Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Reid[_2_] David Reid[_2_] is offline

Default Asbestos Cement Watertank

Hi,
I am in the middle of sorting out our loft space at the moment but now have the issue of a disused watertank. We had a combi boiler installed about 2yrs ago which meant our watertank in the loft has been sitting there with a heavy duty plastic bag around it ever since - it has been confirmed asbestos cement already (1970's property - with label on tank).

I would like to know if this is something I could tackle myself? Given my intended approach. - Full PPE - suit, mask and rubber gloves, quite a few very large heavy duty bags to put the tank in and then just wet the whole tank before breaking it down inside several bags. Our local Recycling centre as already confirmed this is something they can take as they have the facility for householders to take their own asbestos (atleast double bagged) to their site.

Obviously I have full respect of the material I am dealing with which is why I'm not just charging in there. Although I feel confident with my method I have minimal risk.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
David

--