Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Growing Tropical Plants in your Loft/Attic

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:21:29 +0000 (UTC), Julian Barnes
wrote:

Hi guys,

Are these new LED-based lamps suitable for growing a certain tropical
plant in your attic? They're apparently much more efficient and produce
more lumins per Watt and less heat. But is less heat a drawback in this
particular application? Do the plants require heat as much as light?

Peace, people.

Jules.

Seems LED lighting for horticulture is becoming quite popular,
replacing fluorescents http://tinyurl.com/kupkj4o

Discussion here http://tinyurl.com/nkqplde

and here http://tinyurl.com/l3rervj

The getting the correct wavelength of light for a particular crop may
be important. As to heat, some things don't require much heat, other
things may need quite a lot. But it has to be better to supply heat
and light separately, as they can then be independently controlled.

But why would you want to grow tomatoes in your attic?

Dope I expect........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi guys,

Are these new LED-based lamps suitable for growing a certain tropical
plant in your attic? They're apparently much more efficient and produce
more lumins per Watt and less heat. But is less heat a drawback in this
particular application? Do the plants require heat as much as light?

Peace, people.

Jules.

Seems LED lighting for horticulture is becoming quite popular,
replacing fluorescents http://tinyurl.com/kupkj4o

Discussion here http://tinyurl.com/nkqplde

Poorly informed discussion

"Photoperiodic lighting - because of spectral output and cost considerations, tungsten light bulbs have remained the light source of choice for this application for many years. However, tungsten light bulbs were phased out by the UK Government on 1st September 2011 "

Tungsten is still alive and in the shops and has never been used for hortultural use.

and here http://tinyurl.com/l3rervj

LED as a supplement to 600W HPS

The getting the correct wavelength of light for a particular crop may
be important. As to heat, some things don't require much heat, other
things may need quite a lot. But it has to be better to supply heat
and light separately, as they can then be independently controlled.

LEDs tend to be not so great for flowering plants, vegetative growth they`re OK

But why would you want to grow tomatoes in your attic?

Sure the OP is looking at growing chili`s ;-)

--

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Julian Barnes" wrote in message ...
Are these new LED-based lamps suitable for growing a certain tropical
plant in your attic?

Pardon my asking, but these "tropical" plants of yours, wouldn't look
anything like this would they....

http://tinyurl.com/ognwr6e

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/15 19:21, Julian Barnes wrote:
Hi guys,

Are these new LED-based lamps suitable for growing a certain tropical
plant in your attic? They're apparently much more efficient and produce
more lumins per Watt and less heat. But is less heat a drawback in this
particular application? Do the plants require heat as much as light?

Peace, people.

Jules.

Tropical plants - what ARE you like?

OK - seriously... I assume you mean orchids

Given that certain high lumen cultivation systems actually have alot of
problems getting rid of excess heat, I suspect a strong cool light is
actually better. The optimum temperature depends on the species, but I'd
say you're better off getting the lighting cool and right and
supplementing the heating *only when necessary* with tube heaters or
soil heaters.

The main concern would be giving the plants a useful spectrum -
fluorescent tubes are made specially for growing not sure if there are
LED lamps that are as well tuned?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 April 2015 19:22:30 UTC+1, Julian Barnes wrote:
Hi guys,

Are these new LED-based lamps suitable for growing a certain tropical
plant in your attic? They're apparently much more efficient and produce
more lumins per Watt and less heat. But is less heat a drawback in this
particular application? Do the plants require heat as much as light?

Peace, people.

Jules.

Large fluorescent tubes make a lot more sense really. And sodium make even better sense. LEDs no, less light per lumen, far more upfront cost.

If the plants are of a dubious nature, expect overhead IR scans to pick it up, I believe these are used to plan raids. BICBW.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are these new LED-based lamps suitable for growing a certain tropical
plant in your attic?

police helicopters fly over houses looking for heated attics then send their mates to batter down your doors

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 10:38:57 PM UTC+1, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Are these new LED-based lamps suitable for growing a certain tropical
plant in your attic?

police helicopters fly over houses looking for heated attics then send their mates to batter down your doors

[g]

HO T5 is the fluro option , the indoor growing market is several times the size of the weed growing business, all that out of season fuit, veg and flowers come from somewhere.

But guess osme of the weed growers are probably doing the cutting edge research

https://www.icmag.com

Be aware along with LED `grow lights` there is no end to the stuff they`ll punt weed growers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLIR-MASK-...em256f91 c290

Cellotex may be a better option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 20:52:42 +0100, Simon T wrote:

"Julian Barnes" wrote in message ...
Are these new LED-based lamps suitable for growing a certain tropical
plant in your attic?

Pardon my asking, but these "tropical" plants of yours, wouldn't look
anything like this would they....

http://tinyurl.com/ognwr6e

Or this one:

http://goo.gl/BjGL82

wish to copy them they can pay me £3 0a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

Be aware along with LED `grow lights` there is no end to the stuff they`ll punt weed growers

I noticed when I was looking for a quiet in-line extractor fan
that a number of searches came up with suggestions that they
might be suitable for such purposes.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 18 April 2015 11:01:47 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 18/04/15 09:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes very odd innit.

Could it possibly be that the crop might upset the locals or be illegal in
some way?
Brian

Always struck me that a house with a generous cellar would make a far
better growing emporium. Out of sight of the thermal cameras, wate heat,
if wanted would tend to heat the house any noise of equipment would be
well muffled.

Perhaps one of those fine converted houses in Kensington with the 4
level basements?

I thought one of the other main problems was ventilation as in getting rid of the smell and gettign enough air flow to stop certain moulds and insects.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 April 2015 13:38:09 UTC+1, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 04:47:08 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Saturday, 18 April 2015 11:01:47 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 18/04/15 09:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes very odd innit.

Could it possibly be that the crop might upset the locals or be illegal in
some way?
Brian

Always struck me that a house with a generous cellar would make a far
better growing emporium. Out of sight of the thermal cameras, wate heat,
if wanted would tend to heat the house any noise of equipment would be
well muffled.

Perhaps one of those fine converted houses in Kensington with the 4
level basements?

I thought one of the other main problems was ventilation as in getting rid of the smell and gettign enough air flow to stop certain moulds and insects.

Stagnant air certainly does encourage mould growth, but I don't think
it has any effect on insects one way or the other.

--

Chris

I've heard about frip(SP) phrip can't remmeber the spelling that comes about due to the higher temperatiures and humidity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its also a quaetion of letting plants breathe, looking at Combined Heat and Power get into tri-generation which is Heat Power and Cooling and onto quad generation which adds carbon capture as cleaned up CO2 from exhaust, this is then fed to enrich atmosphere in grenhouses, some distillerys exprimnted with it a while back with excess CO2 from mashing.

Something Harry said about CHP not working out unless had a use for the heat, British Sugar and Britains largest greenhouse , consumes the CO2 as well:

http://www.britishsugar.co.uk/tomatoes.aspx

If CHP with carbon recovery works that well, 95%!?, should all be turning into energy farmers running tomatoes and rape seed for the gennies, few solar panels round the edges and be a subsidy magnet ;-)

http://www.clarke-energy.com/natural...reenhouse-chp/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2015 00:51, Adam Aglionby wrote:

Its also a quaetion of letting plants breathe, looking at Combined
Heat and Power get into tri-generation which is Heat Power and
Cooling and onto quad generation which adds carbon capture as
cleaned up CO2 from exhaust, this is then fed to enrich atmosphere
in grenhouses, some distillerys exprimnted with it a while back
with excess CO2 from mashing.

Something Harry said about CHP not working out unless had a use for
the heat, British Sugar and Britains largest greenhouse , consumes
the CO2 as well:

http://www.britishsugar.co.uk/tomatoes.aspx

If CHP with carbon recovery works that well, 95%!?, should all be
turning into energy farmers running tomatoes and rape seed for the
gennies, few solar panels round the edges and be a subsidy magnet
;-)

All made possible by using cheap fossil fuels to build the stuff.
Try doing it when you are paying 40p a unit for solar and wind energy to
build it.

Maybe the law should change now that there is so much green energy about
to force the greens to only use green energy to build stuff.
Then they really will save energy and know how much it really costs.

They can start by finding a way to power a cement factory to produce
concrete for the windmills instead of burning all that gas.

They will need smart meters too so they can be cut off when there isn't
enough green electricity to go around or pay a *big* premium for some
reliable nuke stuff.