Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cheapest useful outdoor laser lavel

no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

I don't know about green £££ lasers, but with a red one not much chance
beyond about 3 metres in daylight, unless you like working at twilight
(or willing to buy a laser receiver, in which case make sure your laser
has a pulsed mode).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that fred formulated :
no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

A cheap red on will work outside, but at dusk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
fred wrote:

no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

I don't know about green £££ lasers, but with a red one not much chance
beyond about 3 metres in daylight, unless you like working at twilight
(or willing to buy a laser receiver, in which case make sure your laser
has a pulsed mode).

I find red OK if you use a white target.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 12:35, fred wrote:
no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

I have my grandfather's Cowley level, and I know how to use it

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 12:35, fred wrote:
no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

I've just checked my Bosch Quigo self levelling green laser device outdoors

With a white card as the "detector" I could just about see the line at
around 6 to 7 metres. Without the white card I could just about see the
line at 4 to 5 metres on my hand. This was at mid-day - bright overcast sky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 12:35, fred wrote:
no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29lzibkKeAI

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

Do you mean outdoor as in waterproof, or outdoor as in seeing it in full
sunlight?

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
fred writes
no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

Slightly sideways.. have you considered a *water level*. As used by the
Egyptians:-)

Use requires a bit of care but they have benefits not available to
lazers. Firstly, you don't require line of sight. Secondly, they don't
need initial levelling.

I see Screwfix have a kit for £17. Don't leave water in the pipe for
years as mine grew fungus.

With the cap on the hand held end and *off* at the reference station,
you can move to your measure point, remove the cap and adjust the gauge
height to the level mark.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 12:38:49 PM UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 12:35, fred wrote:
no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

I've just checked my Bosch Quigo self levelling green laser device outdoors

With a white card as the "detector" I could just about see the line at
around 6 to 7 metres. Without the white card I could just about see the
line at 4 to 5 metres on my hand. This was at mid-day - bright overcast sky.

Thank you Alan. Informative and useful

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 12:42:55 PM UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 12:35, fred wrote:
no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29lzibkKeAI

Tried a water level once for hinges on gate hanging. Useless as I hadn't spotted the bubble :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 12:48:21 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
fred wrote:
no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

Do you mean outdoor as in waterproof, or outdoor as in seeing it in full
sunlight?

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Outdoor as in visible in sunlight
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

Do you mean outdoor as in waterproof, or outdoor as in seeing it in full
sunlight?

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Outdoor as in visible in sunlight

That's going to need a very powerful laser. With the associated H&S
problems.

--
*Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.