Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default News Reader recommendation - Attn Brian Gaff

Often see Brian commenting on people answering very old messages. I realise
my reader doesn't show a date.

What reader should I consider trying. I only use the D-I-Y group.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

my reader doesn't show a date.

I've never used Xnews, but screenshots show it with a date column, e.g.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140706070232/http://xnews.newsguy.com/xnews2.png

You might need to tweak your .ini file

https://web.archive.org/web/20140824091125/http://xnews.newsguy.com/manual.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2021 09:45, JohnP wrote:
Often see Brian commenting on people answering very old messages. I realise
my reader doesn't show a date.

What reader should I consider trying. I only use the D-I-Y group.

What newsreader are you using? Date is usually shown on the thread
summary Subject Author Date line in all the ones I have ever used

Thunderbird is as a good as any and you can customise kill files to make
it even better by culling some of the known troll contributions.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote in
:

From: Martin Brown
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: News Reader recommendation - Attn Brian Gaff
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 09:53:59 +0100

On 13/04/2021 09:45, JohnP wrote:
Often see Brian commenting on people answering very old messages. I
realise my reader doesn't show a date.

What reader should I consider trying. I only use the D-I-Y group.

What newsreader are you using? Date is usually shown on the thread
summary Subject Author Date line in all the ones I have ever used

Thunderbird is as a good as any and you can customise kill files to
make it even better by culling some of the known troll contributions.

Ah! Turned on "All Headers"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think my comments refer to the terrible web based forum interface used by
Home Owners club to basically hi jack this group for their use without in
fact adhering to the proper use of quoting either top or bottom which always
has the date of the original message in it.
I use a very old program which has been modified to work in later versions
of Windows, but I'm told by Thunderbird users that they are quite happy with
that once set up to their likings.
I obviously use everything by keyboard shortcuts, have no mouse or screen
on the computer, so my usage is totally different to others.

I'll not go into details. Its a great pity that Tbird cannot have its keys
mapped to the standard Microsoft ones used since Outlook Express and live
mail. From my point of view it would slow me down greatly since its muscle
memory you are fighting against, and at over 70 it is harder to learn new
tricks!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
Often see Brian commenting on people answering very old messages. I
realise
my reader doesn't show a date.

What reader should I consider trying. I only use the D-I-Y group.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is that reader accessible with screenreaders, since very few are including
the look alike for outlook express and the new and very lame stuff in the
windows 10 domain.
Of course I'm thinking that when I upgrade to windows 10 I'll get a machine
capable of running xp within windows 10!

Ping Brian Gaff Brian Reay[_6_] UK diy 1 October 29th 18 08:15 PM
Insulation - effects on my gaff Tim Watts[_3_] UK diy 10 December 6th 16 10:43 PM
Any newsgroup reader recommendation(s), please? jim UK diy 44 April 16th 12 10:58 AM
IT News - Tech News - Search Engine News - Updates News Page O Rama Home Repair 1 April 23rd 06 04:13 PM