Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Asbestos Cement Watertank

Hi,
I am in the middle of sorting out our loft space at the moment but now have the issue of a disused watertank. We had a combi boiler installed about 2yrs ago which meant our watertank in the loft has been sitting there with a heavy duty plastic bag around it ever since - it has been confirmed asbestos cement already (1970's property - with label on tank).

I would like to know if this is something I could tackle myself? Given my intended approach. - Full PPE - suit, mask and rubber gloves, quite a few very large heavy duty bags to put the tank in and then just wet the whole tank before breaking it down inside several bags. Our local Recycling centre as already confirmed this is something they can take as they have the facility for householders to take their own asbestos (atleast double bagged) to their site.

Obviously I have full respect of the material I am dealing with which is why I'm not just charging in there. Although I feel confident with my method I have minimal risk.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
David

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...k-3109620-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 April 2021 at 15:15:07 UTC+1, David Reid wrote:
[...]

I disposed of an old asbestos garage roof myself, full PPE face, masks, goggles and gloves. It is reasonably safe to handle and like you our LA had a site where householders could dispose of the material as long as it was double bagged and sealed. The thing to avoid is breaking it as this can release fine particles which are hard to confine so if you can get it down in one piece that is your safest option. We struggled to avoid breakages due to the poor state of the roof despite cutting through the nails holding the panels several broke as the panels were lifted. We did not clear the ground by hosing as the next week the groundworks contractors arrived and broke up the base and part of the drive and removed it.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2021 10:23, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I disposed of an old asbestos garage roof myself, full PPE face,
masks, goggles and gloves. It is reasonably safe to handle

especially if wetted. It is the dust in the lungs that is the danger
Also whitre asbestos is not nearly the problem that blue asbestos is.

and like
you our LA had a site where householders could dispose of the
material as long as it was double bagged and sealed.

Consider cutting it up inside transparerant bags as well

? The thing to
avoid is breaking it as this can release fine particles which are
hard to confine so if you can get it down in one piece that is your
safest option.

Not necessarily. In conjunction with air filtration on a HEP equipped
vacuum, and bagging as much as possible before breaking up, it may be
easier to split it in situ with far less chance of dust escaping.

We struggled to avoid breakages due to the poor state
of the roof

exactly. If its gonna break, make sure it does it in a sealed bag if
possible

despite cutting through the nails holding the panels
several broke as the panels were lifted. We did not clear the ground
by hosing as the next week the groundworks contractors arrived and
broke up the base and part of the drive and removed it.

Richard

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/04/2021 10:23, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I disposed of an old asbestos garage roof myself, full PPE face,
masks, goggles and gloves. It is reasonably safe to handle

especially if wetted. It is the dust in the lungs that is the danger
Also whitre asbestos is not nearly the problem that blue asbestos is.

Bear in mind that Mesothelioma takes around 25 years to develop. That's
probably longer than the life expectancy of most people on this
newsgroup. This is a job best done by older folk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Our local council has made it a bit more difficult, although still
possible. We used to be able to double bag it and take it to almost any
tip, where they had containers specifically for it. Similarly for
plasterboard. Now for either, there is only one site that accepts it and
that is not a normal tip, it is for the council's own wagons. You now
have to make an appointment and cannot go on site unless you are wearing
safety boots, hi-viz jacket and hard-hat. And you can only go during
"office" hours, so have to take time off work to take it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Â*We struggled to avoid breakages due to the poor state
of the roof

exactly. If its gonna break, make sure it does it in a sealed bag if
possible

despite cutting through the nails holding the panels
several broke as the panels were lifted. We did not clear the ground
by hosing as the next week the groundworks contractors arrived and
broke up the base and part of the drive and removed it.

Richard

+1 to all that. I wouldn't go further than a rubber-sealed facemask with
disposable cartridge filters, I'd say HEPA and vacuum is OTT. Disposable
"SOCO" type suit. Main precaution is to try to contain it all within
heavy gauge polythene sheeting (rubble sack type).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
On 06/04/2021 10:23, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I disposed of an old asbestos garage roof myself, full PPE face,
masks, goggles and gloves. It is reasonably safe to handle

especially if wetted. It is the dust in the lungs that is the danger
Also whitre asbestos is not nearly the problem that blue asbestos is.

Bear in mind that Mesothelioma takes around 25 years to develop. That's
probably longer than the life expectancy of most people on this
newsgroup. This is a job best done by older folk.

In the late 1960s, I used asbestos cement sheeting as the internal covering
on my porch. I cut it to size - nobody knew about masks then. I'm - so
far, still here.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

I do have all 3 of those.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 12:00:16 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

Our local council has made it a bit more difficult, although still
possible.

At the time, ours couldn't have made it any easier.

When daughter and I took a corrugated fibreglass roofed, corrugated
cement fiber walled, steel framed garage down we didn't (that I can
remember) use any breathing protection, just gloves.

We stacked the sheets round the front of the house (that were painted
on one side and we were careful not to kick up any dust or break them
etc) and the Council arranged for a vehicle to come and get them where
a guy in some full PPE put them in his van and took them away FOC.

We are in Norf Lundin and I think the vehicle came from Bristol
(probably doing 'a round' collecting such materials).

We got a confirmation of their removal and I think it suggested the
asbestos content was .05% or some such.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2021 12:07, charles wrote:

In the late 1960s, I used asbestos cement sheeting as the internal covering
on my porch. I cut it to size - nobody knew about masks then. I'm - so
far, still here.

My dad's first job was at Portsmouth Power station in the late 40s. He
was involved in stripping out asbestos from the inside of the chimneys.
He died 70 years later from dementia.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

GB wrote:
On 06/04/2021 10:23, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I disposed of an old asbestos garage roof myself, full PPE face,
masks, goggles and gloves. It is reasonably safe to handle

especially if wetted. It is the dust in the lungs that is the danger
Also whitre asbestos is not nearly the problem that blue asbestos is.

Bear in mind that Mesothelioma takes around 25 years to develop. That's
probably longer than the life expectancy of most people on this
newsgroup. This is a job best done by older folk.

In the late 1960s, I used asbestos cement sheeting as the internal covering
on my porch. I cut it to size - nobody knew about masks then. I'm - so
far, still here.

I think the risk is probably exaggerated, although obviously best
avoided now we know about it.

It only takes one fibre, lodged in your lungs (usually the lungs but can
be elsewhere), to give you cancer. But the people most at risk were
those who worked with asbestos on a daily basis. For some sorts of
insulation, it came in powdered form, was mixed with water in a bucket,
and slapped in place. You can imagine the clouds of dust produced by
that mixing process.

By no means everybody working in this way became ill, so the risks for
an individual only working very occasionally with asbestos were probably
not all that bad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2021 11:56, GB wrote:
On 06/04/2021 10:23, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I disposed of an old asbestos garage roof myself, full PPE face,
masks, goggles and gloves. It is reasonably safe to handle

especially if wetted. It is the dust in the lungs that is the danger
Also whitre asbestos is not nearly the problem that blue asbestos is.

Bear in mind that Mesothelioma takes around 25 years to develop. That's
probably longer than the life expectancy of most people on this
newsgroup. This is a job best done by older folk.

Years ago, we had an garage cement-asbestos roof smashed through by
hired uninsured idiots next door who demolished the neighbours chimney
by removing bricks from the bottom, allowing gravity to finish the job.
A large crash, a total mess of very small powdered bits

Called the first random firm in yellow pages to do an asbestos safe
removal inspection. Chap walked in without PE, told me to keep back.

Obviously with age of his experience he must have some magic super
powers, but he briefly looked at it all and said he'd be robbing money
out of me if he took up the work. He left without charge - I gave him
some readies for a drink.

I, not knowing any better[1]; donned up a bunny suit, a filter mask and
a dribbling hose pipe and washed down what I could see.

My personal doom clock be ticking for so many other things lately, that
that particular incident is not a worry.

Well, I need to stay away from the falling edge of the pavement...

[1] - in hindsight, I should have found a lab somewhere and got some
samples tested.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 06/04/2021 10:23, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I disposed of an old asbestos garage roof myself, full PPE face,
masks, goggles and gloves. It is reasonably safe to handle

especially if wetted. It is the dust in the lungs that is the danger
Also whitre asbestos is not nearly the problem that blue asbestos is.

Bear in mind that Mesothelioma takes around 25 years to develop. That's
probably longer than the life expectancy of most people on this
newsgroup. This is a job best done by older folk.

In the late 1960s, I used asbestos cement sheeting as the internal covering
on my porch. I cut it to size - nobody knew about masks then. I'm - so
far, still here.

hell I sunbathed on asbestos rooves back in the 60s.

Got COPD but that's from smoking.

Far worse thing to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* GB wrote:
On 06/04/2021 10:23, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I disposed of an old asbestos garage roof myself, full PPE face,
masks, goggles and gloves. It is reasonably safe to handle

especially if wetted. It is the dust in the lungs that is the danger
Also whitre asbestos is not nearly the problem that blue asbestos is.

Bear in mind that Mesothelioma takes around 25 years to develop. That's
probably longer than the life expectancy of most people on this
newsgroup. This is a job best done by older folk.

In the late 1960s, I used asbestos cement sheeting as the internal
covering
on my porch. I cut it to size - nobody knew about masks then.Â* I'm - so
far, still here.

I think the risk is probably exaggerated, although obviously best
avoided now we know about it.

It only takes one fibre, lodged in your lungs (usually the lungs but can
be elsewhere), to give you cancer.

asbestos does not *necessarily|* give you cancer

"Asbestosis is long-term inflammation and scarring of the lungs due to
asbestos fibers. Symptoms may include shortness of breath, cough,
wheezing, and chest tightness. *Complications* may include lung cancer,
mesothelioma, and pulmonary heart disease."

Exactly the same as smoking

But the people most at risk were
those who worked with asbestos on a daily basis. For some sorts of
insulation, it came in powdered form, was mixed with water in a bucket,
and slapped in place. You can imagine the clouds of dust produced by
that mixing process.

By no means everybody working in this way became ill, so the risks for
an individual only working very occasionally with asbestos were probably
not all that bad.

The people who died were mainly in the mining, manufacture or heavy use
of, asbestos [parts].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos

is a balanced overview.

Asbestos wasn't in the end banned because it was *especially* dangerous,
but because it could be entirely replaced with other materials. It is
way less dangerous than smoking, for example.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
[...]

When very young I fell through a flat asbestos roof (Over a toilet in a changing room) Tore huge gash in back of my thigh. While face down on the operating table having it stitched up I kept complaining about a pain in the bridge of my foot. The surgeon had a look and said thats only a small cut but put a stitch in it to keep me quiet. He actually stitched a small piece of asbestos into it. It sat as a small projection on my foot for a few years and then began to weep. It had turned to gangrene.

Local electric company demolished cooling towers in some of their peat burning power stations. Some years later someone asked how they disposed of the asbestos.
" Dumped it in the bog."
" Whereabouts in the bog?"
" Can't remember."
End of story

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its very interesting, I have clear memories in the 80s of building a small
lean to for large metal stuff and the asbestos cement roof bits I just cut
off straight with a jig saw in the garden. The bits of dust are surprisingly
heavy and could easily be taken up later on. I would not go near the fibrous
blue stuff though I have to say.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes you do get different constituencies of it. All I can say is that like
most cements its very brittle and so it is a good idea to get shot of it
anyway after some years. I had a company remove all of ours when I finally
got rid of it, but just found some more buried under a bit of lawn of all
places.
Incidentally how can one get rid of a metal galvanised water tank stuck in
the loft space which is too big to go through the hatch without inviting
angle grinder man to burn your house down?

"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 12:00:16 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/04/2021 16:04, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Incidentally how can one get rid of a metal galvanised water tank stuck in
the loft space which is too big to go through the hatch without inviting
angle grinder man to burn your house down?

The fire brigade use scissors-like cutters for getting people out of
crashed cars. Probably hydraulic, rather than compressed air. I doubt
they'll come and remove your water tank for you, so perhaps you can make
it into a decorative feature?

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/04/2021 19:35, GB wrote:
On 06/04/2021 16:04, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Â* Incidentally how can one get rid of a metal galvanised water tank
stuck in
the loft space which is too big to go through the hatch without inviting
angle grinder man to burn your house down?

The fire brigade use scissors-like cutters for getting people out of
crashed cars. Probably hydraulic, rather than compressed air. I doubt
they'll come and remove your water tank for you, so perhaps you can make
it into a decorative feature?

How about this?
https://www.sunrisetools.co.uk/dust-...g/sparkbuster/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/04/2021 19:39, GB wrote:
On 06/04/2021 19:35, GB wrote:
On 06/04/2021 16:04, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Â* Incidentally how can one get rid of a metal galvanised water tank
stuck in
the loft space which is too big to go through the hatch without inviting
angle grinder man to burn your house down?

The fire brigade use scissors-like cutters for getting people out of
crashed cars. Probably hydraulic, rather than compressed air. I doubt
they'll come and remove your water tank for you, so perhaps you can
make it into a decorative feature?

How about this?
https://www.sunrisetools.co.uk/dust-...g/sparkbuster/

How thick is the metal? Would a nibbler do it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GB
wrote:
On 06/04/2021 16:04, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Incidentally how can one get rid of a metal galvanised water tank
stuck in the loft space which is too big to go through the hatch
without inviting angle grinder man to burn your house down?

The fire brigade use scissors-like cutters for getting people out of
crashed cars. Probably hydraulic, rather than compressed air. I doubt
they'll come and remove your water tank for you, so perhaps you can make
it into a decorative feature?

In our previous house, I hired an industrial quality jig saw and chopped up
the old tank into pieces small enough to go through the hatch.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* GB wrote:

[...]

For quite a long time after the general ban MOD had a derogation to use
it on the brakes of (I think) the Challenger tank. It's quite true that
you can replace it with other materials (I am thinking of the carbon
brakes on F1 cars) but *not* necessarily on the same geometry. I once
worked on some industrial centrifugal clutches that would only tolerate
one fault condition with asbestos linings. Asbestos has a relatively
high friction coefficient and, while there are alternative materials,
these would not survive the fault condition (which took the drum up to a
dull red heat). We were able to keep the plant on-line by improving
maintenance, which prevented the fault condition from arising.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2021 19:52, charles wrote:
In article , GB
wrote:
On 06/04/2021 16:04, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Incidentally how can one get rid of a metal galvanised water tank
stuck in the loft space which is too big to go through the hatch
without inviting angle grinder man to burn your house down?

The fire brigade use scissors-like cutters for getting people out of
crashed cars. Probably hydraulic, rather than compressed air. I doubt
they'll come and remove your water tank for you, so perhaps you can make
it into a decorative feature?

In our previous house, I hired an industrial quality jig saw and chopped up
the old tank into pieces small enough to go through the hatch.

I did much the same in 1979 but with a B&D drill with a jigsaw
attachment. But I'm not sure any of us were ever the same afterwards.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 06/04/2021 16:04, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Incidentally how can one get rid of a metal galvanised water tank
stuck in the loft space which is too big to go through the hatch
without inviting angle grinder man to burn your house down?

The fire brigade use scissors-like cutters for getting people out of
crashed cars. Probably hydraulic, rather than compressed air. I doubt
they'll come and remove your water tank for you, so perhaps you can
make it into a decorative feature?

In our previous house, I hired an industrial quality jig saw and
chopped up the old tank into pieces small enough to go through the
hatch.

I did much the same in 1979 but with a B&D drill with a jigsaw
attachment. But I'm not sure any of us were ever the same afterwards.

In my case, it was few years earlier - we moved in 1977. So, I've had
longer to recover.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just wanted to say we got the tank out of the loft in one piece. With changing the loft hatch over fairly recently and with the old hatch removed giving enough space (65cm3) to lower the tank intact we decide this would be the safest option seeing as the tank was in excellent condition posing no real danger in its current state. Purchased a BIG bag asbestos kit allowing us to wrap the tank in two high grade poly bags and then a strong hippo style "asbestos warning" outer bag. Then it was just a case of safely tying a rope to get the weight even and then another to give enough length to lower it down for a safe landing. Got to admit it was a little nerve wrecking sending that thing out over the edge but went really well and hopefully get a free collection at some point to be rid of it for good.

Anyway just thought I would update. Now onto my next problem. :P

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...k-3109620-.htm

DryLok over Asbestos Tile? (or how to waterproof over asbestos tile) Dan Home Repair 4 May 21st 17 02:01 AM
Now I know why I'll always have loft water storage and a hot watertank Capitol UK diy 37 January 27th 15 11:33 AM
Stripping and painting asbestos-cement pipe Steve UK diy 2 July 27th 05 05:13 PM
asbestos cement roofing ron UK diy 1 October 26th 04 09:48 PM
Seized (watertank) shutoff valve Steve UK diy 8 April 5th 04 04:40 PM