Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Contrast wall - which

I want to have a different coloured wall when I decorate the lounge.

20 x 12 feet

window & patio on one long side
fireplace & TV on one short side
doorway to hall other long side

I feel inclined to have the contrast and slightly darker wall as the long
side facing the window.

Are there any conventions or effects that this goes against?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2021 21:17, JohnP wrote:
I want to have a different coloured wall when I decorate the lounge.

20 x 12 feet

window & patio on one long side
fireplace & TV on one short side
doorway to hall other long side

I feel inclined to have the contrast and slightly darker wall as the long
side facing the window.

Are there any conventions or effects that this goes against?

Good grief. It is *your* lounge, do with it what *you* want.
Just be sure to call it a wall of colour to keep it politically correct.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
On 06/03/2021 21:17, JohnP wrote:
I want to have a different coloured wall when I decorate the lounge.

20 x 12 feet

window & patio on one long side
fireplace & TV on one short side
doorway to hall other long side

I feel inclined to have the contrast and slightly darker wall as the long
side facing the window.

Are there any conventions or effects that this goes against?

Good grief. It is *your* lounge, do with it what *you* want.
Just be sure to call it a wall of colour to keep it politically correct.

He is likely asking if that config has some non obvious
downsides, not what is politically correct, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

use strong colours over small areas, paler colours over
larger areas. Too much strong colour can be overwhelming. Remember
also the colour of your furniture.

1970s my bedroom was lime green with a chocolate accent wall!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 21:17:32 GMT, JohnP wrote:

I want to have a different coloured wall when I decorate the lounge.

20 x 12 feet

window & patio on one long side
fireplace & TV on one short side
doorway to hall other long side

I feel inclined to have the contrast and slightly darker wall as the
long side facing the window.

Are there any conventions or effects that this goes against?

My late wife was very good at that sort of thing. Amongst other
things, she had a little booklet - 'Hints for Home Decorators',
published by the Texalo Manufacturing Co. I see there's one for sale
on ABE, 16th Edition, 1930. https://tinyurl.com/y9ksh2bt Hers was
later, 23rd edition, so probably pre- or just post-war.

In it there's a simple guide for colour combinations:
(hope this works!)

Colour Colour Contrasting
of walls of woodwork colours

Red White or cream cream and
Venetian red and chocolate
chocolate

Blue Light and dark blue pale blue and
Light and dark rich rich red
red

Green Light and dark green Pale green and
Cream and old gold Old Gold

Yellow Cream and Old Gold Pale gold and
Pale pink and light red

Make of it what you will! What might have been in vogue pre-war may
seem old fashioned today.

Then there are colour wheels https://tinyurl.com/wrafztb and
https://tinyurl.com/y2sppvwq

Other points: use strong colours over small areas, paler colours over
larger areas. Too much strong colour can be overwhelming. Remember
also the colour of your furniture.

Thanks for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Exactly - There are "rules" that some "experts" would apply. I don't know
them. A bit like my wife tells me not to wear horizontal stipes!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2021 08:57, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

use strong colours over small areas, paler colours over
larger areas. Too much strong colour can be overwhelming. Remember
also the colour of your furniture.

1970s my bedroom was lime green with a chocolate accent wall!

In the 70s money came into the hands of people with no taste and even
less sense.

And consumer products went trash and stayed trash

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 19:57:10 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Where is that promised paint that changes colour when a voltage is applied
to it, must be at least ten years ago I read about that.

I remember during the 70s I went into one house where the whole of one wall
was tiled with mirrors, At first it made it look big, but after a while
seeing yourself all the time got onmy nerves. Still the owner seemed to
like the effect so that is what matters, I suppose.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Richard" wrote in message
On 06/03/2021 21:17, JohnP wrote:
I want to have a different coloured wall when I decorate the lounge.

20 x 12 feet

window & patio on one long side
fireplace & TV on one short side
doorway to hall other long side

I feel inclined to have the contrast and slightly darker wall as the long
side facing the window.

Are there any conventions or effects that this goes against?

Good grief. It is *your* lounge, do with it what *you* want.
Just be sure to call it a wall of colour to keep it politically correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:

I want to have a different coloured wall when I decorate the lounge.

20 x 12 feet

window & patio on one long side
fireplace & TV on one short side
doorway to hall other long side

I feel inclined to have the contrast and slightly darker wall as the long
side facing the window.

When we had our porch built, by an absolute jewel of a builder, he
suggested that when we painted the inside walls, we should not choose
white (which I had been thinking about): the porch would stick out like
a sore thumb: a darker colour would merge the porch into the house
better. He was absolutely right (we chose a dark salmon sort of
colour[1], which I had mixed at the Dulux counter).

J.

[1] Doubt if that would work for your long room wall, but it works
perfectly for our small porch at the front of the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Mar 2021 at 21:17:32 GMT, "JohnP" wrote:

I want to have a different coloured wall when I decorate the lounge.

20 x 12 feet

window & patio on one long side
fireplace & TV on one short side
doorway to hall other long side

I feel inclined to have the contrast and slightly darker wall as the long
side facing the window.

Are there any conventions or effects that this goes against?

There are no binding conventions and you are fully entitled to do it whichever
way looks good to you. But I think it is a little unfashionable among the
fashion police to have a contrasting wall colour at all, nowadays. A feature
thing in the middle of one wall is possibly the modern version?

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 21:17:32 GMT, JohnP wrote:

I want to have a different coloured wall when I decorate the lounge.

20 x 12 feet

window & patio on one long side
fireplace & TV on one short side
doorway to hall other long side

I feel inclined to have the contrast and slightly darker wall as the long
side facing the window.

Are there any conventions or effects that this goes against?

I'd do the wall that you look at the most - the one with the fireplace
and TV. (Against that, when I had my kitchen painted a few years ago I
had the wall opposite the window painted a different colour, as two of
the other walls were lined with cabinets and the third had the window,
there wasn't a lot of choice, but I though, and still think, that it
was better than having it all the same colour.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote in
:

On 6 Mar 2021 at 21:17:32 GMT, "JohnP" wrote:

I want to have a different coloured wall when I decorate the lounge.

20 x 12 feet

window & patio on one long side
fireplace & TV on one short side
doorway to hall other long side

I feel inclined to have the contrast and slightly darker wall as the
long side facing the window.

Are there any conventions or effects that this goes against?

There are no binding conventions and you are fully entitled to do it
whichever way looks good to you. But I think it is a little
unfashionable among the fashion police to have a contrasting wall
colour at all, nowadays. A feature thing in the middle of one wall is
possibly the modern version?

I suppose I could have the word "LOVE" on one wall!

Thinking soft ish colours - cream and a pale green maybe. Still battles to
be fought!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2021 14:39, JohnP wrote:
Thinking soft ish colours - cream and a pale green maybe. Still battles to
be fought!

I'm doing a room in dark green and cream. I really like it.

F & B Duck Green and string FWIW

--
Climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.
Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In the 70s money came into the hands of people with no taste and even
less sense.

Actually the correlation between wealth and taste is negative.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

I suppose I could have the word "LOVE" on one wall!

Going by RightMove, that's de rigueur
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/03/2021 16:06, Andy Burns wrote:
JohnP wrote:

I suppose I could have the word "LOVE" on one wall!

Going by RightMove, that's de rigueur

It's on the wall of most houses I do EICRs.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote

Exactly - There are "rules" that some "experts" would apply. I don't
know them. A bit like my wife tells me not to wear horizontal stipes!

Yeah, that one is timeless, not fashion, it make you look fatter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

use strong colours over small areas, paler colours over
larger areas. Too much strong colour can be overwhelming. Remember
also the colour of your furniture.

1970s my bedroom was lime green with a chocolate accent wall!

In the 70s money came into the hands of people with no taste and even less
sense.

And consumer products went trash and stayed trash

Dunno, modern stainless steel cutlery is pretty decent.

The prongs on forks are a bit too long for my taste tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
Where is that promised paint that changes colour when a voltage is applied
to it, must be at least ten years ago I read about that.

I remember during the 70s I went into one house where the whole of one
wall was tiled with mirrors, At first it made it look big, but after a
while seeing yourself all the time got onmy nerves. Still the owner
seemed to like the effect so that is what matters, I suppose.

Maybe works well for narcissists.

"Richard" wrote in message
On 06/03/2021 21:17, JohnP wrote:
I want to have a different coloured wall when I decorate the lounge.

20 x 12 feet

window & patio on one long side
fireplace & TV on one short side
doorway to hall other long side

I feel inclined to have the contrast and slightly darker wall as the
long
side facing the window.

Are there any conventions or effects that this goes against?

Good grief. It is *your* lounge, do with it what *you* want.
Just be sure to call it a wall of colour to keep it politically correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 04:37:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Maybe works well for narcissists.

Ah, the resident senile bull**** artist struck again! A mirrored wall makes
a room not only look larger but also brighter.

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

use strong colours over small areas, paler colours over
larger areas. Too much strong colour can be overwhelming. Remember
also the colour of your furniture.

1970s my bedroom was lime green with a chocolate accent wall!

Ford Capris came in that colour scheme too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

use strong colours over small areas, paler colours over
larger areas. Too much strong colour can be overwhelming. Remember
also the colour of your furniture.

1970s my bedroom was lime green with a chocolate accent wall!

In the 70s money came into the hands of people with no taste and even
less sense.

And consumer products went trash and stayed trash

In 2020 Princess Nuts Nuts seems to have the same affliction.

FFS how do you manage to spend £200K+ on wallpaper and cushions ?,
even Bercow couldn't manage that with the speakers residence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2021 08:51, Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

When I purchased my house 40 years ago everything was painted in a dark
colour. My hallway was mainly ruby red and just changing to a tinted
white made it look 3x larger. I watched one of those DIY home
improvement TV programs the other day and they did the reverse by
painting two long walls with a dark red which IMO made the room look
like a prison cell.

Friends moved into a rented property where a few days previously it had
been tarted up with paint including the owner thinking that a
contrasting dark coloured wall was trendy - she was wrong! Permission
was sought, and granted, to have it immediately repainted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

use strong colours over small areas, paler colours over
larger areas. Too much strong colour can be overwhelming. Remember
also the colour of your furniture.

1970s my bedroom was lime green with a chocolate accent wall!

In the 70s money came into the hands of people with no taste and even
less sense.

And consumer products went trash and stayed trash

Coloured bathroom suites - any colour except white

I had one labelled Champagne!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

use strong colours over small areas, paler colours over
larger areas. Too much strong colour can be overwhelming. Remember
also the colour of your furniture.

1970s my bedroom was lime green with a chocolate accent wall!

In the 70s money came into the hands of people with no taste and even
less sense.

And consumer products went trash and stayed trash

Coloured bathroom suites - any colour except white

I had one labelled Champagne!

I chose one that shows skid marks less, so **** colored.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2021 19:42, Rod Speed wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message

Coloured bathroom suites - any colour except white

I had one labelled Champagne!

I chose one that shows skid marks less, so **** colored.

Champagne was **** coloured (a green - brown)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message

Coloured bathroom suites - any colour except white

I had one labelled Champagne!

I chose one that shows skid marks less, so **** colored.

Champagne was **** coloured (a green - brown)

None of my **** is ever green - brown.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 04:11:01 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Champagne was **** coloured (a green - brown)

None of my **** is ever green - brown.

Why, are you telling us that you can look inside your head, senile ****head?

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."