Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default C5 at 9 tonight, 'Inside Chernobyl'.

On 04/03/2021 06:45, Richard wrote:
On 04/03/2021 05:50, jon wrote:
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 22:36:15 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 22:00:34 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Could be interesting I watched that Horizon back when it happened of
those scientists trying to find out how far the meltdown had gone under
the reactor, and all the el cheapo improvised devices like a radio
controlled toy car with a camera on top to find the source of the
radiation the so called elephants foot of multicoloured steamingÂ* core
witch was so radioactive the camera was like a blizzard.

I bet!

I think there must have been two Chernobyl reactors disasters, the
little one the 'Nuke Advocates' here talk about and the one covered on
the documentary were 'thousands' of liquidators (clean-up-people) died
and thousands of people had to suffer the upheaval and stress of being
evacuated.

They also mentioned the word 'exploded' a few times but I guess they
were just miss-informed (someone just flicked the wrong switch and it
went 'a bit wrong').

I swear they also mentioned that the site would be contaminated for
thousands of years but they are probably just saying that to keep the
tourists out.

Cheers, T i m

Yes, a proper holocaust.

Really?
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/e...clear-disaster

Given the non-linear effect of radiation dosage it's always difficult to
know which apart represents the actual final toll and will always be a
hand-waving approximation.

If a nuclear even like this occurs every 40 years then the number of
annual premature deaths is ~ 1,500 (taking maximum in table) and so many
times lower than from other forms of energy production:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/h...rgy-production

It's also difficult to equate premature deaths withy actual deaths and
perhaps man years lost would be more appropriate especially when
comparing to events like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Banqiao_Dam_failure

That's probably equivalent to 1million premature deaths.