Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double glazing, approximate cost, recommendations?

We are considering getting our (N. London) flat's windows double
glazed, here's a picture of the flat from the outside, all our windows
are on this side.

https://isbd.uk/pictures/apex/image0.jpeg

Our flat is the lower one of the two duplex flats in the middle of the
block, i.e. its windows are the bottom four windows under the upper
duplex flat's balcony.

So what sort of ball-park figure are we looking at to get all four
windows replaced with double glazing? All the windows are are floor
to ceiling and the downstairs one on the right has a door onto the
balcony.

A few thousand pounds I guess, tens of thousands?

Also, any recommendations for companies to do the work?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Our flat is the lower one of the two duplex flats in the middle of the
block, i.e. its windows are the bottom four windows under the upper
duplex flat's balcony.

So what sort of ball-park figure are we looking at to get all four
windows replaced with double glazing? All the windows are are floor
to ceiling and the downstairs one on the right has a door onto the
balcony.

A few thousand pounds I guess, tens of thousands?

What is access like? Can they get to it with a ladder, or with scaffolding
from on top of the garages? Or would they need to scaffold from the ground
up?

(or can window firms do everything from the inside these days?)

Would you need to get approval from your management company/etc? It looks
like everyone else has double glazing so that might be easy.

Also, any recommendations for companies to do the work?

Worth talking to your neighbours - so you can get frames that match theirs.

OTTOMH I would be thinking about £1K per 'normal' window if things aren't
'complicated' (and these are big windows so possibly cost a bit more).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2021 11:16, Chris Green wrote:
We are considering getting our (N. London) flat's windows double
glazed, here's a picture of the flat from the outside, all our windows
are on this side.

https://isbd.uk/pictures/apex/image0.jpeg

Our flat is the lower one of the two duplex flats in the middle of the
block, i.e. its windows are the bottom four windows under the upper
duplex flat's balcony.

So what sort of ball-park figure are we looking at to get all four
windows replaced with double glazing? All the windows are are floor
to ceiling and the downstairs one on the right has a door onto the
balcony.

A few thousand pounds I guess, tens of thousands?

Also, any recommendations for companies to do the work?

All the other windows are an identical style, so I suspect the
freeholder of the block was involved in their installation and
may insist that you use their preferred installer - maybe.

It would be nice if you could install windows near the outside
of those projecting walls and extend your flat. That would need
freeholder approval plus building regs and wouldn't be cheap but
most of the cost would be the windows anyway and you are
already prepared to replace them.

Well away from London I would estimate the two smaller ones at
about £1500-£1750 each and £2500-£3000 for each of the larger
ones. Geting close to £10K, but that is well outside London.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

[finger trouble]

(or can window firms do everything from the inside these days?)

apart from siliconing

OTTOMH I would be thinking about £1K per 'normal' window if things aren't
'complicated' (and these are big windows so possibly cost a bit more).

For supply-only prices try justvaluedoors.co.uk or windowsanddoors.co.uk
Then at least you know how much a supply-and-fit outfit are whacking on top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

All the other windows are an identical style

not really, they'e all been made to look fairly similar, but I see
different numbers of panes, different sizes of opening/top-lights,
different trickle vents, extractor fans, one is a patio slider, etc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
Our flat is the lower one of the two duplex flats in the middle of the
block, i.e. its windows are the bottom four windows under the upper
duplex flat's balcony.

So what sort of ball-park figure are we looking at to get all four
windows replaced with double glazing? All the windows are are floor
to ceiling and the downstairs one on the right has a door onto the
balcony.

A few thousand pounds I guess, tens of thousands?

What is access like? Can they get to it with a ladder, or with scaffolding
from on top of the garages? Or would they need to scaffold from the ground
up?

Easy from the balcony, it's very deep (length of garage basically)

(or can window firms do everything from the inside these days?)

Would you need to get approval from your management company/etc? It looks
like everyone else has double glazing so that might be easy.

It's 'our' management company, i.e. the flat leaseholders own the
freehold, so that's pretty easy.

Also, any recommendations for companies to do the work?

Worth talking to your neighbours - so you can get frames that match theirs.

I don't like theirs all that much! :-)

OTTOMH I would be thinking about £1K per 'normal' window if things aren't
'complicated' (and these are big windows so possibly cost a bit more).

Thanks.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
[...]

No, we're the freeholders (the flat leaseholders), I am going to ask
what companies the other owners used.

It would be nice if you could install windows near the outside
of those projecting walls and extend your flat. That would need
freeholder approval plus building regs and wouldn't be cheap but
most of the cost would be the windows anyway and you are
already prepared to replace them.

Well away from London I would estimate the two smaller ones at
about £1500-£1750 each and £2500-£3000 for each of the larger
ones. Geting close to £10K, but that is well outside London.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2021 11:31, Theo wrote:

(or can window firms do everything from the inside these days?)

All my widows were replaced from the inside. Any sealing around the
frames can also be done from the inside before the DG panels are
inserted into the frame.

OTTOMH I would be thinking about £1K per 'normal' window if things aren't
'complicated' (and these are big windows so possibly cost a bit more).

They are big windows so my guess possibly double that per window. Any
glass below a certain height (from a floor) has to be safety glass as do
fully glazed doors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote

**** that thing in the middle is ugly.

Our flat is the lower one of the two duplex flats in the middle of the
block, i.e. its windows are the bottom four windows under the upper
duplex flat's balcony.

So what sort of ball-park figure are we looking at to get all four
windows replaced with double glazing? All the windows are are floor
to ceiling and the downstairs one on the right has a door onto the
balcony.

A few thousand pounds I guess, tens of thousands?

Also, any recommendations for companies to do the work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2021 17:24, alan_m wrote:
All my widows were replaced from the inside.

The mind boggles

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 04:58:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

https://isbd.uk/pictures/apex/image0.jpeg

**** that thing in the middle is ugly.

YOU will click on EVERY link you come across, eh, you sleepless lonely
senile sociopathic cretin? BG

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also of course some planning depts restrict the sort you can have but as the
others are done, then matching would seem to be in everyone's interest
generally.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Theo" wrote in message
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2021 11:31, Theo wrote:

(or can window firms do everything from the inside these days?)

All my widows were replaced from the inside. Any sealing around the
frames can also be done from the inside before the DG panels are
inserted into the frame.

OTTOMH I would be thinking about £1K per 'normal' window if things aren't
'complicated' (and these are big windows so possibly cost a bit more).

They are big windows so my guess possibly double that per window. Any
glass below a certain height (from a floor) has to be safety glass as do
fully glazed doors.

Strictly it doesn't if it has either small panes or safety bars...

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 10:59, Tim Streater wrote:
On 01 Apr 2021 at 11:16:52 BST, Chris Green wrote:

Also, any recommendations for companies to do the work?

Don't go with the likes of Anglia or Everest. They will quote high (hoping you
accept that) and then when you don't, badger you with a series of deals they
could do to get the price down and your business.

I got a quote from one of the bigger outfits. They started at around
£15k (after an immediate discount) and then later came down to around
£10.5k with almost daily phone calls.

In the end I went with a 3 man local business at £12k. The boss (Fensa
accredited) did the survey, quote and a lot of the work. Previously
unknown to me my neighbours had this company in just after I got my
first quote so I got to see the standard of workmanship. Their house is
the mirror image of mine and I went for identical style and size of
windows/doors, apart for more glazing in the doors. These are 1905
builds where nothing appears to be square The price also included
additional plastering work to make good a mismatch of previous repairs.
The deposit was bonded and final guarantee was insurance based so not
reliant of the company staying in business.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 01/04/2021 17:24, alan_m wrote:
All my widows were replaced from the inside.

The mind boggles

Quite. My modern window in the kitchen has the reveal plastered (and
tiled), making the opening smaller to the interior. Make a right mess to
replace like for like from the inside. And you'd still need to get to the
outside to seal round the frame.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And you'd still need to get to the
outside to seal round the frame.

You don't

Without the DG fitted the frame is just a large hole through the wall.
My DG fitter did all the sealing for the upstairs windows by leaning out
of these "holes"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

williamwright wrote:

alan_m wrote:

All my widows were replaced from the inside.

The mind boggles

Quite. My modern window in the kitchen has the reveal plastered (and
tiled), making the opening smaller to the interior.

So you angle the frame through the opening, then pull it back in against
the plaster reveal, I was able to do that for all mine apart from the
largest bedroom window, which also had roughcast round the outside
reveal, so I chipped the plaster off on one side for that one, it being
easier to repair plaster than roughcast.

Make a right mess to replace like for like from the inside. And you'd
still need to get to the outside to seal round the frame.

At a push you could do that from inside before fitting the glass, but
the additional weight might move the frame and make the silicone want to
pull away. For a first floor I was able to do that from a ladder.

4th floor flats might be a different matter ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 10:59, Tim Streater wrote:
Don't go with the likes of Anglia or Everest.

Difficult. Everest went bust last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...ime-guarantees
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 13:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

williamwright wrote:

alan_m wrote:

All my widows were replaced from the inside.

The mind boggles

Quite. My modern window in the kitchen has the reveal plastered (and
tiled), making the opening smaller to the interior.

So you angle the frame through the opening, then pull it back in against
the plaster reveal, I was able to do that for all mine apart from the
largest bedroom window, which also had roughcast round the outside
reveal, so I chipped the plaster off on one side for that one, it being
easier to repair plaster than roughcast.

Quite. That's how I did mine, but it was a long winded struggle doing
it on my own. Just as you get to the point where you have to reach
down to pick up a drill or whatever, you discover that it is out
of reach and you have to let go with both hands !!.

I used cheapo Crystal Windows and after removing the old timber
BOulton & Paul top hung frame I mortared in the separate plastic
cill first and made good the ends, built into the wall to match
the originals and then angle-manouvered the frame from inside
the house out through the reveal and back into and top of the
cill. This is when you discover that the measurements you have to
the DG company were correct !. Their instructions said to attach
the cill (supplied over length and needed cutting to length) to the
frame with stainless steel screws before installation. I ignored this.

Older houses with sash windows that are typically taller than wide
might need a different approach. The ones the OP intends to
replace will need an absolute minimum of two people to install.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

Don't go with the likes of Anglia or Everest.

Difficult. Everest went bust last year.

Oh dear, how sad.

Everest 2020 Ltd is the phoenix company, same directors, same slogan,
same postcode.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
On 01 Apr 2021 at 11:16:52 BST, Chris Green wrote:

Also, any recommendations for companies to do the work?

Don't go with the likes of Anglia or Everest. They will quote high (hoping
you
accept that) and then when you don't, badger you with a series of deals
they
could do to get the price down and your business. Visit a small number (we
did
five) of local DG outfits, see which people you like and that have what
you
want, and have two or three of them quote. The small outfits will quote
and
then that's the last you hear from them unless you wish to proceed.

Also: purely cosmetic but we decided it improved the look: check into (1)
ovolo profile, and (2) equal sight-lines.

The trouble with DG is that it looks like, well, DG. Not attractive
usually.

really?

from an aesthetic pov, personally I can't tell the difference between Chris'
current windows and the ones, that after looking very closely, have already
been replaced.

(1) above makes the windows (from the inside, at least) look more like
wooden
ones painted white and (2) makes all windows look the same size instead of
the
openers seeming to have thicker frames.

And avoid trickle vents if you can, you can always leave a window on its
night-vent setting to get air in.

now a mandatory requirement

Opening trickle vents lets in far less noise than leaving the window in the
slightly open position

Of course that depends upon whether where you are suffers from noise in the
first place, but I recon Chris' location is odds on

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

And avoid trickle vents if you can

now a mandatory requirement

Only mandatory if what they are replacing already has trickle vents.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 14:35, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

Don't go with the likes of Anglia or Everest.

Difficult. Everest went bust last year.

Oh dear, how sad.

Everest 2020 Ltd is the phoenix company, same directors, same slogan,
same postcode.

I thought directors of a defunct company were not allowed to be a
director of a company with a similar name?

There are 3 ways around this rule:
1) To change the name of the defunct company just before liquidation.
2) To set up a company preceding the defunct company going bust. The
company can then have a similar name.
3) Ask court for permission to become a director for the new company.

For the sheer hell of it the timeline is:

25th March 2020 Incorporation of EVEREST 2020 LIMITED
8th June 2020 Insolvency of E REALISATIONS 2020 LIMITED
3rd July 2020 Change of name from EVEREST LIMITED to E REALISATIONS
2020 LIMITED

Not many directors are common to both companies, one is Richard Mathieu
LEIGHTON, there may be more.

It does rather smell when another simi9lar named company is setup months
before insolvency by an 'interested' party.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
And avoid trickle vents if you can

now a mandatory requirement

Only mandatory if what they are replacing already has trickle vents.

Not sure it's that simple

Surely the rule is that the room must be provided with sufficient
ventilation

If a room previously didn't have trickle vents because it already has air
vents, then you might be right

but where the ventilation in the room was previously provided by "leaky"
widows (which is virtually a given for all old fashioned windows) and you
are replacing them with windows that provide a leak free environment, then
trickle vents must be installed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I still want to know how the widows were replaced from the inside.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 13:36, Andrew wrote:
On 02/04/2021 10:59, Tim Streater wrote:
Don't go with the likes of Anglia or Everest.

Difficult. Everest went bust last year.

I know someone who did 10+ years in the DG business. He says that was
common for a lot of DG companies to go bust on a regular basis and then
start trading the next day with only the "name" and future potential
customer leads having been sold on to new directors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 21:15, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 13:36, Andrew wrote:
On 02/04/2021 10:59, Tim Streater wrote:
Don't go with the likes of Anglia or Everest.

Difficult. Everest went bust last year.

I know someone who did 10+ years in the DG business. He says that was
common for a lot of DG companies to go bust on a regular basis and then
start trading the next day with only the "name" and future potential
customer leads having been sold on to new directors.

BBC "White Gold" drama series. Might still be on the
iPlayer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

And you'd still need to get to the
outside to seal round the frame.

You don't

Without the DG fitted the frame is just a large hole through the wall.
My DG fitter did all the sealing for the upstairs windows by leaning out
of these "holes"

That is going to depend very much on the house design.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

williamwright wrote:

alan_m wrote:

[...]

If outside access is possible, why would you want to fit it from the
inside anyway?

I DIYed the two I fitted to the rear of the house. Not replacments for the
Victorian originals, but much larger. I chose stock sized units which came
fully assembled.

If they ever need replacing, I'll do it from the outside. Scaffolding
isn't that expensive, and can be used for any painting necessary in that
area at the same time.

Of course if you're paying for the job to be done, the labour cost is
likely to be a major part of the total bill.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 13:36, Andrew wrote:
On 02/04/2021 10:59, Tim Streater wrote:
Don't go with the likes of Anglia or Everest.

Difficult. Everest went bust last year.

I know someone who did 10+ years in the DG business. He says that was
common for a lot of DG companies to go bust on a regular basis and then
start trading the next day with only the "name" and future potential
customer leads having been sold on to new directors.

Likely a good way of getting out of warranty etc claims.

--
*The modem is the message *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

If outside access is possible, why would you want to fit it from the
inside anyway?

So they don't have to work from scaffolding or ladders.

My biggest windows in the bays are fitted behind the decorative pillars
so fitting them from ten inside was the easiest option.
The windows at the rear of my property are fitted behind a slightly
arched upper opening.

If they ever need replacing, I'll do it from the outside. Scaffolding
isn't that expensive, and can be used for any painting necessary in that
area at the same time.

Front of terrace house £350 last time I hired scaffolding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 13:36, Andrew wrote:
On 02/04/2021 10:59, Tim Streater wrote:
Don't go with the likes of Anglia or Everest.

Difficult. Everest went bust last year.

I know someone who did 10+ years in the DG business. He says that was
common for a lot of DG companies to go bust on a regular basis and then
start trading the next day with only the "name" and future potential
customer leads having been sold on to new directors.

Likely a good way of getting out of warranty etc claims.

And escaping the reputation you have ended up with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:20:41 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 19:20, Rod Speed wrote:

And escaping the reputation you have ended up with.

99.999% don't follow the us and downs of businesses but when it comes to
perhaps a once in a lifetime purchase of DG they may consider a company
with the same name that has been around for 50 years may be good because
it has survived that long.

Its much like brand loyalty without realising that the brand may now be
just a badge put on no-name far east electronics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And escaping the reputation you have ended up with.

99.999% don't follow the us and downs of businesses
but when it comes to perhaps a once in a lifetime purchase
of DG they may consider a company with the same name
that has been around for 50 years may be good because
it has survived that long.

And others may well have heard of someone having
had a problem with a particular operation and avoid
them for that reason. So if your operation has had
plenty of problems, it can make sense to change names.

Its much like brand loyalty without realising that the brand
may now be just a badge put on no-name far east electronics.

And have changed radically with takeovers etc too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 06:04:48 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

about senile Rot Speed:
MID: