Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Car phone holder

My trusty holder broke to day and it is time for a new one.

Looking for one that can be fixed to the windscreen, just below the rear
mirror, as I use the phone as my SatNav.

I always use my phone in landscape mode.

Important that it will hold firm - to the windscreen and will not bounce
(too much, anyway) when the road is a little bumpy. The phone will not
rest on the dashboard as the holder will be fixed too high for that (I
like to be able to see the road below it). Sensible price too.

Does anyone have experience (good? bad?) with these two? Can recommend
another suitable for the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...K/163666666239

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-In-Ca...n/284102467299

Many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 18:23, JoeJoe wrote:
My trusty holder broke to day and it is time for a new one.

Looking for one that can be fixed to the windscreen, just below the rear
mirror, as I use the phone as my SatNav.

That doesn't sound like a safe location. Could it obscure something in
front?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 18:47, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/04/2021 18:23, JoeJoe wrote:
My trusty holder broke to day and it is time for a new one.

Looking for one that can be fixed to the windscreen, just below the
rear mirror, as I use the phone as my SatNav.

That doesn't sound like a safe location. Could it obscure something in
front?

I can still see below it without a problem - there is a wide gap between
it and the dashboard. Unlike when you rest the phone on the dashboard
whihch clearly obscure your view of the road.

Been doing it from the day you could get a SatNav on a phone (pre-smart
phone, maybe 15 years).

Never had an accident in my life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 18:23, JoeJoe wrote:
My trusty holder broke to day and it is time for a new one.

Looking for one that can be fixed to the windscreen, just below the rear
mirror, as I use the phone as my SatNav.

I always use my phone in landscape mode.

Important that it will hold firm - to the windscreen and will not bounce
(too much, anyway) when the road is a little bumpy. The phone will not
rest on the dashboard as the holder will be fixed too high for that (I
like to be able to see the road below it). Sensible price too.

Does anyone have experience (good? bad?) with these two? Can recommend
another suitable for the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...K/163666666239

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-In-Ca...n/284102467299

Many thanks.

make sure you remove it before MOT time......

--
It wouldn't be the first time reality took theory and conjecture out
behind the shed and gave them a good thrashing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 19:57, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 02/04/2021 18:23, JoeJoe wrote:
My trusty holder broke to day and it is time for a new one.

Looking for one that can be fixed to the windscreen, just below the
rear mirror, as I use the phone as my SatNav.

I always use my phone in landscape mode.

Important that it will hold firm - to the windscreen and will not
bounce (too much, anyway) when the road is a little bumpy. The phone
will not rest on the dashboard as the holder will be fixed too high
for that (I like to be able to see the road below it). Sensible price
too.

Does anyone have experience (good? bad?) with these two? Can recommend
another suitable for the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...K/163666666239

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-In-Ca...n/284102467299

Many thanks.

make sure you remove it before MOT time......

Thanks. Never have done. Never failed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 20:32, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Likewise. I have a dashcam and a mount for my phone that would normally
be regarded as being in my vision for MOT purposes.

If it was an issue the guys at the MOT garage would simply remove them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 18:23, JoeJoe wrote:
My trusty holder broke to day and it is time for a new one.

Looking for one that can be fixed to the windscreen, just below the rear
mirror, as I use the phone as my SatNav.

Is it legal to place a sat-nav there? It will fall into the same rules
as hanging fluffy dice or an air freshener on the rear view mirror.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 20:47, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 18:23, JoeJoe wrote:
My trusty holder broke to day and it is time for a new one.

Looking for one that can be fixed to the windscreen, just below the
rear mirror, as I use the phone as my SatNav.

Is it legal to place a sat-nav there? It will fall into the same rules
as hanging fluffy dice or an air freshener on the rear view mirror.

The thought that there was anything wrong with it, legally or otherwise,
had never crossed my mind. Really. I did likewise with rental cars
all over the world for many many years. Never a problem.

I would not have done so had I thought that it was impacting my view of
the road. Reason I did it in the first place is because I thought that
this was the least obstructive location to place a sat nav in a car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I have had mine emoved by tester

Advisory notice item(s):

Items removed from driver's view prior to test ()
Nearside Rear Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened
trailing arm (5.3.3 (b) (i))
Front Exhaust mounting defective hanger corroded and broken (6.1.2 (a))
Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing both front cracked
around shoulders 165x60x14 (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 20:42, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

indeed as they did mine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 20:55, JoeJoe wrote:

The thought that there was anything wrong with it, legally or otherwise,
had never crossed my mind. Really.Â* I did likewise with rental cars all
over the world for many many years. Never a problem.

Until you have an accident and the obstruction of vision is sited as the
cause. Also, from what I understand a sat-nav on a phone is classified
as PHONE usage in the UK if you operate the sat-nav whilst on the move.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 21:04, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 20:55, JoeJoe wrote:

The thought that there was anything wrong with it, legally or
otherwise, had never crossed my mind. Really.Â* I did likewise with
rental cars all over the world for many many years. Never a problem.

Until you have an accident and the obstruction of vision is sited as the
cause.Â* Also, from what I understand a sat-nav on a phone is classified
as PHONE usage in the UK if you operate the sat-nav whilst on the move.

When has touching a phone in a hands free mode started to be an offence?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 02/04/2021 21:04, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 20:55, JoeJoe wrote:

The thought that there was anything wrong with it, legally or
otherwise, had never crossed my mind. Really. I did likewise with
rental cars all over the world for many many years. Never a problem.

Until you have an accident and the obstruction of vision is sited as
the cause. Also, from what I understand a sat-nav on a phone is
classified as PHONE usage in the UK if you operate the sat-nav whilst
on the move.

When has touching a phone in a hands free mode started to be an offence?

Can you do anything other than make a phone call in hands free mode?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 02/04/2021 21:04, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 20:55, JoeJoe wrote:

The thought that there was anything wrong with it, legally or
otherwise, had never crossed my mind. Really. I did likewise with
rental cars all over the world for many many years. Never a problem.

Until you have an accident and the obstruction of vision is sited as
the cause. Also, from what I understand a sat-nav on a phone is
classified as PHONE usage in the UK if you operate the sat-nav whilst
on the move.

When has touching a phone in a hands free mode started to be an offence?

Can you do anything other than make a phone call in hands free mode?

Yep, you can setup navigation that way.

And can text that way too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 21:57, charles wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 02/04/2021 21:04, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 20:55, JoeJoe wrote:

The thought that there was anything wrong with it, legally or
otherwise, had never crossed my mind. Really. I did likewise with
rental cars all over the world for many many years. Never a problem.

Until you have an accident and the obstruction of vision is sited as
the cause. Also, from what I understand a sat-nav on a phone is
classified as PHONE usage in the UK if you operate the sat-nav whilst
on the move.

When has touching a phone in a hands free mode started to be an offence?

Can you do anything other than make a phone call in hands free mode?

Saying "Hello Google" for example will allow you to do many things on an
Android phone. Follow that with "Navigate to..." or similar will start
Google Maps, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 09:08:55 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 20:55, JoeJoe wrote:
On 02/04/2021 20:47, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 18:23, JoeJoe wrote:
My trusty holder broke to day and it is time for a new one.

Looking for one that can be fixed to the windscreen, just below the
rear mirror, as I use the phone as my SatNav.

Is it legal to place a sat-nav there? It will fall into the same rules
as hanging fluffy dice or an air freshener on the rear view mirror.

The thought that there was anything wrong with it, legally or otherwise,
had never crossed my mind. Really.Â* I did likewise with rental cars all
over the world for many many years. Never a problem.

I would not have done so had I thought that it was impacting my view of
the road. Reason I did it in the first place is because I thought that
this was the least obstructive location to place a sat nav in a car.

well tuff because they do and the world gets more rediculous every day......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 21:26, Fredxx wrote:
On 02/04/2021 21:04, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 20:55, JoeJoe wrote:

The thought that there was anything wrong with it, legally or
otherwise, had never crossed my mind. Really.Â* I did likewise with
rental cars all over the world for many many years. Never a problem.

Until you have an accident and the obstruction of vision is sited as
the cause.Â* Also, from what I understand a sat-nav on a phone is
classified as PHONE usage in the UK if you operate the sat-nav whilst
on the move.

When has touching a phone in a hands free mode started to be an offence?

for a while

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

which they did to mine...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 20:59, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â* Items removed from driver's view prior to test ()
Â*Â*Â* Nearside Rear Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened
trailing arm (5.3.3 (b) (i))
Â*Â*Â* Front Exhaust mounting defective hanger corroded and broken (6.1.2
(a))
Â*Â*Â* Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing both front cracked
around shoulders 165x60x14 (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Â*Â*Â* Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()

Good to see they're doing the job enthusiastically. They obviously care
for your and others' safety.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Apr 2021 at 07:46:50 BST, ""Jim GM4DHJ ...""
wrote:

On 02/04/2021 21:26, Fredxx wrote:
On 02/04/2021 21:04, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 20:55, JoeJoe wrote:

The thought that there was anything wrong with it, legally or
otherwise, had never crossed my mind. Really.Â* I did likewise with
rental cars all over the world for many many years. Never a problem.

Until you have an accident and the obstruction of vision is sited as
the cause.Â* Also, from what I understand a sat-nav on a phone is
classified as PHONE usage in the UK if you operate the sat-nav whilst
on the move.

When has touching a phone in a hands free mode started to be an offence?

for a while

Not if the phone is fixed to the car yet, though they plan to make hands free
calls illegal.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 02/04/2021 21:26, Fredxx wrote:
On 02/04/2021 21:04, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 20:55, JoeJoe wrote:

The thought that there was anything wrong with it, legally or
otherwise, had never crossed my mind. Really.Â* I did likewise with
rental cars all over the world for many many years. Never a problem.

Until you have an accident and the obstruction of vision is sited as
the cause.Â* Also, from what I understand a sat-nav on a phone is
classified as PHONE usage in the UK if you operate the sat-nav whilst
on the move.

When has touching a phone in a hands free mode started to be an offence?

for a while

Not if the phone is fixed to the car yet, though they plan to make hands free
calls illegal.

I know the Transport Committee called for consideration of such a ban.
But I can only recall plans to widen the ban on /hand-held/ use beyond
calls, text, tweets etc to off-line stuff (eg playing music or taking
videos). There was a consultation document on that last year.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 08:26, Richard wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â* Items removed from driver's view prior to test ()
Â*Â*Â*Â* Nearside Rear Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened
trailing arm (5.3.3 (b) (i))
Â*Â*Â*Â* Front Exhaust mounting defective hanger corroded and broken
(6.1.2 (a))
Â*Â*Â*Â* Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing both front cracked
around shoulders 165x60x14 (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Â*Â*Â*Â* Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()

Good to see they're doing the job enthusiastically. They obviously care
for your and others' safety.

OK so why over the years do advisories come and go like product on my
headlights which was never there...it's a lottery...

--
It wouldn't be the first time reality took theory and conjecture out
behind the shed and gave them a good thrashing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 02/04/2021 21:26, Fredxx wrote:
Â* On 02/04/2021 21:04, alan_m wrote:
Â* On 02/04/2021 20:55, JoeJoe wrote:

Â* The thought that there was anything wrong with it, legally or
Â* otherwise, had never crossed my mind. Really.Â* I did likewise with
Â* rental cars all over the world for many many years. Never a
problem.

Â* Until you have an accident and the obstruction of vision is sited as
Â* the cause.Â* Also, from what I understand a sat-nav on a phone is
Â* classified as PHONE usage in the UK if you operate the sat-nav
whilst
Â* on the move.
Â* When has touching a phone in a hands free mode started to be an
offence?
for a while

Not if the phone is fixed to the car yet, though they plan to make
hands free
calls illegal.

I know the Transport Committee called for consideration of such a ban.
But I can only recall plans to widen the ban on /hand-held/ use beyond
calls, text, tweets etc to off-line stuff (eg playing music or taking
videos).Â* There was a consultation document on that last year.

hope they never ban hand held microphones.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3feB2V17zQA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 13:47, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2021 18:23:51 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

My trusty holder broke to day and it is time for a new one.

Looking for one that can be fixed to the windscreen, just below the rear
mirror, as I use the phone as my SatNav.

I always use my phone in landscape mode.

Important that it will hold firm - to the windscreen and will not bounce
(too much, anyway) when the road is a little bumpy. The phone will not
rest on the dashboard as the holder will be fixed too high for that (I
like to be able to see the road below it). Sensible price too.

Does anyone have experience (good? bad?) with these two? Can recommend
another suitable for the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...een-Dashboard-

Holder-Mount-For-GPS-Mobile-Phone-UK/163666666239

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-In-Ca...der-Dashboard-

Suction-Home-Universal-Mount-Windscreen/284102467299

Many thanks.

Personally my advice is to forget anything with suction. It *will* fail,
and it *will* fail catastrophically. And having a corner edge of a
smartphone to your 'nads might be a brief distraction from following your
route, but it's not really compensation.

I have a magnetic holder which clips onto the vent, and came with a metal
disc that can either be stuck to your phone/case or (in my case) slipping
inside the back of the case.

My wife likes Tom Toms. She has had 2 over the last 10 years. Their
devices weight a ton. Probably twice the weight of a smart phone. Their
holders have stayed on the windscreen, never failed or removed during
that time. Suction. The devices are held as if in a vice - no movement
whatsoever.

It can be done. This is why I was asking for advice.

I know a universal phone holder has to be a little more accommodating,
but I have yet to see a decent one...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 23:06, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

PS: I am looking for a suction one as I like them fixed high. Fixed to a
vent is too low, and to the dashboard blocks my view of the road.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply nontheless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

She's mad, google maps leaves them for dead now.

She has had 2 over the last 10 years. Their devices weight a ton. Probably
twice the weight of a smart phone. Their holders have stayed on the
windscreen, never failed or removed during that time. Suction. The devices
are held as if in a vice - no movement whatsoever.

It can be done. This is why I was asking for advice.

I know a universal phone holder has to be a little more accommodating, but
I have yet to see a decent one...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 08:28:09 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

She's mad, google maps leaves them for dead now.

I believe I told you already, you can shove your Google Maps up your senile
arse, senile cretin!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 23:28, Rod Speed wrote:

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I've bee a TomTom hater myself for many years and refused to go anywhere
near it.

I must say though that their latest version for a smart phone is
actually very good, and my preferred choice in the last year or so. It
does use Google when searching, and up-to-date traffic too, and the
navigation is 10x clearer that Google Maps or Waze (same owner now).
Zooming into every junction/roundabout is particularly good, and awful
with the two mentioned above. Especially in a complex situation (i.e. in
town or a motorway with many exits/roadsabove/below). The UI is also
much better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/04/2021 23:28, Rod Speed wrote:

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I did prefer it to the NavMans, Garmins and
Magellans before google maps showed up
but much prefer google maps now.

I must say though that their latest version for a smart phone is actually
very good,

Pity about the stupid price.

and my preferred choice in the last year or so. It does use Google when
searching, and up-to-date traffic too,

Google maps does real time arrival time allowing
for current traffic much better because it uses
mobile phone base traffic to work that out.

and the navigation is 10x clearer that Google Maps or Waze (same owner
now).

I never look at the screen when driving, too dangerous.
I use the voice turn by turn navigation.

Zooming into every junction/roundabout is particularly good,

Why do you need to do that ? Laned turn by turn
navigation works much better when driving.

and awful with the two mentioned above. Especially in a complex situation
(i.e. in town or a motorway with many exits/roadsabove/below).

See above.

The UI is also much better.

Dont agree with that.

But nothing like google maps street view.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2021 18:32, Rod Speed wrote:

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/04/2021 23:28, Rod Speed wrote:

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Tom Tom was alywas better than those you mentioned. Still pretty awful.

I must say though that their latest version for a smart phone is
actually very good,

Pity about the stupid price.

Yep.

and my preferred choice in the last year or so. It does use Google
when searching, and up-to-date traffic too,

Google maps does real time arrival time allowing
for current traffic much better because it uses
mobile phone base traffic to work that out.

I agree that this is good, but a few minutes either way hardly make any
difference to me. Just back from a 2:40 minute drive, combination of
inner city, suburbs and motorway. Tom Tom was off by 3 minutes in the
end from the guesstimated arrival time at the beginning.

and the navigation is 10x clearer that Google Maps or Waze (same owner
now).

I never look at the screen when driving, too dangerous.
I use the voice turn by turn navigation.

I do. A habit.
Zooming into every junction/roundabout is particularly good,

Why do you need to do that ?Â* Laned turn by turn
navigation works much better when driving.

I find it invaluable when entering complicated junctions/roundabout. All
but impossible to work out what's going on with Google. Tom Tom (and
others) zoom into the junction as you enter it, making it much easier to
see where you are/need to go.

and awful with the two mentioned above. Especially in a complex
situation (i.e. in town or a motorway with many exits/roadsabove/below).

See above.

The UI is also much better.

Dont agree with that.

A matter of taste I suppose.

But nothing like google maps street view.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had a phone holder which was by Osomount and rather than sticking to the dash or windscreen purely by suction it had a sticky circular mount that was VERY sticky and did indeed adhere really well.

In order to renew its stickyness you just had to wash it in plain water and it did become much stickier, I can really recommend this type of holder, I had one by another brand that I got on Amazon and it had the same sticky mounting and was just as good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2021 18:52, Murmansk wrote:
I had a phone holder which was by Osomount and rather than sticking to the dash or windscreen purely by suction it had a sticky circular mount that was VERY sticky and did indeed adhere really well.

In order to renew its stickyness you just had to wash it in plain water and it did become much stickier, I can really recommend this type of holder, I had one by another brand that I got on Amazon and it had the same sticky mounting and was just as good.

Thanks! Will have a look