Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Default OT Nearly got scammed ...

Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller
in a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she
could speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't find
her glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font garden to
come in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke to her....she
asked me if I had my computer on and what was the key to the right of
CTRL....I told her FN and she said to push the windows key to the right
of that......at that point I twigged it was a scam and hung up....she
phoned back imediately and I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam
but the scarry thing was The wife would have fell for it....what info
were they after after they took over the computer ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In article ,
Jimmy Stewart wrote:
Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller
in a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she
could speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't find
her glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font garden to
come in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke to her....she
asked me if I had my computer on and what was the key to the right of
CTRL....I told her FN and she said to push the windows key to the right
of that......at that point I twigged it was a scam and hung up....she
phoned back imediately and I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam
but the scarry thing was The wife would have fell for it....what info
were they after after they took over the computer ?

I had one of these calls a few months ago. When I said the key had a
cogwheel on it, there was a long pause. Then "Is it a Windows computer?",
to which I replied "No" and they hung up.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 13:04, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

I did that some time ago..got them all excited wasted half an hour of
their time before they twigged i was running Linux.

Unfortunately it also wasted half an hour of my time too.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:
[...]

I was running RISC OS, as i am now.

Unfortunately it also wasted half an hour of my time too.

+!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:
[...]

Well full marks for rarity, I don't think everything I need is on
RISCOS, sadly...

Unfortunately it also wasted half an hour of my time too.

+!

--
€œPeople believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:
[...]

Agreed; I also have a Windows10 Desktop. 2 Windows 10 laptops which can run
Virtual Acorn, a RISC OS laptop (used for society accounts) and an iPad Pro
on which I keep 'sheet' music.

All my DTP work is done on RISC OS. Laptops were originally for taking
proofs to 'customers' and, if necesssary, amending on the spot.

Unfortunately it also wasted half an hour of my time too.

+!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

Think of it as your good deed for the day - one less vulnerable person
scammed in that time.

I have a stupid neighbour and I am always finding he has been scammed,
gets paranoid, changes all his passwords and then cant get any emåil or
wifi. That because he insists on being on BT.

When ever I get a phone call from 'BT ' 'about my internet' i tell them
I am not on BT so **** off

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
jon jon is offline

Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

Not having a landline solves so many problems.

I need one for my modem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

But you dont have to have a phone plugged into it or even a phone service
over it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

Wouldnt work for him, he cant work out how to answer an incoming call on a
mobile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

"Jimmy Stewart" wrote in message
Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller in
a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she could
speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't find her
glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font garden to come in
and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke to her....she asked me
if I had my computer on and what was the key to the right of CTRL....I
told her FN and she said to push the windows key to the right of
that......at that point I twigged it was a scam and hung up....she phoned
back imediately and I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam but the
scarry thing was The wife would have fell for it....what info were they
after after they took over the computer ?

what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

How are they supposed to know this?

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:
what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

(i) mostly unintelligent people
(ii) or supposedly intelligent people who haven't a clue how *anything*
works *at all* (C.f. 'Art Students').

How are they supposed to know this?

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

Don't need that. traffic analysis can give you a clue actually.

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:
what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

(i) mostly unintelligent people
(ii) or supposedly intelligent people who haven't a clue how *anything*
works *at all* (C.f. 'Art Students').

How are they supposed to know this?

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

Don't need that. traffic analysis can give you a clue actually.

but that's a fault within their network

not with my computer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

"tim..." wrote in message

On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:
what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

(i) mostly unintelligent people
(ii) or supposedly intelligent people who haven't a clue how *anything*
works *at all* (C.f. 'Art Students').

How are they supposed to know this?

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or
something?

Don't need that. traffic analysis can give you a clue actually.

but that's a fault within their network

Nope, it can often be with your computer.

not with my computer

Wrong, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 16:34, tim... wrote:

On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:
what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says
"your computer is running slowly"

(i) mostly unintelligent people
(ii) or supposedly intelligent people who haven't a clue how
*anything* works *at all* (C.f. 'Art Students').

How are they supposed to know this?

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or
something?

Don't need that. traffic analysis can give you a clue actually.

but that's a fault within their network

No.
If you car is travelling slow as evinced by e.g. a GPS signal phoning
home, it might be the car or it might be the traffic. You can't tell.
But if all the other cars are travelling faster, its a good hint the
reason is in YOUR car

not with my computer

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 16:34, tim... wrote:

On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:
what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

(i) mostly unintelligent people
(ii) or supposedly intelligent people who haven't a clue how *anything*
works *at all* (C.f. 'Art Students').

How are they supposed to know this?

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or
something?

Don't need that. traffic analysis can give you a clue actually.

but that's a fault within their network

No.
If you car is travelling slow as evinced by e.g. a GPS signal phoning
home, it might be the car or it might be the traffic.

or it could be that I am just driving slower

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In article , tim...
wrote:

[...]

your router has reported this, of course

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:

[...]

There are a lot of unintelligent people and intelligent ones that know
little about computers.

How are they supposed to know this?

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

Lots of people know that Windows reports all sorts of things back to
Microsoft and when they get a call from "Microsoft Support" they think
it's real.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:

[...]

problem is fecking Virgin media is slow even when a speed test says
otherwise.....
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:

[...]

Ours is fine. Virgin does slow down when they are monitoring your
connection for the police.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 20:49, Radio Man wrote:
Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:

[...]

nice one brian...tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

"tim..." wrote in message

[...]

Someone who doesnt understand anything about
computers and that is by far the majority of people.

How are they supposed to know this?

It isnt hard for the service provider to see
that a remote computer is running slowly
and not surprising that a member of the
public assumes that is possible.

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

They dont need that, just monitor the
traffic over the service being provided.

And most computers do in fact have
a camera looking at the user too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:

what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

There are people around who aren't very intelligent. In fact some really
stupid people seem to survive to a ripe old age.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

williamwright wrote
tim... wrote

what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

There are people around who aren't very intelligent. In fact some really
stupid people seem to survive to a ripe old age.

And plenty more that know so little about technology that
they dont have a clue whether their service provider can
work out if their computer is running slow or not but are
aware that a service provider can ring you and tell you
that there is a problem with the service being provided.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 10:27:43 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

There are people around who aren't very intelligent. In fact some really
stupid people seem to survive to a ripe old age.

And plenty more

Good to see that you felt personally addressed, you abysmally stupid senile
smartass!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
williamwright wrote
tim... wrote

what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

There are people around who aren't very intelligent. In fact some
really stupid people seem to survive to a ripe old age.

And plenty more that know so little about technology that they don‘t have
a clue whether their service provider can work out if their computer is
running slow or not but are aware that a service provider can ring you
and tell you that there is a problem with the service being provided.

I know the proprietor of my ISP personally. I know he can interrogate my
router (which he provided). He also know my phone number, so he can ring me.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

williamwright wrote:
On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:

what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

There are people around who aren't very intelligent. In fact some really
stupid people seem to survive to a ripe old age.

No comment! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Jimmy Stewart wrote

Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller in
a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she could
speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't find her
glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font garden

Didnt realise you baptised little kids in your garden. Funky...

to come in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke to her....
she asked me if I had my computer on and what was the key to the right of
CTRL....I told her FN and she said to push the windows key to the right of
that......at that point I twigged it was a scam and hung up....she phoned
back imediately and I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam but the
scarry thing was The wife would have fell for it....

Time to trade her in on a new bimbo.

what info were they after after they took over the computer ?

Whatever is on it thats useful to them like you banking details and
passwords etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 19:18, Rod Speed wrote:
Jimmy Stewart wrote

[...]

but I have to put in my banking stuff manually...???
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

[...]

They arent to know that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Default Poor Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 06:18:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile scum's latest troll**** unread

You are getting pretty much ignored by everyone (except by me), eh, senile
lonely scum? LOL

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 11:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 11:26:44 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller
in a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she
could speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't find
her glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font garden to
come in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke to her....she
asked me if I had my computer on and what was the key to the right of
CTRL....I told her FN and she said to push the windows key to the right
of that......at that point I twigged it was a scam and hung up....she
phoned back imediately and I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam
but the scarry thing was The wife would have fell for it....what info
were they after after they took over the computer ?

Who knows ? But they probably make a cent or two for every infected
computer they can deliver to the bot networks.

Crypto mining was in vogue a while back.

is pushing the windows key one of the steps to give them control of your
computer ? ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
GB GB is offline

On 03/03/2021 11:40, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

Thanks goodness you didn't push it. If you had pressed the windows key
and R at the same time, they could have taken over your soul. Mind you,
most changes would be an improvement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 12:00:48 +0000, GB wrote:

[...]

oh, that is so unfair the way you treat jimbo

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In message , jon writes
[...]

He has no soul to take over.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03-03-2021 12:40, jon wrote:
[...]

The man is ignorant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 21:38, Radio Man wrote:
On 03-03-2021 12:40, jon wrote:
[...]

oh, that is so unfairÂ*Â*Â* the way you treat jimbo

The man is ignorant.

The man doesn't care what you think brian ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 12:00, GB wrote:
[...]

come to think of it she did say push both....
http://www.zeigen.com/shortcuts/2007/08/03/run/