Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fan/Blower bearing support

I have an air handling unit down due to fan failure .... its a DC
variable speed blower, and the rotor is a tangential set of blades
fitted around the motor .... on one end there is a ball bearing race
that is held in the form of rubber isolating mount/bush.
Presumably to provide noise isolation and some self-centering.

The bearing has seized .. OK I can replace that, but the rubber bush it
mounts in is very soft ... so assume damaged.

I have ordered a new blower but there is a 13 week lead time !

The blower is EBM fan Model D1G133-DC17-52 48V 118W

I have uploaded picture of the rubber bush in its 'spider frame' ....
does anybody know if the rubber 'bush' is a standard item I can get
anywhere else.

EBM advise they don't sell parts only complete assemblies (13 weeks)

https://flic.kr/p/2kHeKth
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick was thinking very hard :
I have uploaded picture of the rubber bush in its 'spider frame' .... does
anybody know if the rubber 'bush' is a standard item I can get anywhere
else.

EBM advise they don't sell parts only complete assemblies (13 weeks)

The bush will probably be a standard part, take it along to a good seal
and bearing supplier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2021 14:55, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
rick was thinking very hard :
I have uploaded picture of the rubber bush in its 'spider frame' ....
does anybody know if the rubber 'bush'* is a standard item I can get
anywhere else.

EBM advise they don't sell parts only complete assemblies* (13 weeks)

The bush will probably be a standard part, take it along to a good seal
and bearing supplier.

I have a 'Bearing Supplies' outlet good for any bearings & seals .....
didn't think they would have anything, but I'll try them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rick" wrote in message
I have an air handling unit down due to fan failure .... its a DC variable
speed blower, and the rotor is a tangential set of blades fitted around the
motor .... on one end there is a ball bearing race that is held in the form
of rubber isolating mount/bush.
Presumably to provide noise isolation and some self-centering.

The bearing has seized .. OK I can replace that, but the rubber bush it
mounts in is very soft ... so assume damaged.

https://flic.kr/p/2kHeKth

Yes I Did look at the photo!
If the new bearing is not a good fit in that rubber housing I would try some
Silicone Moulding Rubber

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2021 17:40, Mark wrote:
"rick" wrote in message
I have an air handling unit down due to fan failure .... its a DC variable
speed blower, and the rotor is a tangential set of blades fitted around the
motor .... on one end there is a ball bearing race that is held in the form
of rubber isolating mount/bush.
Presumably to provide noise isolation and some self-centering.

The bearing has seized .. OK I can replace that, but the rubber bush it
mounts in is very soft ... so assume damaged.

https://flic.kr/p/2kHeKth

Yes I Did look at the photo!
If the new bearing is not a good fit in that rubber housing I would try some
Silicone Moulding Rubber

That was my thought too. Perhaps a film of grease on the moving parts so
they are still free to turn after potting in rubber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2021 19:04, Fredxx wrote:
On 05/03/2021 17:40, Mark wrote:
"rick" wrote in message
I have an air handling unit down due to fan failure .... its a DC
variable
speed blower, and the rotor is a tangential set of blades fitted
around the
motor .... on one end there is a ball bearing race that is held in
the form
of rubber isolating mount/bush.
Presumably to provide noise isolation and some self-centering.

The bearing has seized .. OK I can replace that, but the rubber bush it
mounts in is very soft ... so assume damaged.

https://flic.kr/p/2kHeKth

Yes I Did look at the photo!
If the new bearing is not a good fit in that rubber housing I would
try some
Silicone Moulding Rubber

That was my thought too. Perhaps a film of grease on the moving parts so
they are still free to turn after potting in rubber.

Lots of corrosion on what was a galvanised? support.
Where does this blower live ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2021 17:40, Mark wrote:
"rick" wrote in message
I have an air handling unit down due to fan failure .... its a DC
variable
speed blower, and the rotor is a tangential set of blades fitted
around the
motor .... on one end there is a ball bearing race that is held in
the form
of rubber isolating mount/bush.
Presumably to provide noise isolation and some self-centering.

The bearing has seized .. OK I can replace that, but the rubber bush it
mounts in is very soft ... so assume damaged.

https://flic.kr/p/2kHeKth

Yes I Did look at the photo!
If the new bearing is not a good fit in that rubber housing I would
try some
Silicone Moulding Rubber

That was my thought too. Perhaps a film of grease on the moving parts so
they are still free to turn after potting in rubber.

I suspect it might be a "special" but still might be worth asking
"Bearing Services" or whatever they call themselves now.

Otherwise I would be thinking about DIY-ing. RTV (room temperature
vulcanisation) is the magic search phrase to describe two-part silicone
"casting" rubbers. The final result tends to be fairly soft, probably
softer than "car engine mounting" type rubber. No need for release
agents with RTV, this does not stick to anything. I would probably be
trying to fabricate something from rubber sheet (but I have off-cuts of
horse matting to hand).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2021 17:40, Mark wrote:
"rick" wrote in message
[...]

In a domestic heat recovery ventilation unit