Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT documents

I got car tax reminder today and noticed:

(For NI) A certificate of Insurance or cover note is needed
[downloaded copies are acceptable, photocopies are not]

How would anyone be able to distinguish between a printed download and a
photocopy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2021 14:43, alan_m wrote:

I got car tax reminder today and noticed:

(For NI) A certificate of Insurance or cover note is needed
[downloaded copies are acceptable, photocopies are not]

How would anyone be able to distinguish between a printed download and a
photocopy?

In the UK, we have MoTinfo and AskMID websites. So anyone can go onto
these to confirm status.

I would also imagine insurnace companies upload certificate PDFs for
viewing by police et al. to confirm who is actually covered to drive as
wella s the vehcile details etc.

Photocopies will not have corresponding PDFs though?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2021 15:31, SH wrote:
On 13/04/2021 14:43, alan_m wrote:

I got car tax reminder today and noticed:

(For NI) A certificate of Insurance or cover note is needed
[downloaded copies are acceptable, photocopies are not]

How would anyone be able to distinguish between a printed download and
a photocopy?

In the UK, we have MoTinfo and AskMID websites. So anyone can go onto
these to confirm status.

I would also imagine insurnace companies upload certificate PDFs for
viewing by police et al. to confirm who is actually covered to drive as
wella s the vehcile details etc.

Photocopies will not have corresponding PDFs though?

This is nothing to do with the Police - just the purchase of vehicle tax.

This seems to be for Northern Ireland only and when buying vehicle tax
at a Post Office

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2021 15:36, alan_m wrote:
On 13/04/2021 15:31, SH wrote:
On 13/04/2021 14:43, alan_m wrote:

I got car tax reminder today and noticed:

(For NI) A certificate of Insurance or cover note is needed
[downloaded copies are acceptable, photocopies are not]

How would anyone be able to distinguish between a printed download
and a photocopy?

In the UK, we have MoTinfo and AskMID websites. So anyone can go onto
these to confirm status.

I would also imagine insurnace companies upload certificate PDFs for
viewing by police et al. to confirm who is actually covered to drive
as wella s the vehcile details etc.

Photocopies will not have corresponding PDFs though?

This is nothing to do with the Police - just the purchase of vehicle tax.

This seems to be for Northern Ireland only and when buying vehicle tax
at a Post Office

In PDF's you can embed a digital "watermark"....

You can't photocopy digital watermarks....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Perhaps they mean one that was produced by the text of a document being
printed against the spotty blotchyness often evident on photocopied
documents implying no access to the original.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message

I got car tax reminder today and noticed:

(For NI) A certificate of Insurance or cover note is needed
[downloaded copies are acceptable, photocopies are not]

How would anyone be able to distinguish between a printed download and a
photocopy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2021 02:43 pm, alan_m wrote:

I got car tax reminder today and noticed:

(For NI) A certificate of Insurance or cover note is needed
[downloaded copies are acceptable, photocopies are not]

How would anyone be able to distinguish between a printed download and a
photocopy?

shrug?

The date?

I thought that the authorities nowadays know automatically whether a
vehicle is insured?

Of course, its use might be covered by someone else's insurance, which
might need to be proven by production of a certificate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2021 15:44, SH wrote:

In PDF's you can embed a digital "watermark"....

So when presenting a paper copy of a PDF at NI post office how are the
counter staff going to read the digital watermark?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2021 16:47, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Perhaps they mean one that was produced by the text of a document being
printed against the spotty blotchyness often evident on photocopied
documents implying no access to the original.

You obviously did not see some of the output from my laser printer
before it had some consumer replaceable parts, and a clean

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2021 17:20, JNugent wrote:
On 13/04/2021 02:43 pm, alan_m wrote:

I got car tax reminder today and noticed:

(For NI) A certificate of Insurance or cover note is needed
[downloaded copies are acceptable, photocopies are not]

How would anyone be able to distinguish between a printed download and
a photocopy?

shrug?

The date?

I thought that the authorities nowadays know automatically whether a
vehicle is insured?

It's only NI - not the rest of the UK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

I got car tax reminder today and noticed:

(For NI) A certificate of Insurance or cover note is needed
[downloaded copies are acceptable, photocopies are not]

How would anyone be able to distinguish between a printed download and a
photocopy?

Fairly easy, I'd say. Downloaded PDF etc gives far sharper text printing
than a scan. But both are equally easy to alter/forge.

--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Saddam's Documents Cliff Metalworking 0 January 23rd 06 11:12 AM
[OT] Saddam's Documents Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 6 January 19th 06 10:26 AM
Scanning Documents for file. Mick UK diy 7 August 23rd 05 02:08 AM
Did you sign WAMU documents with "ERRORS" [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 22nd 05 12:50 AM
Did you sign WAMU documents with "ERRORS" [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 22nd 05 12:48 AM