Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Faulty VHS

I've got two VHS players. One works fine.

The other is a Philips VR 608. Been used very little. It was bought purely
to play NTSC VHS tapes - my main machine, a Panasonic S-VHS wouldn't.

On powering up, get the welcome screen. Can select the setup menu too.
Connected via SCART, selecting that input routes the TV video and audio
back to the TV. Tape loads and runs - but no pic or audio. Checked the
combi head with a baby bud and AF spray - perfectly clean - as is the
entire inside.

With something that age I'd suspect the PS, a SMPS. But no test points
marked on the PCB. But since the electronics mostly work and the motors
etc too, could there be one supply not working?

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

I've got two VHS players. One works fine.

The other is a Philips VR 608. Been used very little. It was bought
purely to play NTSC VHS tapes - my main machine, a Panasonic S-VHS
wouldn't.

On powering up, get the welcome screen. Can select the setup menu too.
Connected via SCART, selecting that input routes the TV video and
audio back to the TV. Tape loads and runs - but no pic or audio.
Checked the combi head with a baby bud and AF spray - perfectly clean
- as is the entire inside.

With something that age I'd suspect the PS, a SMPS. But no test points
marked on the PCB. But since the electronics mostly work and the
motors etc too, could there be one supply not working?

Is there an output to SCART control?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

I've got two VHS players. One works fine.

The other is a Philips VR 608. Been used very little. It was bought
purely to play NTSC VHS tapes - my main machine, a Panasonic S-VHS
wouldn't.

On powering up, get the welcome screen. Can select the setup menu too.
Connected via SCART, selecting that input routes the TV video and
audio back to the TV. Tape loads and runs - but no pic or audio.
Checked the combi head with a baby bud and AF spray - perfectly clean
- as is the entire inside.

With something that age I'd suspect the PS, a SMPS. But no test points
marked on the PCB. But since the electronics mostly work and the
motors etc too, could there be one supply not working?

Is there an output to SCART control?

Only video output is SCART. And proved that works as you can select the
VCR menu. But it also gives a start up message.

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Sounds more like switching at fault. Is it mechanical or one of those
awful diode switching gizmos.

It's quite a late VHS (replays NTSCC). Mechanical ones much older.

--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.