S.

just done a tracert....

C:\Windows\system32tracert www.aioe.org

Tracing route to www.aioe.org [46.165.242.91]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms (my static ip)
3 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms 63.130.104.198
4 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms ae11-100-xcr1.hex.cw.net [195.89.96.1]
5 8 ms 12 ms 9 ms ldn-b2-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.61.190]
6 9 ms 8 ms 9 ms ldn-bb1-link.ip.twelve99.net
[62.115.122.188]
7 23 ms 23 ms 22 ms prs-bb1-link.ip.twelve99.net
[62.115.135.25]
8 23 ms 23 ms 22 ms ffm-bb1-link.ip.twelve99.net
[62.115.123.12]
9 24 ms 22 ms 22 ms ffm-b1-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.125.75]
10 22 ms 25 ms 22 ms
leaseweb-ic150711-ffm-b1.ip.twelve99-cust.net [195.12.255.250]
11 23 ms 22 ms 22 ms po-1.ce04.fra-10.de.leaseweb.net
[217.20.127.13]
12 23 ms 23 ms 22 ms gioia.aioe.org [46.165.242.91]

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\system32

So there is a clear path with no long delays anywhere......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also done a set of nslookups with different DNS'es like googles and
cloudflares as well as my own DNS....

They all return the same IP for news.aioe.org (in case their IP addy had
changed and the DNSes around world needed to update)

C:\Windows\system32nslookup news.aioe.org
Server: raspberrypi.lan
Address: 192.168.0.29

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: news.aioe.org
Address: 46.165.242.91

C:\Windows\system32nslookup news.aioe.org 8.8.8.8
Server: dns.google
Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: news.aioe.org
Address: 46.165.242.91

C:\Windows\system32nslookup news.aioe.org 8.8.4.4
Server: dns.google
Address: 8.8.4.4

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: news.aioe.org
Address: 46.165.242.91

C:\Windows\system32nslookup news.aioe.org 1.1.1.1
Server: one.one.one.one
Address: 1.1.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: news.aioe.org
Address: 46.165.242.91

C:\Windows\system32nslookup news.aioe.org 1.0.0.1
Server: one.one.one.one
Address: 1.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: news.aioe.org
Address: 46.165.242.91

C:\Windows\system32
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 16:25, SH wrote:
Also done a set of nslookups with different DNS'es like googles and
cloudflares as well as my own DNS....

They all return the same IP for news.aioe.org (in case their IP addy had
changed and the DNSes around world needed to update)

C:\Windows\system32nslookup news.aioe.org
Server:Â* raspberrypi.lan
Address:Â* 192.168.0.29

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:Â*Â*Â* news.aioe.org
Address:Â* 46.165.242.91

C:\Windows\system32nslookup news.aioe.org 8.8.8.8
Server:Â* dns.google
Address:Â* 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:Â*Â*Â* news.aioe.org
Address:Â* 46.165.242.91

C:\Windows\system32nslookup news.aioe.org 8.8.4.4
Server:Â* dns.google
Address:Â* 8.8.4.4

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:Â*Â*Â* news.aioe.org
Address:Â* 46.165.242.91

C:\Windows\system32nslookup news.aioe.org 1.1.1.1
Server:Â* one.one.one.one
Address:Â* 1.1.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:Â*Â*Â* news.aioe.org
Address:Â* 46.165.242.91

C:\Windows\system32nslookup news.aioe.org 1.0.0.1
Server:Â* one.one.one.one
Address:Â* 1.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:Â*Â*Â* news.aioe.org
Address:Â* 46.165.242.91

C:\Windows\system32

and before anyone asks, I've restarted my DNS server too :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I found my answer:

My static IP has been blocked temporarily due to

Connection time exceeded 90000 seconds in 86400 seconds

How is that even possible to have a connection time greater than 86400
seconds?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well its my back up so if you see this then yes, but be aware too many posts
in a certain time tends to blacklist you for some time.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"SH" wrote in message ...
Stopped working for me at just before 18.00 hrs 13th April 2021.....
(Thunderbird checks for new posts at minute intervals....)

I have now switched to Eternal September.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 17:00, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well its my back up so if you see this then yes, but be aware too many posts
in a certain time tends to blacklist you for some time.
Brian

Ironically, I set up a Win 10 virtual machine and also a VPN.

I was then able to go to www.aioe.org's website.

There is a list of "banned IP's and my static IP was listed in there :-(

The "ban" expires in about 1 hr 15 mins so I should be back on AIOE
before too long.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 12:58, SH wrote:
Stopped working for me at just before 18.00 hrs 13th April 2021.....
(Thunderbird checks for new posts at minute intervals....)

I have now switched to Eternal September.....

It had a hissy fit over the weekend for me too. Ok now.

not for me still..... the newsgroup lists are not synchronising...

Are you using newsfeed.aioe.org or news.aioe.org or nntp.aioe.org?

The last of those. I didn't notice it being down yesterday either.

I did have a glitch about a month ago much like describe though.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

using nntp.aioe.org
port 563 here

the mystery deepens.....

the AIOE websites are not responding either....

www.aioe.org

results in "Hmmm cant reach this page"

www.aioe.org took too long to respond.....

Is the website working for anyone else?

Yes. The symptoms you describe are exactly like what I had sometime last
month. It lasted long enough (a few days) for me to have set up and
configured an alternative newsfeed but then just as mysteriously started
working again.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

using nntp.aioe.org
port 563 here

the mystery deepens.....

the AIOE websites are not responding either....

www.aioe.org

results in "Hmmm cant reach this page"

www.aioe.org took too long to respond.....

Is the website working for anyone else?

Yes. The symptoms you describe are exactly like what I had sometime last
month. It lasted long enough (a few days) for me to have set up and
configured an alternative newsfeed but then just as mysteriously started
working again.

Well I am now back on AIOE.....

turns out my static IP was blacklisted for 24 hours....

Once you're black listed you can't check the IP blacklist so I ended up
using a virtual machine and VPN'ed out to a differewnt country.

The I was able to browse the website and found the entry for my static
IP in the IP blacklist below:

Connection time exceeded 90000 seconds in 86400 seconds 14/04/2021
17:14:47 1 hour, 28 minutes, 48 seconds

SO I assume I broke the speed of light in being able to be connected in
excess of 90000 seconds in a time period of 86400 seconds.

(which is 25 hours connected over a 24 hours period)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SH wrote:
Well I found my answer:

My static IP has been blocked temporarily due to

Connection time exceeded 90000 seconds in 86400 seconds

How is that even possible to have a connection time greater than 86400
seconds?

You already posted the clue in your above posts.

You've set up your news reader to check for new news
articles, at *way too high a frequency*. Don't
do that!

They hate it when you do that.

Set the check for new news articles, once every
15 minutes (900 seconds).

Reduce the Thunderbird max_connections, from
8 to 2 or even 1.

Thunderbird is adjustable, and with no trouble
at all, you can stay within the TOS limits of the
service.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 21:02, Paul wrote:
SH wrote:
Well I found my answer:

My static IP has been blocked temporarily due to

Connection time exceeded 90000 seconds in 86400 seconds

How is that even possible to have a connection time greater than 86400
seconds?

You already posted the clue in your above posts.

You've set up your news reader to check for new news
articles, at *way too high a frequency*. Don't
do that!

They hate it when you do that.

Set the check for new news articles, once every
15 minutes (900 seconds).

Reduce the Thunderbird max_connections, from
8 to 2 or even 1.

Thunderbird is adjustable, and with no trouble
at all, you can stay within the TOS limits of the
service.

Â* Paul

Well I used to be on Virginmedia and they had their "own" news server
(which in reality was provided by Astraweb or Solarwinds over a VM proxy
IIRC).

Checking every minute was not a problem for VM.

I then switch from VM to Vodafone fibre to lower my bills AND get higher
speeds both ways.

The VM news server is not accessible from Vodafone and Vodafone do not
provide any news server service at all.

So thats how I ended up with AIOE (and now Eternal September too)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 12:58, SH wrote:
Stopped working for me at just before 18.00 hrs 13th April 2021.....
(Thunderbird checks for new posts at minute intervals....)

I have now switched to Eternal September.....

I'm using nntp.aioe.org on Port 119 - no problems so far.
John M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Apr 2021 at 12:58:08 BST, "SH" wrote:

Stopped working for me at just before 18.00 hrs 13th April 2021.....
(Thunderbird checks for new posts at minute intervals....)

I have now switched to Eternal September.....

It was for a couple of days last week - switched to Eternal September for that
time.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SH wrote:
Well I found my answer:

My static IP has been blocked temporarily due to

Connection time exceeded 90000 seconds in 86400 seconds

How is that even possible to have a connection time greater than 86400
seconds?

This might be a different thing, but in case it's useful:

Occasionally I find that aioe seem to have decided to renumber their
articles, and so my news software ends up re downloading a great many
old articles, sometimes going back months. This then takes me over
some limit and I have to stop news fetching for a few days until I get
off their list. It hasn't happened to me recently, however.

At other times it takes a dislike to something I am posting (as well
they might, you say; but I think it's usually somthing like too wide
crossposting due to a followup, which I hadnt trimmed) and refuses
it; but then naturally at my next connect it is attempted again, so
again at some point I get blocked again for a few days. Then if I want
to actually post my followups I have to reduce the crossposts *and*
update the datestamps; otherwise they are "too old" and get blocked.

#Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SH wrote:

On 14/04/2021 13:31, Andrew wrote:

Are you using newsfeed.aioe.org or news.aioe.org or nntp.aioe.org?

using nntp.aioe.org
port 563 here

I just let Tbird do the necessary. What is the difference
between 119 and 563 ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

I just let Tbird do the necessary. What is the difference
between 119 and 563 ?

encryption, but I think the only reason I enabled it was one time when
port 119 was failing and 563 was working.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

using nntp.aioe.org
port 563 here

I just let Tbird do the necessary. What is the difference
between 119 and 563 ?

one is a plain text port and the other is encrypted SSL/TLS port I believe?