Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mapping the deforestation footprint of nations reveals growing threatto tropical forests

Mapping the deforestation footprint of nations reveals
growing threat to tropical forests
by Hoang & Kanemoto, 29 March 2021, Nature
[Abstract]
Deforestation, a significant threat to biodiversity, is
accelerated by global demand for commodities. Although prior
literature has linked deforestation to global supply chains,
here we provide a fine-scale representation of spatial patterns
of deforestation associated with international trade. Using
remote sensing data and a multi-region input€“output model,
we quantify and map the spatiotemporal changes in global
deforestation footprints over 15 years (2001€“2015) at a 30-m
resolution. We find that, while many developed countries,
China and India have obtained net forest gains domestically,
they have also increased the deforestation embodied in their
imports, of which tropical forests are the most threatened
biome. Consumption patterns of G7 countries drive an average
loss of 3.9 trees per person per year. Some of the hotspots of
deforestation embodied in int'l trade are also biodiversity
hotspots, such as in Southeast Asia, Madagascar, Liberia,
Central America and the Amazonian rainforest. Our results
emphasize the need to reform zero-deforestation policies thru
strong transnational efforts and by improving supply chain
transparency, public€“private engagement and financial support
for the tropics.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-021-01417-z
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 22:23:28 -0700 (PDT), David P
wrote:

Mapping the deforestation footprint of nations reveals
growing threat to tropical forests

snip

Mostly to either graze cattle for their flesh or to grow food to feed
livestock for their flesh ... when we don't need to eat animal flesh.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mapping the deforestation footprint of nations reveals
growing threat to tropical forests

snip

Mostly to either graze cattle for their flesh or to grow food to feed
livestock for their flesh ... when we don't need to eat animal flesh.

If we want to says Amazon rainforests we should use less in direct food
products, rather than the lesser amounts used in animal feeds.

https://sustainablefoodtrust.org/art...south-america/

Soybeans also reach our tables as oil€”which represents around 27% of
worldwide vegetable oil production.

China imports the most Soy.

Eating meat might actually reduce deforestation. As well as getting your
daily fix of vitamins. It's win-win to eat meat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2021 16:02, Fredxx wrote:
If we want to says Amazon rainforests we should use less in direct food
products, rather than the lesser amounts used in animal feeds.

population Brazil:

211 million in 2020.
93 million in 1970
31 million in 1920.

This is the main driver for the destruction of the rain forests. Not
helped of course by Brazil not being in anyway unusual.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2021 21:59, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 04/04/2021 16:02, Fredxx wrote:
If we want to says Amazon rainforests we should use less in direct
food products, rather than the lesser amounts used in animal feeds.

I did mean save and not "says", damn spelchucker.

population Brazil:

211 million in 2020.
93 million in 1970
31 million in 1920.

This is the main driver for the destruction of the rain forests. Not
helped of course by Brazil not being in anyway unusual.

It has been said most of the UK was forested until man came along.
Brazil is just following our lead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2021 01:23, Fredxx wrote:
On 05/04/2021 21:59, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 04/04/2021 16:02, Fredxx wrote:
If we want to says Amazon rainforests we should use less in direct
food products, rather than the lesser amounts used in animal feeds.

I did mean save and not "says", damn spelchucker.

population Brazil:

211 million in 2020.
93 million in 1970
31 million in 1920.

This is the main driver for the destruction of the rain forests. Not
helped of course by Brazil not being in anyway unusual.

It has been said most of the UK was forested until man came along.
Brazil is just following our lead.

+1

Its also being realised that intensive farming solely for food crops is
destroying the soil structure so incorporating a period where the land
is given over to grazing animals will be beneficial.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
[...]

Tell Tim to look up Jethro Tull but I think something of the sort has
been practised since the Bronze age!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2021 10:02, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 06/04/2021 01:23, Fredxx wrote:
On 05/04/2021 21:59, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 04/04/2021 16:02, Fredxx wrote:
If we want to says Amazon rainforests we should use less in direct
food products, rather than the lesser amounts used in animal feeds.
Â*I did mean save and not "says", damn spelchucker.

population Brazil:

211 million in 2020.
93 million in 1970
31 million in 1920.

This is the main driver for the destruction of the rain forests. Not
helped of course by Brazil not being in anyway unusual.
Â*It has been said most of the UK was forested until man came along.
Brazil is just following our lead.

+1

Its also being realised that intensive farming solely for food crops
is destroying the soil structure so incorporating a period where the
land is given over to grazing animals will be beneficial.

Tell Tim to look up Jethro Tull but I think something of the sort has
been practised since the Bronze age!

Apparently so. Evidence from 6000 BC indicates crop rotation and fallow
periods were in use then.

--
Climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.
Mark Twain