Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damp inside wall on Victorian end of terrace house

We have an end of terrace Victorian house that has a sloping service alley up the right hand side. Our ground floor lounge has damp issues on the wall adjoining the alley. The issue seems to be the alley slopes from the road and bu the back of the lounge the alley surface is about 1500mm above the floor level of the lounge. What would be a good solution to stop the damp? Does the alley need to be dug down to the floor level of the lounge? Would damp proofing with a sheet DPM on the inside wall of the lounge then correct the issue? I am advised that stopping the damp on the inside would only cause the damp to go around the DPM layer and come in somewhere else? Please advise. Regards Mike BD

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-3109830-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2021 16:32, Mike BD wrote:
We have an end of terrace Victorian house that has a sloping service
alley up the right hand side. Our ground floor lounge has damp issues on
the wall adjoining the alley. The issue seems to be the alley slopes
from the road and bu the back of the lounge the alley surface is about
1500mm above the floor level of the lounge. What would be a good
solution to stop the damp? Does the alley need to be dug down to the
floor level of the lounge? Would damp proofing with a sheet DPM on the
inside wall of the lounge then correct the issue? I am advised that
stopping the damp on the inside would only cause the damp to go around
the DPM layer and come in somewhere else? Please advise. Regards Mike BD

I certainly agree that you should block the damp at the outside, not the
inside!