Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: C5 at 9 tonight, 'Inside Chernobyl'.

In case you hadn't see it mentioned, C5 at 9 tonight, 'Inside
Chernobyl with Ben Fogle'.

"Channel 5 has commissioned a one-off, feature-length documentary that
follows presenter Ben Fogle as he spends a week living inside the
Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, thirty-five years after the world’s worst
nuclear accident."

https://www.theknowledgeonline.com/the-knowledge-bulletin/post/2021/02/01/ben-fogle-explores-chernobyl-for-c5

"Anyone entering the newly-opened control room is limited to just five
minutes for radiation safety reasons.", good to keep the tourists
moving though quickly. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 16:40:23 +0000, T i m wrote:

In case you hadn't see it mentioned, C5 at 9 tonight, 'Inside Chernobyl
with Ben Fogle'.

"Channel 5 has commissioned a one-off, feature-length documentary that
follows presenter Ben Fogle as he spends a week living inside the
Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, thirty-five years after the worldÂ’s worst
nuclear accident."

https://www.theknowledgeonline.com/t...edge-bulletin/

post/2021/02/01/ben-fogle-explores-chernobyl-for-c5

"Anyone entering the newly-opened control room is limited to just five
minutes for radiation safety reasons.", good to keep the tourists moving
though quickly. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Last time I watched a documentary about Chernobyl, the cameras were
showing scintillations due the effects of the background radiation. They
should have the external shield finished now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 16:55:05 -0000 (UTC), jon wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 16:40:23 +0000, T i m wrote:

In case you hadn't see it mentioned, C5 at 9 tonight, 'Inside Chernobyl
with Ben Fogle'.

"Channel 5 has commissioned a one-off, feature-length documentary that
follows presenter Ben Fogle as he spends a week living inside the
Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, thirty-five years after the world?s worst
nuclear accident."

https://www.theknowledgeonline.com/t...edge-bulletin/

post/2021/02/01/ben-fogle-explores-chernobyl-for-c5

"Anyone entering the newly-opened control room is limited to just five
minutes for radiation safety reasons.", good to keep the tourists moving
though quickly. ;-)

Last time I watched a documentary about Chernobyl, the cameras were
showing scintillations due the effects of the background radiation.

Oooerr. A digital spinthariscope. ;-)

They
should have the external shield finished now.

Hey, I'm ~1300 miles away, I'm safe here ...

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 16:40, T i m wrote:
In case you hadn't see it mentioned, C5 at 9 tonight, 'Inside
Chernobyl with Ben Fogle'.

"Channel 5 has commissioned a one-off, feature-length documentary that
follows presenter Ben Fogle as he spends a week living inside the
Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, thirty-five years after the worlds worst
nuclear accident."

https://www.theknowledgeonline.com/the-knowledge-bulletin/post/2021/02/01/ben-fogle-explores-chernobyl-for-c5

"Anyone entering the newly-opened control room is limited to just five
minutes for radiation safety reasons.", good to keep the tourists
moving though quickly. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

sounds really scintillating!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 19:29:09 +0000, SH wrote:

snip

sounds really scintillating!

Quite. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default C5 at 9 tonight, 'Inside Chernobyl'.

Could be interesting I watched that Horizon back when it happened of those
scientists trying to find out how far the meltdown had gone under the
reactor, and all the el cheapo improvised devices like a radio controlled
toy car with a camera on top to find the source of the radiation the so
called elephants foot of multicoloured steaming core witch was so
radioactive the camera was like a blizzard.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
news
In case you hadn't see it mentioned, C5 at 9 tonight, 'Inside
Chernobyl with Ben Fogle'.

"Channel 5 has commissioned a one-off, feature-length documentary that
follows presenter Ben Fogle as he spends a week living inside the
Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, thirty-five years after the world's worst
nuclear accident."

https://www.theknowledgeonline.com/the-knowledge-bulletin/post/2021/02/01/ben-fogle-explores-chernobyl-for-c5

"Anyone entering the newly-opened control room is limited to just five
minutes for radiation safety reasons.", good to keep the tourists
moving though quickly. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 22:00:34 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Could be interesting I watched that Horizon back when it happened of those
scientists trying to find out how far the meltdown had gone under the
reactor, and all the el cheapo improvised devices like a radio controlled
toy car with a camera on top to find the source of the radiation the so
called elephants foot of multicoloured steaming core witch was so
radioactive the camera was like a blizzard.

I bet!

I think there must have been two Chernobyl reactors disasters, the
little one the 'Nuke Advocates' here talk about and the one covered on
the documentary were 'thousands' of liquidators (clean-up-people) died
and thousands of people had to suffer the upheaval and stress of being
evacuated.

They also mentioned the word 'exploded' a few times but I guess they
were just miss-informed (someone just flicked the wrong switch and it
went 'a bit wrong').

I swear they also mentioned that the site would be contaminated for
thousands of years but they are probably just saying that to keep the
tourists out.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Could be interesting I watched that Horizon back when it happened of those
scientists trying to find out how far the meltdown had gone under the
reactor, and all the el cheapo improvised devices like a radio controlled
toy car with a camera on top to find the source of the radiation the so
called elephants foot of multicoloured steaming core witch was so
radioactive the camera was like a blizzard.

I bet!

I think there must have been two Chernobyl reactors disasters, the
little one the 'Nuke Advocates' here talk about and the one covered on
the documentary were 'thousands' of liquidators (clean-up-people) died
and thousands of people had to suffer the upheaval and stress of being
evacuated.

You do get easily confused.

So a lot less than the 230,000 who died in a single dam burst:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Banqiao_Dam_failure

It goes to show how dangerous green energy is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

wrote:

[...]

Yes, a proper holocaust.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Really?
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/e...clear-disaster

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

and big picture, add all the world's nuclear power deaths together over
the history of the industry, and it's significantly fewer than will die
from coal generation in the next year...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Could be interesting I watched that Horizon back when it happened of
those scientists trying to find out how far the meltdown had gone under
the reactor, and all the el cheapo improvised devices like a radio
controlled toy car with a camera on top to find the source of the
radiation the so called elephants foot of multicoloured steamingÂ* core
[...]

Given the non-linear effect of radiation dosage it's always difficult to
know which apart represents the actual final toll and will always be a
hand-waving approximation.

If a nuclear even like this occurs every 40 years then the number of
annual premature deaths is ~ 1,500 (taking maximum in table) and so many
times lower than from other forms of energy production:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/h...rgy-production

It's also difficult to equate premature deaths withy actual deaths and
perhaps man years lost would be more appropriate especially when
comparing to events like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Banqiao_Dam_failure

That's probably equivalent to 1million premature deaths.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 16:55, jon wrote:
[...]

Those will have been in the seriously hot places though.

I don't see any particular reason why the control room should have a "5
minute" limit given that it probably takes half an hour to get there
from the outside of the structures. It will be interesting to see if
they disclose their dose control criteria. (A mate of mine visited 30
years ago and IIRC the doses were not particularly high).